Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 AM   #1 
Dozzem

Angry My girl not feeling well after water change

Hope is not feeling well after the water change I gave her in the afternoon. Her fins are clamped, she is lethargic and she is a little darker. She was hiding in her little cave thing a monet ago but I freaked her out by opening the little door that I use to give her food. I am very worried. I am a very forgetful person so I could of left the conditioner out of the tank while I was changing her water. I was carful to make sure she didn't have a temp shock. I was changing her and my two boy's water, I know I did theirs but maybe not hers. It is late at night, I am leaving in the morning to my ill grandmothers, I need to have a gift to her before I go wich is going to be nuts and I have no idea what to do. Can someone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? no idea, room temp in CA
Does your tank have a filter? no, can though
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? nope
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none at all

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta gold pellates
How often do you feed your betta fish? randomly, about three times a week. I know it is bad but she looks a little chubby. 3 pellats each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Errrrm
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta condtioner stuff

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? nope, never had

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins, maybe darker
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? slow, hanging out in at the bottem or top, not moving much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? not to long ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope, I don't know what to do
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope! Even though she has a strange black stop on her head but I think that is coloring
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not old but not a baby

Please help?! I don't have to much time and I can't find help from my family.
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #2 
Dozzem

I know I am being a little pushy but I am very worried about Hope. I can't find a way to edit the title so it is more urgent and people will look at it. She has been at the top of her tank near air for 30min and barly moved at all. Fins still clamped. I looked at her just now and she was not moving and her gills were not moving. I almost fainted or something. I wiggled her tank and she took a breath of air. Is she dying? I am really stressing.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #3 
Sakura8

If you have the time, do a partial water change and make sure you add a few drops extra of water conditioner. Are you in SoCal or NorCal? Room temp might be too cold, depending.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:29 AM   #4 
Dozzem

Long time no see, Sakura! I guess I do have time but I am really scared to move or stress her out. I am in South CA but it has been very cold her recently. But it have been for a mounth now. I cant tell if it is temp shock or shock of clean water after a month+ without water changes or what. It is 1:30AM here and I am losing it. To add my mom just gave me a whole "You should of done and should do blah blah" like she have been studing Bettas her whole life. Help please?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Okay, if it's been a month since water changes, it probably is a bit of shock from that too. If you're not sure about the water conditioner though, it's probably still best to do a quick change. Any way you can take out even a few cupfuls of water without taking her out of the tank? I'd try that.

If it IS shock from the water change after a month, then this could be dicey. Her body is trying to adapt to a rapid change in her environment and it may or may not make it. :/ Sadly, I can't guarantee her survival, much as I really wish I could.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #6 
Dozzem

here is a picture of her. Thank you a lot. I think I will take out a little of water and add water with more conditioner then needed. My other fish have been in the exact same conditions and they are acting normal and heailthy (Knock on wood!!!!!) I don't understand it. I hope Hope lives up to her name and makes it.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. Good luck and I'm sorry about your grandma.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #8 
Dozzem

She is acting a lot better now, sence I moved the water around. Oh dear, she could of just of been sleeping with her fins clamped because she is adapting like you said. She is darker every day so I shouldn't worry about that. This is probly a big misunderstanding. It is late here and she had a bigger day then normal. my boys are swimming around like nothing has happened, like always, but she is more senstive. I am sure she will be just fine. Wow I should be slapped. Thank you, my grandma should be better soon but I dout it. Yikes. Have a good rest. She is alot better.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Don't worry, it's so easy to panic over these guys. It really is. :) I panic over mine all the time too. And you've got a lot going on right now. You can darken her tank and let her rest and hopefully she'll be back to 100% in the morning. And you probably had better get some rest too. :)