Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #1 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
What do clean the tank with?

hello...i am new to this...just like to ask a quick question...
what am i suppose to clean the tank with? i read somewhere that you're not suppose to clean the tank with soap or detergent...is there something i can use to clean his tank?
another question...it is a good idea to put the Marimo Moss ball in his tank? i bought one at the same time i bought my fish but he seem afraid of it and wont go to the bottom of the tank...should i take it off?
Please answer...thank you


and btw...i think my fish is watching tv...sound silly i know but i really think he is cuz he came to the end of the tank and just chill when i turn on the tv
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 
Mavi
New Member
 
Mavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I don't know about the moss ball but really really hot water should do the trick for cleaning the tank. I think vinegar is safe too.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
ok just really really hot water is good enough then?
im gonna give him a few more days...if he really hate the moss ball then im gonna take it out when i clean his tank -^_^-
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 
Badjer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
Hot water is just fine for cleaning an empty tank. The moss ball should be fine. Usually it's best to QT new plants before putting them with your fish. My moss ball sunk...I think they have minds of their own! Just give your fish some time to get used to it. Nearly everything scares them at first, but curiosity gets to them eventually!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #5 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Hot water is just fine for cleaning an empty tank. The moss ball should be fine. Usually it's best to QT new plants before putting them with your fish. My moss ball sunk...I think they have minds of their own! Just give your fish some time to get used to it. Nearly everything scares them at first, but curiosity gets to them eventually!
what is "QT"? sorry im not very good at english
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #6 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
also...i know you're not suppose to add another betta and all but he look so lonely...is there anything i can add as his tank mate?
Attached Images
 
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #7 
SpookyTooth
Member
 
SpookyTooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: England
I recently ordered some marimo balls for my lovely boy Kaze - they can move on their own so if you notice it halfway across the tank or up the side don't panic! Hehe.

Your betta is very pretty. What size is that tank? Although it is really down to personal preference and your betta's personality you can add certain types of snails and/or shrimps - of course you do also have to consider tank size and hiding places. Many bettas have been reported to have eaten snails and shrimps though, so it can be quite a risky business.

For larger aquariums (like... 10 gallons/20 gallons I think it was) you can add cories (which are a schooling algae eater, they require groups of at least four - usually six).

I'm pretty new, but this is what I've learned so far. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you much more! Good luck :)
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #8 
Badjer
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan, USA
QT means quarantine. This makes sure that if the plant has any parasites or diseases, you don't infect your whole tank.

If your tank is 10 gallons or larger, you can add tank mates. If it's smaller and you clean often, you can maybe have a snail or some ghost shrimp. Snails have large bioloads though, and shrimp can quickly become betta snacks! Also, bettas are solitary fish. He isn't lonely and he never will be...they prefer to be alone. If you add tank mates, he may tolerate them but he will never really like them.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #9 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
I recently ordered some marimo balls for my lovely boy Kaze - they can move on their own so if you notice it halfway across the tank or up the side don't panic! Hehe.

Your betta is very pretty. What size is that tank? Although it is really down to personal preference and your betta's personality you can add certain types of snails and/or shrimps - of course you do also have to consider tank size and hiding places. Many bettas have been reported to have eaten snails and shrimps though, so it can be quite a risky business.

For larger aquariums (like... 10 gallons/20 gallons I think it was) you can add cories (which are a schooling algae eater, they require groups of at least four - usually six).

I'm pretty new, but this is what I've learned so far. Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you much more! Good luck :)
thank you...i will tell him that you said he's pretty
the moss ball moved and he got spook by it when i saw him checking it out this afternoon lol
my tank is only 3 gallons...so im thinking maybe add like 3 ghost shrimps in there and see if he's ok with it
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #10 
Ayane Hajinmon
New Member
 
Ayane Hajinmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
QT means quarantine. This makes sure that if the plant has any parasites or diseases, you don't infect your whole tank.

If your tank is 10 gallons or larger, you can add tank mates. If it's smaller and you clean often, you can maybe have a snail or some ghost shrimp. Snails have large bioloads though, and shrimp can quickly become betta snacks! Also, bettas are solitary fish. He isn't lonely and he never will be...they prefer to be alone. If you add tank mates, he may tolerate them but he will never really like them.
ok..im gonna try a few ghost shrimps next week...if he eat his friends then ill know that he like being alone
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to clean a used tank? Silverfang Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 09-05-2011 06:16 PM
How To Clean A Tank? BettaMan Betta Fish Care 9 12-31-2010 03:49 AM
How to Clean the Fry Tank? tigahunta Breeding Betta Fish 3 09-30-2010 05:46 PM
thoroughly clean a tank? kuklachica Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 01-24-2010 10:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.