Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Calcium deposits on acrylic X(

Hey guys! =)

We have really hard water at my house, and as a result, I've got some calcium deposits starting to show up on my tank walls. If they were glass, I would just go at them with the rough side of a sponge, but they're acrylic. Very scratch prone acrylic at that. Is there anything I can do to get it off??

Thank you!!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #2 
Myrtaceae

We've got hard water here too. Vinegar + paper towel + elbow grease works like a charm, but obviously you only want to use vinegar on unoccupied fish tanks so that limits it somewhat. I don't think the fish mind much; it just looks kinda cruddy.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #3 
Orca

Tell me about it, we've got hard water here too. D:
This is how we clean the residue off at my house:

After removing fish and tank accessories, soak a sheet or two of paper towels in vinegar and put the tank on its side. Don't wring it out, just slap that sucker on.

Apply the wet paper towel to the dirtiest side. Don’t scrub yet! Just let it soak in for about 10 minutes. The longer you wait the better.

Dip a sponge in some warm water and *gently* start scrubbing the side. If it's being stubborn, repeat the vinegar-towel application. This should make it easier to clean and won't scratch the surface. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #4 
Brian10962001

If you have everything out of the tank use CLR. Put it on, let it fizz then rub the lime spots off with your finger. I use CLR on glass all the time, just make sure to wash it out very well before you place fish back into the tank.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I was just going to say CLR too, you can use that stuff in coffee makers and coffee pots for human consumption so I can't see why a fish tank wouldn't work with real good rinsing :) Thanks for posting this, I have a nasty 15h with the same problem and never thought of CLR!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6 
Brian10962001

I use it all the time. I usually put it in a spray bottle and cut it about 50/50 with tap water. I used it on 2 out of the 3 fish tanks I'm using right now and I haven't lost a fish out of any of them. Sadly the only time I did lose a fish was when I didn't use CLR and really clean out an old tank
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

Thank you so much for all the feed back you guys!!! I hate the deposits, they look so gross but I didn't want to risk scratching the acrylic any further. I'll have to try both of those methods and see which works best!! =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote