Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 
ThorAndGhost

Betta Personalities

Hi All!

I was wondering what the personalities of your little betta buddies are like. Do you have any cute stories? How did you get to "know" them? Any "oddballs" in the bunch? Share them here! :)
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #2 
erinandares

Fun thread.... Fun.

Ares was a homicidal sociopath. This became obvious within days of my owning him. Lol. Kinda hard to miss.

Hermes was a wimp when I first got him. He still is sometimes. He's got a lot of bravado, but fails miserably at the carry through. xD

Phaistos is just a weenie and a horndog. This is also glaringly obvious.

Spiridion is a man's man. He's mellow and chill and not much rocks his boat.

Harmonia is a sweet little naive southern belle type of girl. At least, that's how I imagine her in my head. Sweet and genteel, but slightly socially inept.

Banana Fish is all over the place. He wants attention, but he doesn't let you point at him. He dances for food, then can't find it when you drop it in the tank (Lol, it's always right behind him). He tries to be hardcore, but then he decides it's too much work.

Erasmos is... it's hard to say. He's just a chill little dude. Swims and swims and swims. He's curious.

And Atreus I've only had for a few hours, but he's chock full of attitude and curiosity. God bless him. xD
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

What bettas AREN'T oddballs?

No bettas at the moment, but someday, someday. Will own them again. :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #4 
Moclam

My little guy, Seven is quite the curious one. He checks everything out that go's on around him, and loves popping bubbles. He also likes showing off to my cat, and taunts her whenever possible. And I recently figured out he has a fear of tooth brushes...Haha.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #5 
NoahG

Hm, let's see...

Ezra is pretty chill -- I've only seen him flare once/twice and it was because I had my finger against his tank and kept it there (he doesn't like that); if you count it as twice the second time was when he came back at me flaring because I had pressed my finger to his tank and didn't move it. He's a ladies man, but also very interactive with me. He likes watching people and my dog, and he loves the little ship I have in with him. He's a bit of a hunter.

Bebette I had thought was a little bit timid/cautious, but I was wrong. She has attitude and will bite things I put in her tank -- hemostats (I was trying to get bloodworms that fell to the bottom), eye droppers, probably fingers...she plays a little hard to get with Ezra.

Haifisch eats like a little shark (more so than Bebette) and she's...a little boy crazy I think. She also likes to watch things outside of her tank and I think she's a sweet little thing. She likes to try and get Kostya's attention.

Kostya, he's my quirky guy. He loves hunting in the crevices of his gravel (doing so as I type, actually) and he's the one I've noticed try to see if he can squeeze through seemingly small holes/gaps. He likes blowing bubbles, and he likes attention as well (he doesn't mind the camera being on him). He's a funny little guy who seems a little in his own world (doesn't notice Hai as much as Ezra notices Bebette).
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 
Thesharpestlives

Zipper, my favorite fish by far (sorry seattle) Is Insanely curious! he checks out everything in the tank, and flares if anything is out of place..which makes me think hes OCD. lmao :) hes such a cutie. he flares at almost everything! i love that little fish to death :)
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 
bubbleymonki

Ponyo is my third and favorite betta fish. A very curious fish; always watching her surroundings. She tends be hyper, always actively swimming in circles. Very social, usually swimming front of the tank. She rarely gets scared. Only flares at her reflection or a big bubble in the surface of the water.
bubbleymonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 
karrie91

I have three betta's, but my first betta who is about four months old now is really really sociable. He's cocky, and doesn't like any other fish. He seems to have quite the fondness for me though. Whenever I come near the tank he swims over to the front, greeting me. I can snap my fingers and he comes, and if I lightly tap on the glass he gets very excited. I've also seen response to when I sing to him. He's a blue veiltail betta who was rescued from a pet store in a tiny cup. He's the king of all three betta's and I know it's bad to say but he is my favorite. I have him in a five gallon all to himself. I tried other fish with him but they had to go because he did not like them at all. He loves attention and is just one cocky fish. Love him to death.

My other two Betta's are very different. Elrond, who is very white with reds and pinks and undertones of light blue is friendly and calm. He spends a lot of time making master bubble nests. He gets along with other fish and loves peeking out the windows of his spongebob pinapple house. He prefers a 2 gallon tank to a five gallon. For some reason he does not do well in a larger tank. He prefers a small area for just himself and is very laid back.

Now my newest betta, Kanarrie, is very different. He's a yellow betta, something I never could have even dreamed of owning. I rescued him from the pet store, just shocked to see a yellow one. He doesn't much like people right now. I've only had him for about two weeks. He's also in a two gallon and seems to be content in it. He has started building bubble nests and does kind of like when the cats pay him a visit and peek through the glass.

Honestly, Jebadia is the one with the real personality though. He's much larger than the other two bettas and is a very intense blue vieltail. He just has this attitude about him but this friendliness for people. It's quite something to watch lol.

Wow.. that's a lot to say about bettas. I love them though.. I keep saying no more.. but said that with the second and then brought home Kanarrie. (who is odlly named slightly like my name)
karrie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #9 
ThorAndGhost

Ha! Love these stories! People say fish don't have personalities, but they are WRONG! I can't wait to hear how one guy developed a fear of toothbrushes!

I was wondering if anyone else noticed their females flaring? Yesterday I caugh Panchali flaring at Cersei, and chasing her all around, trying to bite her fins and head butt her! I had to remove Panchali, because I really had no choice. Up until now they've always gotten along, but for some reason, Panchali just went nuts! Didn't even know a female could flare!

Anyone else ever see this?
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 
SpookyTooth

While I don't have any female bettas (maybe in the future, who knows) I do have my single male betta, Kaze. When I first acquired him he was busy patrolling the front of his display tank - I fell in love with his busyness (I myself am not so busy, don't have the energy to be except when doing water changes and other nessecary things).

Upon taking him home I couldn't help but watch him explore every inch of his aquarium - he would constantly flare at his reflection to begin with but gradually learned that the handsome fellow he gazed upon was not a rival man of beauty but rather himself and decided he looked too good to keep "ruffling his own feathers". He ignores mirrors completely (except for once two days ago... accidental).

I haven't even had him a week and already feel like he knows who "mum" is. He'll gladly swim across the front of the aquarium when I'm sat at my desk and appear not to see me... but he'll stop in front of me and his fins will go erect for a moment before he elegently slinks away to patrol the rest of his home.

Every time he eats he releases a small series of tiny bubbles - almost in appreciation it seems. He'll also chase his food dramatically if it starts to sink.

(While I was typing this he was settling down on one of his smooth stones... he was moving himself to get "comfortable" and BOOP he bumped his nose against the aquarium side... d'oh.)

He doesn't follow fingers too much but quite liked following a chocolate stick (on the outside of his 6.3 gallon aquarium of course, I'd never put non-fishkeeping/aquatic related substances and/or food into the water)... he'd start looking for it when I decided enough was enough and wanted to eat it - which added to the classic "chocolate binge guilt" that one may experience on occasion.

He also has a floating lotus plant that I like to poke around gently with my finger. He'll watch it move and swim over to it to investigate. I find it rather sweet...

There's something still a little "odd" about him, but I don't mind. I'm odd myself so it works out splendidly. Though I do wish he'd stop attacking the christmas moss in his aquarium like it had offended him in some way...

Buuuut there you go. That's all I can really say for now. Apart from his apparently dislike for christmas moss, love of the view of chocolate sticks (who doesn't love the view of chocolate sticks though?) and determination to jump into plastic bottle baffles and remain there, limp, until I find him and free him he seems happy and settled.

A sponge filter helped...

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 01-01-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Spelling...
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote