Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #11 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

Doesnt agree with them? i beg to differ, ive used that treatment the very few times its happened to any of my betta's and it HAS worked and HAS agreed with them, im not aware of any disease that causes bloating like that other than overfeeding and Dropsy... Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Just out of curiosity do any of you know how big a Betta's stomach is?
Bettas DESERVE BETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I do not recommend poking him with the pin... it could cause more damage... Though, I have read about it too.

And I agree about putting him in a cup... just rather, a gallon container easier to do doses

the size of his eye. And please understand I've dealt with over 20 bettas, most of them came as rescues and I have dealt with everything including Mystery Disease, EXCEPT velvet. I've seen SBD, dropsy, and overfeeding... all usually connect with each other too.

an internal parasite can cause a fluid pocket.

And again, I said it does work, just it actually is made for fish more like goldies, ratehr than carnivorous fishies like bettas

BUT, in case of ANY of those, epsom salt is definitely needed. It's all an internal problem (internal parasites, or SBD, or dropsy (unlikely yet), or constipation aka overfeeding)

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-29-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #13 
LyzzaRyzz

A bettas stomach is about the size of its eyeball. Most of us DO know this. I definitely do.

Seems like your insinuating that we dont know general information about bettas...I have never heard of over feeding to cause that much bloating, and neither have the many sites ive looked on, and people ive talked to.
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

That is too much bloating. I dealt with a severe case of SBD from overfeeding, and it took 2 weeks for it to finally go away. and he was all puffed out, on his side, and all. But, never to that amount.

And PLEASE for the sake of the OP (and the fish) do not start an argument, just be open minded, look at all aspects, and hopefully we can get this poor little betta better
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #15 
LyzzaRyzz

And feeding a betta a pea will help with slight bloating, and any SBP that occur, though ive had a tough time getting them to eat it..the just look at it, and swim away, one of mine actually used to flare at it. Ive read many places that not feeding for a day out of the week, then feeding a pea, will help digestion, and help prevent SBP.
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I've only had to use epsom It's a natural, and easier method... as I know many bettas who have not even tried peas.

I'e sent the messages now, to some of the other posters. Maybe they'll know more than we do, about this interesting problem.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-29-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #17 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

So your response to this whole thing is that you've found your answers through searches on the internet? well done, you've had 20 betta's...... ive kept wild and selectively bred betta's for 35 years, no doubt ive probably dealt with 5 or 6X more betta's with a range of different diseases and i have NEVER known any other disease to cause a bulge that size. It takes a betta's stomach 6-12 hours on average to digest the food that it eats. So please, dont try and out do my statements with your 20 bettas comeback and your internet search readings.

Whilst i agree that the salt baths should be used, they should only be used as a last resort and MEDS should be the Very very last resort as their internal organs would probably completely pack up with how far this problem has come. Try the Pea option and that SHOULD work.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Why are you causing a fight??!! Stop acting like this! This is NOT what the OP needs.We are here to help, not dominate each other. I'm waiting for OFL, or someone else to come help.

Epsom, is actually pretty safe if used in moderation, and for a limited time (no more than 2 weeks)and is a natural cleanser. I've been rescuing and healing bettas who have had a seriously wide range of problems, and I can guarantee I've never used a pea because I was warned it could hurt some bettas. Then, the nice person helped me through the issue of SBD, or bloating, with epsom salt treatment and it works well without damaging anything - including plants.

In my opinion, it looks like a fluid sack. Usually caused from something internal (like I said) such as parasites (like I said) or, damage. Has he ever gotten stuck under/in something? been with other fish?

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-29-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #19 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

Not starting a fight, just disagreeing with what you are writing because you think you looking after 20 bettas makes you more knowledgeable than me and my experiences with similar situations, all i done was suggested something different to what you recommended, because someone told you it could harm them you went flying off, all i did was state my reasons for my statements... nothing wrong in that is there?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

This looks like something different and possibly worse

Also, how long have you had him? it is possible he got something from how he was kept...whether with other fish in a tank, a dirty bowl, or even previously wher he was bred (sometimes bad genetics too)

I would have gone with tumor... but it doesn't fit the description of it... Because of in one picture, you see the light through it, and you can see some of the organs...

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-29-2011 at 01:38 PM.