Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #1 
jmk1985

Tail Damage

Hello.

I've owned bettas in the past and have never had the situations I am facing now.

1. The tail of my half moon fish is all jacked up. (My mom said its because of the coral? but I've had the coral in my previous betta's tank and he lived for almost five years with a beautiful tail) The reason I bought him in particular was because of his gorgeous tail.

2. A wierd fogging/clear film has surfaced on the top of the tank. I can clean the water (completely) and in the next day or two its back. What is it?

I would really appreciate some guidance...
jmk1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Is this real coral or a fake resin decoration? It could be he is tearing his fins. He could also be biting his fins which is something common in badly bred long fins. If you could provide a picture it would help in determining whether he is biting or tearing his fins.

The film at the top is common. Especially if the tank isn't covered with a lid. Adding a small air pump or filter to provide surface agitation should help this. A good way to get rid of it is to take newspaper and dipping it in the water like 1/4 inch and then pulling it from the back tot he front of the tank. This will bunch the film together at the front of the tank and then you can swipe it out with your finger or a net.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 
jmk1985

Thank you for the film advice. I did that and it worked. What is that exactly?

I would love to take a picture but I lost my camera charger so my battery to my camera is dead. Only the back fin is messed up and its pretty short and evenly cut across. If it was from the coral (which is fake) then it would most likely be jagged? However, I have NEVER seen the fish eat its tail. The fish was bought at Petco so it def. could have been badly bred but my other fish was from there, no problem...
jmk1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 
Ayane Hajinmon

i dont know much but that sound pretty serious...why would he bite his tail? hope he's ok
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
Myates

I have to agree with 1fish, especially if it's more even that it sounds like fin biting. It's common for bettas, especially halfmoons tend to be the worse of the bunch.

Keep the water clean by changing it each week, high protein diet should help it grow back- but if he is a fin biter, sometimes they never let it grow back fully.
One of my males does it- he is a veiltail, started it when I went into surgery and couldn't be at my desk (where he is located at) for over a week. He still bites it here and there, but not that much luckily. If he is biting it, you can try to rearrange the decorations, or add new ones in to give him more mental stimulation.
Most likely he was used to smaller containers, such as a breeder's jar, and the cup.. and his muscles haven't built up enough to swim the larger tanks. So it may just be he needs to build them up so they don't feel as heavy for him.
Try flaring him daily for about 5 minutes with a mirror- it will help build up the muscles and it gives him something to do.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk1985 View Post
Thank you for the film advice. I did that and it worked. What is that exactly?

I would love to take a picture but I lost my camera charger so my battery to my camera is dead. Only the back fin is messed up and its pretty short and evenly cut across. If it was from the coral (which is fake) then it would most likely be jagged? However, I have NEVER seen the fish eat its tail. The fish was bought at Petco so it def. could have been badly bred but my other fish was from there, no problem...
It's a buildup of protein. I'm not 100% sure what causes it but it's not dangerous at all.. just unsightly. I get it on some of my tanks, especially the ones I keep IAL in for some reason.

If the edge of his caudal fin is looking more even it is most likely tail biting, although it's possible it got caught and just happened to tear evenly. To get it to grow back nicely you'll want to keep the water at about 80*, start feeding good foods twice daily and up your water changes. If he's not a chronic tail biter it should grow back nicely.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote