Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #11 
Myrtaceae

He's a really pretty turquoise.

It's pretty normal for bettas to have dark faces. Bettas that have faces the same color as their bodies are called 'masked'. Color change is pretty normal at first, but watch out for him looking pale or having horizontal streaks across his body, because that indicates stress.

Bettas can do okay in small tanks, but I'm kinda lazy so I keep mine in a 5 gal. That way I only have to do water changes 2 times a week, lol. If you go with a larger tank, make sure he has extra spaces to hide too, so he doesn't feel too exposed.

Everyone feeds a little differently, but I feed 2-3 pellets twice a day (and frozen food twice a week). When you buy pellets, make sure that the first ingredient listed is 'fish meal'. Otherwise you're buying him the betta version of potato chips, tasty, but not a lot of nutrition.

I don't know a lot about freeze dried foods, but I really like to feed frozen. My bettas have always loved brine shrimp & bloodworms in particular. It's really not that expensive. I only thaw a little bit of a block at a time, so $10 worth will last for months if you're using them 1-2 times a week. My current betta goes nuts for it.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #12 
ArcticRain

I'm just gunna dive in here and say you have a gorgeous Betta!
Another thing, if I am remembering correctly the tank you have doesn't have a lid? If so I recommend your find a way to cover the tank right away! Bettas are jumpers and many members on this site have had problems with thier bettas jumping out of tanks. I myself have a jumping Betta! Thank goodness he hasn't tried anything. For now, you can just lower the water level a couple of inches but, I suggest you try and find a more permanent solution.
Sorry if I'm overeacting. I just don't want anything to happen to your lovely Betta!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #13 
Kyleighs Mommy

Thank you for all of your advice! It really helps and I think he is beautiful too! :) When changing out like half of the tank do you need to remove the fish? Oh and my tank does have a lid so no worries!! :) Tomorrow I am going to get him some tasty treats... I can't wait to see how well he likes them!! I'm glad his coloring looks okay but I will keep an eye out for stress! He is so active and gets all crazy when I come in the room.. we love him already!
Kyleighs Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #14 
Kyleighs Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexylex0526 View Post
He looks like a very healthy and extremly happy betta:) your a good betta parent so far! And again welcome to the site:)

Yay thanks!! :)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #15 
Kyleighs Mommy

Oh and just wondering what kind is he? I have looked them up and he looks similar to a couple different kinds. Anyone know?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #16 
ArcticRain

He is a Veiltail Betta. And a pretty one at that!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Whenever I do water changes on smaller tanks I like to cup my bettas. It's personal preference, really. If you feel that pouring the water back in the tank will cause him too much stress then cupping him is a good idea.

As for what type he is, I'm going to say veiltail. It's the most common type sold in stores. I think most of us started out with veiltail bettas. It's much easier to tell when he is flaring his gills. You can get him to do this by holding a mirror up to the glass.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #18 
Virux

He looks healthy as can be. You're doing a great job. Keep up the good care. :)
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #19 
Virux

You will find, by the way, that Bettas are possibly some of the most personable fish in the aquarium hobby. They will swim up to the glass and watch you when you come near, especially once they are used to your daily life. I've always kept my bettas in the living and dining area so that they can see people walking about all the time and enjoy it.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #20 
Kyleighs Mommy

Okay thanks! They had different ones at the store but I loved the blue! :) He is very personable and almost gets excited when we come in the room! lol.. I have tried to capture a picture of him flaring but no luck. Just took this picture! :)