Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 
Magikarp

Baby betta advice?

Hey guys, I just purchased a baby betta from Petco about one week ago. I set him up in a 10 gallon tank with a heater + filter. I've been researching about bettas for a couple of months now, but havent really looked into baby bettas. I'm a bit nervous since I've heard that it can be difficult to take care of these guys.

Here's my tank (both plants are silk plants)

I put 2 layers of pantyhose over the filter and baffled it so the current wouldn't be too strong.

The heater stays at a constant 80-81F.

He's been swimming around a lot and has been eating crushed betta pellets twice a day, equaling one full pellet a day. (he eats after the food sinks to the floor)

Is there any advice that can be given to me? His colors are amazing! A blue/red (delta i believe).

Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

When they sell betta's in stores, they sell them once they're mature- he's no longer a baby, he's a young adult ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

They've started selling very young bettas or bettas that are severely stunted to look young at petco.. sickening really.

He/She needs high quality, high protien food such as NLS growth formula, frozen brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, or frozen glass worms (mosquito larvae).

They need to be fed until they have a little bulge to the their tummy, at least twice daily.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #4 
Magikarp

Thanks for the help! I have a pack of frozen brine shrimp in the freezer. I'll be sure to feed him those instead of pellets from now on.
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #5 
Myates

What a cutie! Sounds like you are doing everything right, keep it up :)

I have to agree, the new "baby bettas" they are selling are way too young and shouldn't be sold as they are. Most are before they start to grow out their fins enough to show a difference between males and females even. Poor little ones..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 
Kyleighs Mommy

New here! Questions?

Okay so I am a proud new owner of a Betta and I'm kinda falling for the obsession I see that lots of you have. I have a few questions and please don't be too hard on me because I am new to this.

1) My betta is in a 1.5 gallon :( I didn't know the tank should be bigger... darn PetSmart people. Dory (our betta) seems very happy and out going in his tank and has lots of bubble nests at the top! (That means he is happy right?)

2 I didn't know Bettas needed a heater! Again darn PetSmart! I'm glad I researched this stuff! I am planning on going out and getting a heater tomorrow! Any advice on these?

3) Question about my Bettas coloring. When I bought him he was almost all blue with a little few little dark spots on his face. He is now changing colors from blue to like a silver color and his face seems to be getting darker. Is this normal? I just want to make sure nothing is wrong... he seems happy and is very outgoing. I am just worried about the coloring.

4) The guy at PetSmart told me they try to feed the Bettas 3 times a week... and he said if I do it every day to only do it once and just like 4-5 little pieces. Is the correct way to feed? The container to the food says... feed several times daily in small amounts that will be consumed by fish within 3 minutes?? This had me a little confused.

Last edited by Kyleighs Mommy; 12-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Kyleighs Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
Kyleighs Mommy

I hope I posted this is the correct spot! :) I'm learning lol..
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 
Kyleighs Mommy

Sorry so I figured out I posted this it the wrong spot obviously... lol... my bad! :)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the hobby. You sound like you are off to a great start! You could even divide that 10 gal and have two bettas once your baby grows a bit. Also I wanted to say, love your username ;)
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

You can feed the pellets as well. A varied diet is good for them. So maybe do one day of brine shrimp and one of pellets.. or however you want to mix it up.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote