Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 
codyjoe20

What's Up WIth my Betta?

I've got my brand new Crowntail Male Betta in a 1-gallon bowl with some rocks and a small plant in the center. I've got a couple things I need clarified about Crowntail Betta's.

1.) He's been sitting on a rock almost all day and he really isn't that active. I put just a pinch of BloodWorms in there and I don't think he's bothered eating them at all.

2.) I feel really bad for the little guy now because I know he needs 75 degree water but I can't spare even another $2 right now to heat his water. I live in Michigan so his bowl just sitting in the center of the house feels pretty cold to me. What should I do?
codyjoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 
Myates

I would wrap a towel around his bowl and place it in the warmest area of the house- away from windows/doors until you can get a heater.

How long have you had him?
And if it's been over a week, have you changed the water?
If so, when was the last time you changed it?
How did you acclimate him to the new water?
Are you using water conditioner?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.. but unless he is extremely cold (mid-low 60s) there may be another cause for his actions. I would also suggest getting a thermometer when you get a heater to know what the temp is. The ideal temp would be 78-82*F, but 76-77 is fine as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 
codyjoe20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would wrap a towel around his bowl and place it in the warmest area of the house- away from windows/doors until you can get a heater.

How long have you had him?
And if it's been over a week, have you changed the water?
If so, when was the last time you changed it?
How did you acclimate him to the new water?
Are you using water conditioner?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.. but unless he is extremely cold (mid-low 60s) there may be another cause for his actions. I would also suggest getting a thermometer when you get a heater to know what the temp is. The ideal temp would be 78-82*F, but 76-77 is fine as well.
I've had him for two-days.
I let him sit in his container from the store for 30 minutes so his water and the water in the bowl both settled to the same temperature.
And no I cant afford to get water conditioner and that water is pretty dang cold.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
styggian

He needs a heater and water conditioner. The chlorine in tap water is poisonous to fish, and the cold water will slow his metabolism which can lead to illness or death.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #5 
styggian

chlorine toxicity
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #6 
Myates

Have to agree with Styg.. it's most likely due to lack of water conditioner and heat.

Water conditioner info

When acclimating fish to new water it's best to not only float it to get the temp the same, but to get them acclimated to the new chemistry- by removing part of the water from the cup (throw it out) and replacing it with water from the tank a couple of time in the 20-30 minutes he is floating.
You will want to at least get a thermometer to check the temps to make sure you aren't refilling it with too cold of water, or too warm of water. Your idea temps would be 76-82*F. Even if you are floating him in to even out the temp, doesn't mean the temp you are placing him into is safe.
I would ask someone for the $2 needed (it's less then that at Walmart) for a thermometer at the least.

In a 1 gallon unfiltered you will want to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week- using water conditioner at full dose for that size each time. It's very important to make sure you have all the appropriate supplies needed when taking care of an animal- and even though they seem "easy" bettas (and other fish) are anything but when you are first learning. But once you have all the correct supplies it does get easier.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #7 
codyjoe20

Well I just picked up a 10-watt heater and now he's moving around quite a bit more and is finally eating. He now likes to sit right next to the heater the whole time though lol. We actually just picked-up another Betta yesterday and that one is just far more active overall. Strange how the two-fish are so opposite.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #8 
Magikarp

Did you get a water conditioner? You NEED water conditioner more than a heater.
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote