Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 
MyNameIs86

Question Hello. I'm New

Hello I'm new to this forum.
I am thinking bout getting a betta fish for my 3 gallon fish tank which recently became vacant. (i had 2 gold fish).

1.) Are Betta fish easy to care for?
2.) What do you do when you go on vacation?
3.) Do betta fish need special water? (Like salt water?)
4.) What kind of food do they eat other then pellets?
5.) Is Male Betta's better then Female?
6.) Can I put 2 in one tank? or do they have to be solo?
MyNameIs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #2 
erinandares

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you're asking questions before going out and buying. I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability. :3

1- Bettas aren't really hard to care for, if that's a good enough answer. A three gallon tank will suit one just fine. All you'll need is a heater. In a tank that size, you may or may not want a filter. But they can live just fine in a smaller tank without one provided the proper water changes are made.
2- I recently went on vacation and left five of my bettas at home for exactly seven days. I only brought the one because he needs special treatment water for a chronic illness. All of them were fine without food and without their water being changed for that amount of time, but granted, they are in ten and twenty gallon aquariums.
3- Bettas are freshwater fish. The only special thing their water needs is a heater. I only mentioned the treatment water because one of my fish has chronic SBD. Most are healthy, though, so I highly doubt you'll run into any problems. :3
4- People feed homemade food, live food such as brine shrimp and various worms, and frozen or freeze dried foods such as bloodworms and shrimp and krill. As long as the food is high in protien, it's good.
5- It depends on who you're asking. My female is the most attentive and sweet out of all my bettas. The males have longer fins and some people think are prettier to watch. As a pet, I don't think you can go wrong, either way.
6- The only way to put two in one tank is to divide the tank. They're very agressive little things. I wouldn't recommend dividing a three gallon aquarium, since it doesn't seem that it would leave too much swimming room. My divided tanks are both successful, after having worked out many a kink along the way. Lol. I would say unless you're buying another tank, only get one betta.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #3 
angella

Welcome! :)

From my experience...
1.) Are Betta fish easy to care for? Relatively
2.) What do you do when you go on vacation? I think having someone else take care of him/her if it's more than a few days would be best.
3.) Do betta fish need special water? (Like salt water?) No, freshwater. They like it heated though.
4.) What kind of food do they eat other then pellets? Mine have always loved bloodworms :) And sometimes shrimp.. lol
5.) Is Male Betta's better then Female? Whichever you wanted. Probably a male since their fins are cooler.
6.) Can I put 2 in one tank? or do they have to be solo? No, 3 gallons would not be good for two, no matter which sex you choose. So just one fish.
angella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello, MyNameIs and welcome to the forum. It looks like Erin and Angella covered everything. One thing they forgot to tell you... Bettas are addictive! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...nice to meet you......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote