Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #31 
Pataflafla

Based on the pictures, my opinion is possibly an internal tumor. I was expecting something more akin to a tumor or slight bulge, but this is very serious.

I do agree with the epsom salt method. Try bringing him up from 1 tsp/gal to 3 tsp/gal over a 24 hour period. After he's at 3 tsp/gal, do 100% daily changes and redose at 3 tsp/gal epsom salt.

Also, I recommend fasting him for 2-3 days to see if that helps any with the swelling. If it does, he might possibly have a parasite load that he is unable to pass at the moment, which the epsom salt should help with.

If the strand that is coming out of him is white, start immediately on a parasitic medication like General Cure or Jungle brand.

Unfortunately, if he isn't better in 2 weeks maximum or he starts to go downhill fast, I'd say euthanasia is one of your only other options, but give the epsom salt and possibly parasite medication a shot before this.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Definitely! I wish you luck with your little fella :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #33 
Luimeril

soaking the pellets in garlic juice helps too.

and, Sena, a friend of mine had a beautiful betta with a tumor on his head, right behind the gills. it grew a little, then shrank, but killed him quickly. she had him less than a month. it could have grown IN, before OUT, ya know?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #34 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well...

Sadly that looks like a internal Tumor and not a lot can be done except for comfort care.....when you have swelling more on one side than another it is usually a Tumor..not cancer per se....as the tumor grows it can put pressure on the internal organs and cause a host of other problems..signs/symptom that can mimic other issue...

What I would recommend-comfort care- Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 3tsp/gal and tannins along with water changes in a small unfiltered 1-2gal tank-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ...feed small frequent meals, water temp in the 77-78F range

If he is not struggling to swim-I would use a 1-2gal tank unfiltered-premix some Epsom salt 3tsp/gal in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf and let this steep....you want dark amber....use this water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today to get him acclimated to the chemistry-then starting tomorrow 50% every other day using this premixed treatment water

You don't want to make anymore than 1-100% every 7-10 days if any at all-if you have any live plants to add this will help too..its important to limit stress since that can further complicate matters....

The Epsom salt and tannins can help with the edema and stress-this is comfort care and about all that can be done short of taking him to a vet.

Usually they will not die due to the tumor but from the pressure on the internal organs

If at any point he seems to be suffering you need to do what is right by him...

Good luck and keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 12-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #35 
Pataflafla

I recently had to help euthanize a betta that had a tumor right above his eye. We bought him when it was already fairly large, but he lasted quite a few months and it grew more in that time as well. It got to the point where he could not see out of the eye on that side, he could not flare, he would have seizures, general confusion about where the waterline was, and he stopped eating.

Tumors can grow fast or slow; and some never grow more than they are already at. Unfortunately, removing them from a betta is very risky since they are so small.

Back on topic:
I read back some more and saw that his poop was clear with specks of brown. I had a girl whose last poop was like this before she succumbed to parasites. I would highly recommend starting immediately on API General Cure or Jungle Anti-Parasite fizzy tabs.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #36 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas DESERVE BETTER View Post
So your response to this whole thing is that you've found your answers through searches on the internet? well done, you've had 20 betta's...... ive kept wild and selectively bred betta's for 35 years, no doubt ive probably dealt with 5 or 6X more betta's with a range of different diseases and i have NEVER known any other disease to cause a bulge that size. It takes a betta's stomach 6-12 hours on average to digest the food that it eats. So please, dont try and out do my statements with your 20 bettas comeback and your internet search readings.
I dont like you. You're very condescending. That's not how we play here, regardless of how much you know. Everyone knows what they know by different means. You could be wrong based on what you know and another could be right based on what they've read... and vice versa.

My 2 cents?

That looks like a severe blockage or a tumor. If he is still unwell and appears to be suffering I would consider helping him pass to ease his suffering. Many members can help you with what to do privately if this is a course of action you find appropriate.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #37 
StarBetta

@Bettas DESERVE BETTER-- you are ruining the whole forum being so rude. Every single person I met here is nice and friendly! This is a betta fish forum, not a argument forum. Lighten up for a change and be nice. You can't change someone. Just let people say what they think and you think whatever you want to think.
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #38 
carlos2011

Hi,
my vail-tail betta carlos has dropsy too, i believe. I havent even had him for a yr and noticed it about a week ago.. he hasnt even eaten in that one week span. its rlly sad. idk what to do.. should i buy aquarium salt or some medications? im using epsom salts on him rite now but im not completely sure that its working to well.. any advice please??
carlos2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #39 
Sakura8

I agree with OFL. Based on the fact that this . . . lump grew slowly, it would seem to be an internal tumor. Sadly, there is very little that can be done at this stage but make him comfortable, as OFL said. She has had much more experience dealing with tumors in fish than I have so I highly recommend following her advice.

I'm so very sorry this has happened to your little guy, so very sorry. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #40 
Sena Hansler

Aww :( I was kinda hoping it was only a fluid blockage (as I know could happen). I had to euthanise my boy for a tumor, and another problem ;( If you can keep him comfy, and it doesn't harm him (yet)... idk. follow what everyone else is saying
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote