Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 
thejapanesezombie

Your betta naming stories!

How did you come to a decision on what to call your betta fish? Do you use a systematic method? Is it random? Are they named after people?

I usually name mine after something I see the first day I get them. Aldo was actually named because the day I picked him up from the mall I passed by a shoe store with the same name.
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 
DragonFish

I'm horrible at coming up with names, especially since I like to name my pets things that are a little more unusual. A while back, as sort of a way to help me limit my fish buying since I worked at an LFS and got to see the new shipments of bettas every week....I came up with a rule that 1. Helped me limit the fish I brought home and 2. Helped me name them. For the latter reason, I've sort of kept with it xD

All of my fish are named after characters from Cartoons, shows, comics, anime/manga, or books...and I have to be able to come up with at least one name for a fish before I bring it home. xD
Rhys and Axis are characters from one of my favorite Webcomics....
Alois and Ciel are characters from the Anime/Manga Kuro****suji/Black Butler
And Break is named after one of my favorite characters from the Anime/Manga Pandora Hearts.

So, yeah xDD Thats how I name my fish.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #3 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
I'm horrible at coming up with names, especially since I like to name my pets things that are a little more unusual. A while back, as sort of a way to help me limit my fish buying since I worked at an LFS and got to see the new shipments of bettas every week....I came up with a rule that 1. Helped me limit the fish I brought home and 2. Helped me name them. For the latter reason, I've sort of kept with it xD

All of my fish are named after characters from Cartoons, shows, comics, anime/manga, or books...and I have to be able to come up with at least one name for a fish before I bring it home. xD
Rhys and Axis are characters from one of my favorite Webcomics....
Alois and Ciel are characters from the Anime/Manga Kuro****suji/Black Butler
And Break is named after one of my favorite characters from the Anime/Manga Pandora Hearts.

So, yeah xDD Thats how I name my fish.

:D that's cute! And a really good idea! hehe, and I can only imagine working at a LFS I would be bringing them home left and right too. The only thing that stops me from doing so is not wanting to divide my tank! (phew!)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Lol xD Oh, it was horrible. Every week we got in new shipments and I always got the first look at them. I was definitely bringing home fish left and right. I had my 20 long, my 10, and my 5 divided, plus about 4-5 2-ish gallon tanks.....ahh, how I miss all of my boys and tanks...and that job too xD I LOVE all the care that goes into keeping, and where I worked was a HUGE fish room with about 200+ tanks ranging from 20-like 200 gallons. I got to care for, look at, and learn about all kinds of different fish.....it was such a blast. We made a rather sudden 2000+ mile move though for my dads job, so I had to leave that job, tare down my big tanks, and find homes for most of my fish. :/

Now the only thing stopping me is that we're not really supposed to have animals in our rent house. ^^; 5 is definitely my current max...and the last one I actually smuggled into the house xD
Hopefully the family will find a place soon though....or I'll move out on my own once I can snag a job around here xD Once one or the other happens, I'm totally dragging out my big 50 bow again and doing something with it; probably a huge Sorority.

Last edited by DragonFish; 12-26-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Lol xD Oh, it was horrible. Every week we got in new shipments and I always got the first look at them. I was definitely bringing home fish left and right. I had my 20 long, my 10, and my 5 divided, plus about 4-5 2-ish gallon tanks.....ahh, how I miss all of my boys and tanks...and that job too xD I LOVE all the care that goes into keeping. I know, I know, I'm crazy....

Now the only thing stopping me is that we're not really supposed to have animals in our rent house. ^^; 5 is definitely my current max...and the last one I actually smuggled into the house xD
Hopefully the family will find a place soon though....or I'll move out on my own once I can snag a job around here xD Once one or the other happens, I'm totally dragging out my big 50 bow again and doing something with it; probably a huge Sorority.
LOL oh my god. That would be me right there! Too many pretty fish! But seriously though, does the apartment restrict fish too though? I thought those kind of rules only applied to animals that roamed on land and not in the water haha!! Although thinking about it if I had a 20g tank, I'd probably buy one fancy goldfish to put in it. I'm too afraid if I divide a tank and one gets sick all of them will suffer after you know what I mean?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
Jrf456

I LOVE Christmas.. So I usually try to find something Christmas about my fish.. Like Garland, since he's red and green, Douglas, like a douglas fir Christmas tree since he's red and green with a black body, and Poinsettia, my most recent, because I had just bought a purple poinsettia flower and she has purple fins.

As for my other 3.. I usually like to name them first names. Skyden was something I made up since he's white and blue like the clouds in the sky, Heather.. Well, just because I like the name Heather, and Brent after a character in Gone With The Wind.

So first names and Christmas.. xD
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
DragonFish

We're actually renting a house xD But, the Land Lords said no pets at all....and sometimes with fish, especially bigger tanks, from the perspective of a Land Lord, there could be water damages if something leaks or spills....you know. We just....didn't mention the fish(I did move three of my boys with me...one passed a couple of weeks ago sadly, but he got something bacterial)and the lizard in case they did say no.
So, I'm just extra careful with water changes and such xD LOTS of towels.

I actually had an ich outbreak in my 20 long, which I'd divided for 5 boys. It wasn't all that bad though. I treated the tank and everything was fine.
The trick is just to watch everyone I think. If you see someone not acting normal, QT immediately and keep an eye on everyone a little closer, then treat accordingly. Also QTing for a week or two before adding someone new is helpful, just to be safe. But really you'll want to just make sure your dividers are secure more then anything....I find doubling up on the mesh helps, if you're like me and don't want to break out the silicone ;P
....I'll his hush now xD I'm rambling.

Awwwww <3 I LOVE the name Poinsettia btw! Poinsettias are one of my favorite things about the holidays xD
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i name mine after characters in whatever i'm into at the moment.
Lulu was after one of the characters in Final Fantasy X
Ichi was actually named after a friend of mine in Japan...
Spy, Heavy, Scout, Sniper, and Medic are the characters in Team Fortress 2... that's my theme now. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 
callmeconfused

My first was "sushi"...konda self explanatory, lol. Most were named based on looks, i.e. a marble names "fetti" because she looked like she was sprinkled in confetti. "Lavender" was my purple girl. My mom named "abigail" and "eleanore". The two I currently have are "Abba", named during my niece's Mamma mia stage, and my new boy "Monroe". I named him after my favorite character on the show Grimm.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

I've kept an unusual sounding theme or asian theme since nothing else I found would fit the betta's I got or after characters from anime and manga.

Akira - Named after Akira Touya from Hikaru No Go

Kai - Ocean.

Lelouch - Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion..Really funny story with that one.

I was looking at him and when my mom inquired about him a Petsmart employee grabbed him and shook the cup pissing me and Lelouch off. Lulu had a bubble nest in his cup and was hiding under it like it was a fort and he was flaring like crazy all angered and you could tell he wanted me to get him out of there.

I named him Lelouch after the character and it branched to being Lelouch of the Petsmart Rebellion. (His pic on dA says Code Betta on the title.) And he's got the nickname of Lulu or Lulu-boy.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote