Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Possible SBD?

What size is your tank?10 Gallon
What temperature is your tank?78 Degrees Farenheit.
Does your tank have a filter?Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No.
Is your tank heated?Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?None, but I plan on adding cory cats and a snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and Flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish?I got him on boxing day, so I've been feeding him twice a day. All I've SEEN him eat is a bloodworm and a pellet.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?I haven't done one yet, but plan on doing a 10-20% once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?10-20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I haven't done a change yet.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.4
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 7.8
Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He still looks the same.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been swimming around the bottom of the tank, and when he's been swimming he seems to be having trouble. He's been swimming slightly to one side, and he's been kinda shaking his fins as he's been swimming, and having trouble going up and forwards.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not treated him, because I thought he was just relaxing on the bottom of the tank, but now I think it could be SBD.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just bought him, so not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Myate estimated that he's around 6 months.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I need help, someone please respond! D:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #3 
ThorAndGhost

Hi there!

Now, I'm not as experienced as some other members on the board, but I'll try to help.

When I got my boy Lucky, he had this problem. Swam kind of sideways, didn't seems quite right. When I bought him the petstore kept him in a small wine glass and he didn't have room to straighten out his body, let alone swim upright, and I suspect this caused it for him. I'm told overfeeding can also cause this problem, so while you mentioned that you feed him 2 times a day, how MUCH are you feeding him? If he's not eating, maybe he's a litte constipated as well. Does his stomach (located ight behind his head) look a little round? There are some pictures online of what a "bloated" betta looks like, and for those of us without experience, it's not an easy thing to spot. I know I was surprised when I first saw the photos, and realized that my boys were a tad bit bloated. If he really is constipated, epsom salt works well, from what I've been told on this forum.

Anyway, back to Lucky. It took a long time for him to heal (i.e. weeks!). I had to place some goodies at the top of the tank so he could easily gain access to the surface. If you can't do this, you may want to reduce the water level so he doesn't have to struggle to swim to the top. I also put some females next to his tank and well, that worked wonders! It's kind of like those bad TV shows you see, where the teenage boy gets s sports injury and insists on playing anyway to impress the girls? Right, well, that was Lucky! He wanted so badly so show off his fins that he worked VERY hard at swimming upright in front of the girls, and I could see it was difficult for him, but he did it anyway! Eventually, all this "physiotherapy" paid off and he's perfectly fine now.

If you don't have female bettas, print up a life sized picture of one. I read a story where the male betta was so enchanted by the picture, that he swam in front of it and went a but crazy building bubble nests!

One last thing ... I'm not an expert on tank specs and water quality, but the ammonia level may be a concern, but it'd be best to ask a more experienced forum user.

Good luck! Hope you're little guy feels better soon!
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Hermes died this morning. :(
Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #5 
ThorAndGhost

Oh ... I'm so sorry. Sounds like the petstore didn't take very good care of him, which is all too common. At least he spent the last part of his life with someone who loved him and genuinely cared for him.
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote