Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
fishyfishy86

New betta

I got a new betta yesterday yay! I don't know what to call him, suggestions welcome. What I am wondering is Henry (my other betta) is in a 10g tank and doesn't eat well but my new betta is in a 5g and he eats really well. Would Henry do better in a five gallon?
fishyfishy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 
Mavi

When you say "he doesn't eat well" do you mean that he is ignoring his food or that he isn't noticing when you put it in? Because generally bigger is better when it comes to tank size.
Mavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #3 
fishyfishy86

Eating

I think it's a case of both. I splash the water a bit and he comes over but then by the time I've got the food in he's gone again. How can I get him to stay long enough to at least see the food?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #4 
callmeconfused

What does the new betta look like?
Oh, and I agree with Mavi. In a 10 gallon, Henry may not be noticing the food because he's distracted or preoccupied elsewhere. Try dropping the food in front of him or over him. Or he could be getting picky. I don't think size would matter when it comes to food, but I could be wrong :)
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
callmeconfused

Does he come to the surface when the light is first turned on? If so, then maybe you could try feeding him when you first turn on the light. Just have the food ready before you start.
callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 
Bettas DESERVE BETTER

What are you feeding? you say you have only just got him, Perhaps he is still settling in to his new surroundings, there is no definate answer to when he will eat, other than when he wants really. Bloodworm is a good thing to try, you might find he readily accepts this, try putting it on the surface of the water rather than under the surface if you can do it side on you have more a chance of him noticing it that way.
Bettas DESERVE BETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #7 
fishyfishy86

eating

I haven't noticed him coming up when I put the light on. He must be eating something cos I've had him about 3 weeks now and he's not wasting away. Maybe he just eats when Im not looking.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
wnppmy

My new Betta didn't immediately go to the food, now use end of a plastic fork, after dropping in a pellet I touch the surface with the utensil and he now finds it right away.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote