Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Blackout. What to do?

I feel like I've been asking a lot of questions today but here I go: We've been having bad snowstorms here and electricity goes on and off... What can I do to keep my fish warm if the electricity goes out for hours? Up to now, it hasn't lasted more than 1 hour but it's cold here. Luckily we have fireplace but without electricity i'm scared my fish could still freeze.

The other family members asked that I do not use the hot water for the tanks in case we need it so I can't add warm water to the tanks or make warm bottles to put against the tanks.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Mavi

I haven't tested this but I heard of somebody who filled bags with hot water and floated them in her fish's tank. Apparently it worked, so if you're really desperate it might be worth testing it out.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #3 
Mavi

Oh sorry, I didn't see your second paragraph, I thought it was your signature :P in that case your best bet is to put it in the warmest room in your house, away from any windows and underneath a lamp. Try to get a bulb that is purposely for producing heat but if you can't usually the cheapest bulbs which are the least energy efficient will produce the most heat. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
Virux

You could also try insulating the tank with some towels or blankets (if the situation is really super-emergency cold) to help hold the heat in it, but this probably wouldn't be necessary unless the ambient air temperature around the tank was in the sixties or so. Also, the cover or hood on the tank will help to hold some air in, as well.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
xXGalaxyXx

You could also buy some heat packs or heated blankets to place on or near the tanks if it gets bad enough. Just be sure to make sure they don't get too warm though, haha.
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #6 
LilyK

We recently had a blackout that lasted about 5 hours and I quickly wrapped both of my betta's tanks in a lot of towels. By the time the power, and heat, came back on, both of their tanks were only in the 60s (I keep them in the high 70s with heaters normally) and they didn't seem to mind to much. Hope that helps!
LilyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 
Mavi

Just a heads up, I've tried heating pads around the tank in a moment of crisis and it did nothing to help. It couldn't even maintain the temperature. The heat just refuses to penetrate the glass.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 
Virux

I use heating pads under a sick rat's cage who is being quarantined for this reason. The pads will warm the glass to the touch (actually they can make it very hot, which is why I check the glass regularly and use pads that can be kept very low) but the heat won't really penetrate any farther. As a result it creates a warm spot on the "Floor" for the rat to huddle on, but won't overheat her, worsening her problem.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 
Virux

Oh, when I say "Cage" I mean 10 gallon tank.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #10 
acadialover

I've used towels in he past lot's of them ! LOl
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote