Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

What to do....Help!

Okay so I've got a 10 gallon complete with a filter and heater. I used to have a betta, tetras and swordtails but things didn't work out. I am down to 1 little tetra having a big 10g to himself. I want to get another betta to go in that 10 gallon. My only problem is that I want to do a whole 100% water change and clean the filter and take out all the gravel and clean it (no soap of course). The tank isn't filthy, I have been doing 25% sometimes 50% water changes every week but the water smells and there is dirt gathered in the gravel. I just don't want that, it just feels gross, you guys probably know what I'm talking about. With a betta I can do bigger water changes and actually take the fish out without killing it unlike tetras. So how should I go about doing it and what do you think I should do with the 1 tetra? Would he survive in a smaller tank temporarily by himself? I would definately consider putting him with the future betta if my tank cycles. Thanks!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Do you mean you're going to divide the tank with two bettas?

If you get two bettas, you cant have tetras in the tank, there is not enough space and the bio load will be too heavy.

You can try to return the tetra to the store (sometimes employees with tanks take pity and take them) or offer one up locally to give it away.

It probably wont last long alone in a small tank, but put lots of cover, have a dark bottom, a filter/bubbler, and try having a few mirrors around the tank to make him think he has friends. I kept a tetra that way for many months until he found a new home.

Once you do that, clean the tank how you wanna.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #3 
BlackberryBetta

Great thanks. I think that is what I will do. I plan on moving the tetra, cleaning the tank getting a betta and starting the cycle over again. Ill get my water tested often and when it's ready I will move the little guy back. I just don't wanna stress him to the point where it's too much....Btw, what is a good water change schedule for a filtered 10g?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Is it planted at all?

With just a betta and (maybe even) a tetra, a 30% change a week sounds reasonable. It depends, though, on your cycle. Try buying a liquid ammonia testing kit.

When its cycled, you can probably get away (with just a betta) with doing a 20-30% every two weeks or week and a half. I managed that in a cycled, unplanted 5g.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 AM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

Ya, it is unplanted. So I will probably do 30% a week. I always thought that it was more...thats why I stayed away. That was a nice surprise! Sorry, last 2 questions......The biggest tank I have to keep the tetra in is 2 gallon unfiltered but does have a bubbler, too small? And when I move him should I take water from his old tank? Thanks again. Love your site, by the way!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Thanks!
No, I wouldnt take the water with him, just make sure he's well acclimated and stuff. New water that's conditioned and unsalted will work fine! Make sure its heated to I think like 75 ish.

With the water changes its important not to over feed, not to over siphon and over change the water and not shut the filter off or rinse the filter media off :) Keep an eye on the levels though!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

No problem! ;) But I thought that tetras needed the tank to be cycled? I had bought some a while back and added them to uncycled water and they all died the next day...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

It certainly helps them, but I had them in an uncycled 5g with my betta (rescues! ah!) and they were fine, even with him harassing them! The loner lived in an uncycled tank for a good few months, happy as a clam.

They def. will fare better in a cycled thank, though. Theyre sensitive buggers, thats for sure. Also keep an eye out for NTD (neon tetra disease), which'll kill em, bend their spines, agh, its just awful. Very contagious too.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Cool! Thanks for all the info! I got him in is own 2 gallon with a bubbler. Hopefully he makes it and can go back and live happily with my new betta! So I got the tank all cleaned and ready, going to get a new betta tomorrow! OMG!! So excited, I will post pics! So anyways, we will see how things go... Thanks so much for everything it really helped!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

No problem, best wishes to you :)