Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What is your college major?
Engineering 3 11.54%
Biology/Chemistry 10 38.46%
Math/Computer Science 2 7.69%
Business/Economics 3 11.54%
Social Sciences (e.g. Communications) 3 11.54%
Foreign Studies 0 0%
Humanities (e.g. History, Foreign Languages, Art etc.) 7 26.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #21 
bahamut285

Only loony chemists take orgochem. XD!!!!!!!!

Oh wait............ >_>

We don't think biologists are loony, though xD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #22 
Tikibirds

I have a BA in History, working on a MA in Military History

And I am a female, most people think MALE when I say Military History
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #23 
hmckin20

anthropology is probably going to be my major, i've considered everything from english , art to computer science in the past though.

i wouldn't mind double majoring.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #24 
AngesRadieux

I'm a vocal music ed major. :) The program's been kicking my butt, but I love music and I'm liking teaching even better than I thought I would. I teach privately at a local music store and it's very rare that I don't feel better after a lesson than I did before. I really love my job and I don't think I could've gotten through the semester without having my students showing me that singing really is what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm hoping to start a singing class/choir for children in the music store and I'm working on planning a faculty recital. It's so much fun!
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #25 
Oiseau

I don't know what I'd fall under, but I am studying (and working) to be a copy editor. I'm also finishing up my BA of Arts in Creative Writing next year.
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #26 
GeoDragon

I know for sure that I can't lump myself into any major! I'm finishing up my Bs in Earth Science (with a heavy focus on geology). I am currently working on what can essentially be described as a bachelors thesis on a local rock formation that has little research done on it. I graduate in June too so finally all my hard work will pay off!
GeoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #27 
Scruffy Nerfherder

I was an Art Major. All of these bio-related majors intimidate me I never finished, though. Got lazy, didn't do the work for the Gen Ed classes, and so on. I'm planning to go back and get my BA in Film and Video Production, as soon as I get out of my current financial scrape.
Scruffy Nerfherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #28 
Rjb5584

Graduated in '08 with a BA in English - Creative Writing and have been unemployed or under-employed until very recently, when I became a professional writer (wow, that still sounds really strange).

However, although I've been told I have a talent for writing, and the process of getting my degree helped my writing immensely, it was my non-academic experience (and, ironically, my failures specifically) that landed me this recent streak of opportunities. The degree was simply what got my foot in the door.

For anyone interested in becoming a writer professionally, it isn't nearly as awesome as it sounds when you're in high school and/or college. Yes, I'm most likely going to be in a perpetual state of poverty if I rely on this as a sole income for the rest of my life. Yes, I do miss meals occasionally. Yes, often times, I do a ton of work on things that will most likely never see the light of day, let alone earn me any money. Yes, writer's block is real and strikes at the worst times.

But, I also cannot deny that if you love the act of dragging a pen/pencil across paper, or clacking out the beauty and madness that floats around in your mind, that nothing could ever replace that feeling of when someone actually writes you a check for that little peek inside your head.

Then again, nothing quite feels like that feeling of eating nothing but Cup-o-Noodle for four days straight, or not eating anything for a whole day either.

To get back on track, if you want to go into Creative Writing--specifically in editorials or entertainment writing--then practice, practice, practice; get as much criticism as you can from as many different kinds of people as possible; and take some workshops that require you to share your writing in a group. I didn't think I was a terribly skilled writer until I took some of these classes and realized that, although I wasn't going to win a Pulitzer any time soon, nor was I ever the best writer in the class, I definitely wasn't as bad as my head kept trying to tell me I was for so many years.

If I could do it all over again, I honestly would have gone into Engineering, Business, and/or Finance/Economics. But I also would have continued writing.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a Cup-o-Noodle calling my name from the pantry...
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #29 
Pucky21811

I originally was a TV-Production major for one year, and decided what wasn't for me. I'm a Childhood Ed (1st-6th grade) major, English concentration. Plus a theatre minor, and probably a few creative writing courses. :) Glad to know there are other betta lovers in college like me. My friends think I'm crazy to have two in the dorm room, and that I'm crazier to want more! :D
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #30 
AcrimoniousArbiter

It's been so cool reading all of these!
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college major degree poll