Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #11 
Myates

Every place you go to you will most likely see ill fish- happens with all types of fish from all different places. Just the way it is with them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldz View Post
Petco= all the bettas are veiltail
Xander says:
Nuttin' wrong with veiltails! Humph!
(don't anger the grumpy old man!)
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #12 
SummerOj

The two Petsmarts around where I live are clean. They have big cups for their bettas and never stack them. All the animals there are active and seem healthy.

The Petcos around here I don't go to. They are dirty and dark xD Their tanks are not very clean but not disgustingly dirty... and they have like a whole section of bettas, but... I don't shop at Petco (unless they have the dollar per gallon sale....) because I bought 2 "male" gerbils from there and ended up with 20 more gerbils.

I would shop at a local ma and pa shop but all there is here is this place called Valley Pets. Crowded, small, very sad to walk into. All their bettas were dead when I went in and their big snakes were cramped into tiny tanks. They had two cute gerbils there but there was more poop then bedding...

So, the only good pet place around here that I have found would have to be Petsmart.

Last edited by SummerOj; 12-30-2011 at 07:12 PM.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #13 
Virux

I know this is a "poor little guys/low Q. thread" but I thought I'd mention: You can get fabulous bettas at your Local Fish Store sometimes. My lfs sells Bettas on occasion, but instead of "Cupping" them, he puts them in 1 gal bowls with some gravel in the bottom, no medicines in the water. When you buy one, he cups out some water, puts it in a bag, and then bags the Betta for you. No little cups at all, ever. So not all fish sellers are so bad, though the chain stores are usually pretty crappy.

Just thought I'd share. :)

PS: I did a water quality test on some of the bowl water from a friend purchase. Ammonia was almost zero. One color away. I don't have my little book out so I can't give you the exact number, but it was one shade away from 0 ppm.

Last edited by Virux; 12-30-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Virux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #14 
chrissylee13

i work at petsmart in pet care, and i personally change the betta water every few days. and the blue water is just a betta specific water conditioner. we don't like how it makes the water blue, so once what we have is gone we're switching to a different kind so that people don't assume they're sick or have them ask weird questions. one time a lady asked if the bettas were toxic because of the water. silly people. :]
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #15 
chrissylee13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerOj View Post
The two Petsmarts around where I live are clean. They have big cups for their bettas and never stack them. All the animals there are active and seem healthy.

The Petcos around here I don't go to. They are dirty and dark xD Their tanks are not very clean but not disgustingly dirty... and they have like a whole section of bettas, but... I don't shop at Petco (unless they have the dollar per gallon sale....) because I bought 2 "male" gerbils from there and ended up with 20 more gerbils.

I would shop at a local ma and pa shop but all there is here is this place called Valley Pets. Crowded, small, very sad to walk into. All their bettas were dead when I went in and their big snakes were cramped into tiny tanks. They had two cute gerbils there but there was more poop then bedding...

So, the only good pet place around here that I have found would have to be Petsmart.

i just wanted to add that the petsmart i work at is supposed to only carry males for small animals and reptiles but sometimes we get females! luckily, it's only happened once as far as i know, now we have 4 adorable baby robo hamsters haha. but unfortunately sometimes the animals are so young its hard to tell their gender before they're sent to us. :[
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #16 
BettaMommy531rip

Having medication in the water doesn't really hurt the fish unless they over dose. You're lucky that they take better care of their bettas. My PetCo has no medicine at all. Only my PetMart does. I prefer my PetsMart, though they don't have as big a betta selection, it means that they can take better care of the bettas they have.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #17 
Myrtaceae

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylee13 View Post
i just wanted to add that the petsmart i work at is supposed to only carry males for small animals and reptiles but sometimes we get females! luckily, it's only happened once as far as i know, now we have 4 adorable baby robo hamsters haha. but unfortunately sometimes the animals are so young its hard to tell their gender before they're sent to us. :[
Lol, I bought two female mice from a Petco once, and when I looked around I noticed there was one male mouse harem-ing' it up in there. I told they employees and they took him out. Poor guy probably was having the time of his life before I spoiled it.

Keeping a petstore running is a lot different from keeping a few home aquariums-- and we don't always know what condition the fish were shipped in. I don't begrudge them an occasional ill fish, but I do hate it when I hear employees give bad advice (bettas don't need heaters, 10gal for 3 goldfish, etc).

Big chains have all kinds of official standards, but once you throw live animals into the mix, everything changes. As a result, you tend to end up with stores that are pretty good and stores that are terrible, all depending on who manages them.

That's true for locally owned stores too. I'd trust petsmart any day over my lfs-- the guy who runs it likes saltwater and those tanks look amazing, but his freshwater fish...another story.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #18 
revolutionrocknroll

My Petco's pretty good. The water is usually clean and the fish are relatively healthy for having to live in cups. I was actually having a conversation with one of the managers about setting up a ten gallon that I got for Christmas. He seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. My Petsmart's not as good but it's a much bigger store than the Petco is. They have more animals and less free time to take care of them :/
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #19 
AngesRadieux

My Petco seems to be better than the Petsmart. I went to Petsmart today and there was a plakat male with a white growth on his head and a gorgeous blue butterfly male who looked lethargic and miserable. The butterfly was in a divided tank, probably about 1/2 gallon, with a dead plakat on the other side. They also had a bunch of fish labeled as halfmoons who were CLEARLY not half moons. There wasn't a single active betta there. There other tanks looked alright, but I didn't look too closely.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #20 
Sprinkles

I stopped in my local Petco last night for the first time in awhile. The first time, months and months ago, I was not impressed. It was no better this time around. A third of the bettas were dead, the rest looked either starved or very clamped and lethargic. Filthy water. I don't think they had any care since they'd been there, likely. They had a few females that looked semi-okay, though very stressed. I wanted to take home a little Crowntail female something fierce. It killed me to leave her there. I may have to go back and rescue her.

My local Petsmart isn't fabulous, but they're not terrible, either. Several of their bettas usually have fin rot, or seem lethargic, but they also have some really nice looking fish on occasion. I wish they sold more than just VT females though.
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote