Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking of upgrading tanks...

445 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  thekoimaiden 
#1 ·
I have three betta fish, all in 2.5 gallon tanks, and frankly it takes me a while to clean all the tanks even with my mother's help. My mom is against having more tanks, but i got 100 bucks for Christmas and my local petco is having a 1 dollar per gallon sale up until the 21'st of January. I was thinking to decrease the amount of work that i have to do (I do a full cleaning of everything every week) i was thinking of dividing a 20 gallon tank between the three of them. What should i do for water changes and full tank changes.

#2 ·
I think dividing the 20 long sounds like a great idea. I keep my bettas in 10 gal divided tanks with live plants. Really cuts down on the maintenance. If you were to keep your guys in a 20 long with live plants, you would only have to do 1 water change per week.

The only thing you need to remember is that when you divide the tanks you will need to provide lots of hiding spaces, especially for the guy in the middle as he may feel very stressed if he can't get out of sight of the other bettas.

#3 ·
I would think a larger tank would be MORE work.. Hmm.

You have to consider that with bigger tanks means bigger water changes.. Which takes more time.

If it were me.. I'd stick with the 2.5's. I have my bettas in 1-1.5g and I just do a water change every three days.

#4 ·
Actually larger tanks are less work. The water parameters stabilize much easier, and once they are established don't need much water to be removed each time provided it is properly stocked and planted.

With larger tanks you only need one water change a week (after cycling and all that jazz). Larger tanks mean larger changes by volume of water, but you have to do them less often. You would only have to sacrifice one afternoon a week. So it's a choice of small changes often, or a large change once a week.

Still, it's a personal choice.

#6 ·
I don't mean a 100% water change. There is no need to do that with larger tanks unless you really like changing water. Maybe once in a blue moon do a really thorough gravel vac and take out 50%, but that would be like twice a year type thing. She would only need to do about a 20%-30% water change once a week. So take out about 5 gal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.