Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #1 
jibruno

need help with brine shrimp,

So what kind is best to get, how do they hatch, ect. can someone give me some accurate info on brine shrimp and how to feed them to my bettas?
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

If you google Brine Shrimp Hatchery or just Brine Shrimp, it will give you tons of resources. Chec this one http://www.ehow.com/way_5241623_brin...chery-diy.html
I don't mean to be harsh by not answering and giving you links, it's just that these questions have been answered a hundred times here and you can easily get your answers with some light research.

To feed the brine shrimp, I remove the airline tubbing after they have hatched, let them rest for about an hour. By that time, most bbs will be swimming at the bottom (unless you have a bright overhead light) anf I use airline tubbing to syphon them into a different container.
After that I will put the container with the bbs in the fridge so all my brine shrimp will be stunned and at the bottom of the container.
To collect from the bottom, I plug one end of the airline tubbing with my finger and place the other end in the bottom of the container. I remove my finger from the end in the water and let the tubbing get filled with bbs. then I plug the end again and move to the tank and release the bbs in there.

I don't rinse my bbs because the salt in the water is not too much and it wont harm the fry. I change my water evey other day so salt doesn't have a chance to accumulate.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Are you feeding them to adults or is this for fry....generally BBS are too small for adults and it takes a lot of work since its a saltwater setup to raise brine shrimp anyway and they will have limited nutrition-daphnia are much easier and bigger for adults-plus freshwater.....

If its for fry-you want to feed the BBS newly hatched with their yolk sac intact for best nutrition-especially if they will be the only food you feed the fry.....

Any brand is fine-I personally buy OSI but only cause they are the cheapest...no other reason...I buy the 6g tubes because they can get old on you and not hatch-I get about 95% hatch on this brand using a simple hatchery I made out of an old 1gal plastic peanut container with a hole drilled in the lid for the airline hose and air stone-not heated or any added light-3tlb of pickling salt and a drop or 2 of bleach- 85F water to start and I will have hatch in about 24h...if you have high heavy metals in your water its a good idea to use some type of additive for the metals especially Zinc....

Rinse well before you feed due to the high bacteria and limit the shells since they can cause impaction problems for the fry....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #4 
jibruno

thank you both, one more question, how do you rinse them?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #5 
GhostFeather

Here is how I do mine,with a few modifications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

Now,what I do different:
I drill a small hole thru the bottle and bottle cap(the one inside the base),put a rigid air tube thru it(the kind that come with UG filters).
Drill a small hole thru the base,connect some airline tubing to the rigid line,then put the airline tubing thru the hole in the base,connect a 1 way gang valve to the end of the air line tubing sticking out of the base.
You may want to seal the cap holes with silicone(I do).
Finally,I tabe the bottle used for the salt water the whole way around it,leaving a few inches at the bottom untaped,the Brine Shrimp will be attracted to the light at the bottom(by the cap).
When you are ready to harvest,open the gang valve and drain as many as you want into a net or container of your choice.
All Shrimp and no eggs or residue!!!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

you need aquarium salt and warm temp. sorry do know like expert like above but am just being basic :P
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #7 
GhostFeather

Talking

I almost forgot:
make sure the gang valve is closed before you add the water and salt!!!!
What a mess!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #8 
jibruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFeather View Post
Here is how I do mine,with a few modifications
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8sNx9zTOnQ

Now,what I do different:
I drill a small hole thru the bottle and bottle cap(the one inside the base),put a rigid air tube thru it(the kind that come with UG filters).
Drill a small hole thru the base,connect some airline tubing to the rigid line,then put the airline tubing thru the hole in the base,connect a 1 way gang valve to the end of the air line tubing sticking out of the base.
You may want to seal the cap holes with silicone(I do).
Finally,I tabe the bottle used for the salt water the whole way around it,leaving a few inches at the bottom untaped,the Brine Shrimp will be attracted to the light at the bottom(by the cap).
When you are ready to harvest,open the gang valve and drain as many as you want into a net or container of your choice.
All Shrimp and no eggs or residue!!!
do you rinse them after?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #9 
GhostFeather

Yes,I rinse mine,just pour a little aquarium water over them in the net.
I am far from an expert,just been doing the fish thing for a lot of years!!
This is my first time with Bettas.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #10 
ThorAndGhost

I posted a big long post on this awhile back, on the forum where you can "meet the betta keepers". I picked up a few inexpensive tricks because I've read bad reviews on those hatcherys and I just sort of work from my own set-up.

I use coffee filters to drain the salt water and then rinse the little shrimp off, and then feed them to my little buddies.
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote