Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
LakotaWolf

After a betta's death: Sterilize tank before re-using it?

Hi there,

My poor betta, The Stig, died today. He had been looking and acting sickly for a few weeks, so I knew the end was near :{

I want to eventually get a new betta in a few weeks when I'm feeling less depressed about Stiggy's death, but since I don't know exactly why he died, should I break down/drain/sterilize every inch of his tank before I house another betta in there?

I am almost positive that The Stig did NOT die of a parasitical/bacterial/fungal infection, so I don't know if I should sterilize everything or not.

The water parameters in the tank are perfect. It has several live plants and has been running for six months. It is about 7gallons, has a gravel substrate, and a small Fluval filter.

The gravel could use a good rinsing either way, I think.

If I do clean the tank from stem to stern, should I save any of the old water to soak the filter in, so it'll still have a good bacterial culture?

As a side question, should I use some other substrate besides gravel? Because I have live plants (and I love having them), I need SOME substrate - I can't just leave it bare :} I used to use sand in my triops/invertibrates tank, and I love the sand, but I don't know if it's bad for a betta's environment.

Thanks in advance :}
LakotaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #2 
Badjer

I'd break it down and sterilize everything just to be on the safe side. Sand is fine for a substrate...I use it in my 20 gallon and much prefer it to gravel!

Sorry to hear about the death of your betta.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote