Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #21 
LyzzaRyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas DESERVE BETTER View Post
So your response to this whole thing is that you've found your answers through searches on the internet? well done, you've had 20 betta's...... ive kept wild and selectively bred betta's for 35 years, no doubt ive probably dealt with 5 or 6X more betta's with a range of different diseases and i have NEVER known any other disease to cause a bulge that size. It takes a betta's stomach 6-12 hours on average to digest the food that it eats. So please, dont try and out do my statements with your 20 bettas comeback and your internet search readings.

Whilst i agree that the salt baths should be used, they should only be used as a last resort and MEDS should be the Very very last resort as their internal organs would probably completely pack up with how far this problem has come. Try the Pea option and that SHOULD work.
Everyone here is trying to help, and you seem to be a bit snippy today! We recognize that you've kept bettas for a long time, but so have other users on this forum. Even people who havent had the luck to keep alot of bettas are still correct in thier solutions and opinions. Try not to discredit other people. And the internet is a wonderful tool for information on betta keeping, as long as you take everything with a grain of AS,[lol], and not do anything that sounds risky, like pricking your fish, or raising your heat to 96, or tripling your medicine to quicken the healing time..those are all things ive been told to do, and none of them are correct. I just thanked them for thier input, explained the dangers of doing them, and offerend solutions ive read/heard about. Some people get thier information from non reliable places such as Yahoo answers, and they take it for fact.
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #22 
LyzzaRyzz

Just wondering, could it be a tapeworm? Or a fishy equivalent?
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #23 
Luimeril

dudes, chill. :T this thread is three pages of NOTHING helpful.

it looks like it could be a tumor.... that's about the ONLY thing i can think of that'd make a bulge like THAT, and not be bloat or something. since it's on ONE side, that's the only thing i can think of. maybe some more experienced members can help better. if it IS a tumor, there's not much you can do... :<
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #24 
beginnerfish

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

Feeding: Omega One Natural Protein Formula Betta Buffet Pellets, what was recommended at the Pet Store where I purchased the Betta. I got the Betta in October, and originally did feed more - the packaging says to feed 3 times a day as much as the fish will eat in a minute, but I cut down to 2-3 pellets, twice a day (after a week).

The swelling started a few weeks ago. He is still very active, even today. I have tried adding a small amount of epson salt to his tank. The waste that he is trailing, has been there since last night. It is about the length of his body, it looks mainly clear, with pockets of brown throughout. Is it normally to see the waste? Is it normal for it to be that long?

Thank you!
beginnerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #25 
zimmerb0922

from what i've seen/experienced a bettas stool should definitely be a red/brown not clear or white.. that usually indicates parasites.
zimmerb0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #26 
beginnerfish

It's like the clear part is an empty part of a tube, just a strand, then periodically there are brown bits in the clear tube.

What's a good treatment for parasites? Is it ok with Epson salts in the water at the same time?

How does a Betta develop parasites? It's a brand new tank, everything is new with this fish, do I worry about putting anything else into the tank later?

Does it have anything to do with food? What foods do you all feed your Betta fish and what's your routine for feeding?
beginnerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #27 
Luimeril

if it's trailing him, it could be parasites. i've seen clear poos on healthy bettas, but white is something to worry about. i've never seen poo trail. o-o he could be passing a wormy..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Yeah o.o could be an internal parasite... like I said. Which is why I recommended the Epsom, because it'll help with the absess part... I recommend trying to get parasitic meds like Jungle Parasite fiz-tabs, that's what I've used before... and love it

Or, a tumor, yes... but that fast?? o.o;;; Thanks Luimeril btw
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #29 
zimmerb0922

you can use the jungle medicine that someone suggested earlier that should do the trick and yes i believe epsom salt should be okay in there with him. epsom salt is just like a helpful bath it cant really hurt them unless you leave them in it for too long.

and he could have come from the store with parasites. they can develop just like in us, if we have a cut and it gets infected or maybe if his water isn't clean enough.

i feed my betta 3-4 pellets once a day and their tetra pellets. i was told to feed him more and give him some blood worms but he wont even touch the worms i got (probably because their freeze dried) and when i started feeding him more pellets i think he got too full cause he stopped eating for two days O.o

goodluck with your betta(:
zimmerb0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

4 pellets a day should suffice for your little fella And yep, epsom, 1-3 tsp per gallon (easier if floated in his tank in a 1 gallon) daily cleaning, bare bottom, no more than 10-14 days as needed... And meds, for sure, for parasites. I hope you can get him better
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote