Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question instructionless sponge filter :/

ok...well.... got a "bio-sponge filter: specific application for discus, angel fish, and other small fishes raising". it's... chinese I suppose. The english is a bit rough on the back, but it just says the "char acteristics" and calls the suction cup the sucker o.o

The first picture is of Shadow, the one who will have the sponge filter... Since he is by far the weakest swimmer I have ever had >< and he now sports flaring behind the filter, nearly catching his tail in the intake, I think it'd be best second picture is of the filter. So... do I...just attach it to the filter I have? o_O idk...there is the opening at the end, which you can adjust in length then there is a opening where it looks like you add a bubbler hose... help? D:
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-31-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
SpookyTooth

While I haven't used a sponge filter like yours I have used many sponge filters in the past. The small opening you mentioned (looking at your image, right next to the left-most sponge there's a little nozzle type thing) is where you attach your airline, which is attached to and then powered by an external air pump.

You may want to get a non-return valve for the airline and air pump which will prevent water going down the tubing and into the air pump, thus shorting it out or decreasing its life. Non-return valves have a one-way flow system, you can blow through it to see which way you "plug it in" to the air line and they cost very little. Better quality ones may cost you about $3 (or 2 - 2.50) but they are pretty awesome to have and a great reassurance.

As for the other opening I'm not really sure...

Good luck!

Edit: The other opening may be where you stick the suction cup into as the "stick on the side" ones often come with a suction cup you have to attach yourself. I usually work with the "stand alone" ones that you dump into the tank and let sink, so I could be mistaken.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 12-31-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: More info.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Thanks :) I did get 3 different valves with airline, that I had gotten with the homemade easy-peasy sponge filter I have.. I'll see if one is a non-return
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth

You're welcome. I hope you're able to figure the rest out soon! I actually have a stand-alone giant sponge filter in Kaze's aquarium right now. He doesn't get along with mechanical ones and likes to jump INTO the baffle and sit in there until I get him out...

D'oh. Anyway - I hope it helps Shadow!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

hahahaha strange one you have And hopefully it does help him lol. I haven't had a weak swimmer for years, and the last one I had ended up taking out the filter in the 3 gallon (filters for that small of tanks usually suck anyways)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

Oh he is bizarre... He won't follow my finger around the outside of his aquarium but he'll follow a chocolate stick... hah, he's lovely really though.

If you run into any problems with the filter please let me know and I'll see if I can help! Gotta love how sponge filters seldom come with instructions. I have three at the moment and no instructions with any!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

yeah I got mine from overseas...because it is cheaper... Maybe I'll end up moving Shadow to the 20, and Shiloh to the 10... Shiloh has no fins (sigh) and is faster than my girls...and then the sponge filter can be exchanged for the new sponge filter...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 
SpookyTooth

If you find a stick-on-the-side one a bit frustrating, I do highly recommend a stand-alone one. They aren't the most attractive things but you can always get some pieces of silk plants and tuck them into the sponge or something to partially disguise it, or you can have some plants or something infront of it.

They aren't all that expensive either. Little bit more than the stick on the side ones but they seem okay, function-wise.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

That's good to know I'll look them up anyways... I find it good to have extra anythings on hand -looks at the bin of medications, foods, and conditioners-
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #10 
vilmarisv

That's a great sponge filter! I have one on my 15 galon.
Like Spoooky said, all you do is attach the airline on to the small tube betwen the ponge and the main tube.
You can either leave the outtake tube below or above water. Really depends on your preference. I keep mine above water.
I tried taking a pic of the connectiong from the front but my sorority girls ruined every shot.
I use a splitter as a vaulve, I'm currently using the same pump for 3 tanks.
Attached Images

vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote