Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #1 
Badjer

Aquaclear Power Filters?

Anyone else have one? If so, is yours really noisy? I just set mine up in my 20 gallon, and it's really loud. I don't mind the sound of the flowing water, but the whirring sound of the motor is obnoxious. This tank is in my bedroom so silence (or anything close to it) is golden! I'm just paranoid I set it up wrong, which is making it loud.

Failing that, any recommended filters that are quieter? I don't want to have to pay for a new filter already but I have no idea how I'll get to sleep with this thing.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 
inthenavy

Oh no! mine comes in the mail tomorrow.

I was comparison shopping between the AquaClear and the Fluval. Someone said that they were near identical except for a few things.. maybe the top comment on the Fluval could be applied to the AquaClear? See comment here

Relevent quote here:

"When I first got the filter I was pissed because it was indeed noisy. You could hear the movements of the spinning motor and I thought this thing was a piece of garbage. After 2 days of running it and listening to it (I keep my tank on my desk at my work so I sit next to it) I figured it would never be quieter and did some research online. Turns out this has happened to others. The solution? Lube up the motor parts! How? I used regular Vaseline (bought the travel size at my grocery store). Unplug and take apart the filter at a sink and have a bucket/large-cup handy. When you separate the motor from the rest of the filter you can remove the metal spinning thing. I went ahead and put a thin layer of Vaseline on the surface of that, but it was probably not necessary. The main culprit you want to lube up is the thin metal needle it attaches to. You could use a Q-Tip or thinly rolled up paper towel to get Vaseline around it. I also put Vaseline at the hole of the larger metal thing (the one you took off) and so when it was inserted into the needle the extra Vaseline would go over the needle. From there you could try out the filter at your sink (this is where you can put the intake into the large cup or bucket) and see if it's quieter. If it's still noisy, try again and maybe use more Vaseline. You can of course use better lubrication for water/aquariums but I read Vaseline is safe to use."
inthenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I have one (Aquaclear 30) and it's very, very quiet. You might want to take it apart and check the impeller?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #4 
Badjer

Sooo I took it apart (didn't mess with the motor or anything...I just wanted to be sure I put it together correct) and now it isn't working at all. Think I'm going to give the costumer service hotline a call tomorrow. Ugh. :P
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I have two and I love them. One of mine made the whirring sound also but I just pulled the impeller out and put it back in and that fixed the issue.

I think I have a video of the sound mine was making. I'll see if I can find it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #6 
PixelatedPaint

The only time mine have ever made noise is when something has jammed in them...mainly play sand when I used it. I have like...5 different size/power aquaclear filters. Love them.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 
Badjer

Removed the impeller and tried the Vaseline thing...still no luck. It's QUIETER now but is no longer pumping water. Considering I'm leaving for four days tomorrow and now have no way to filter my tank, this is making me nervous.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Here's the sound mine was making.
http://youtu.be/2QkhmPmctEs

Removing and inspecting the impeller worked. I didn't have to put anything on it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 
PixelatedPaint

Let it rest unplugged for an hour and try again. I sometimes let it soak ( if you arent worried about cleaning it) in very hot water. That way if any debris is caught in it..unless it is sand...it should soften up.

I had one stop working on me once...I soaked and let it relax a bit and then presto...workin.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #10 
PixelatedPaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Here's the sound mine was making.
http://youtu.be/2QkhmPmctEs

Removing and inspecting the impeller worked. I didn't have to put anything on it.

something was jammed in the impeller for sure. Mine have made the same noise while sand was caught in it.