Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 
BettaMommy531rip

Question Quarantine Tanks

I hope to be starting a betta sorority soon, but that means, QUARANTINE TANKS!!!! This I think might be one of the biggest expenses! You need containers for fish, plants, snails, everything! So I need you guys to please, please, please tell me what is acceptable as a quarantine container? I'm thinking Critter Keepers. Is that OK?
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Critter keepers work but plastic storage bins work just as well for the fraction of the price. Look for something that is close to a gallon or more. Remember that you'll have to find a way to appropriately heat each container.. that is the biggest challenge.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #3 
BettaMommy531rip

How did you figure out how to heat them?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Well I don't have a sorority set up right now but when I did I was slowly gathering females (most of them were breeder fish), so I had 5 in separate tanks before deciding to start up a sorority. I just had a lot of heaters Luckily for me at that time I wasn't paying my own electricity bill LOL

You could heat the room with a space heater or get a tape heater (like to use with reptiles).

Another option is to get quart size or larger deli containers (the ones that are tall) and a sweater box (the storage bins that are wide and flat to fit under a bed). You can put the girls in a deli container and then put the containers in the bin and fill the bin with water and put a 50W heater in the bin. When the water in the bin heats up it will also heat up the water in each container holding a fish. It's a good way to heat a lot of fish at once. It's how I heat my fry jars.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

I think I might try the tape heater. I also have a few more questions if ya don't mind. (u don't have to answer if you don't want to)
What is a good hood for a 15 gallon tank?
What is a good heater for a 2.5 gallon tank?
What is a good heater for a 5 gallon tank?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #6 
kfryman

I have a 15g tank and I use this heater http://www.amazon.com/06106-Heaters-...5305389&sr=8-2 it is about half off from at the petstores. I know that at Petco it is $43. Amazon is way cheaper for this. Also I have heard good reviews about this heater it will be good for the 5g and 2.5g and it is adjustable! For $10 it can't be beat! http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...5305571&sr=8-1
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

A hood for a 15 gallon? Do you mean the light or the whole hood? Most tanks come with hoods but if not I'd go with a glass top by versa and a light strip that fits the tank (I'm not sure how long 15 gallons are). If you are doing live plants you'll want a bulb of at least 18 watts and 6500k range. If you aren't doing live plants then the wattage of the lamp isn't very important.

Heaters.. I like aqueon and hydor heaters. For a 5 gallon I'd go with 50watts and for a 2.5 I'd go with 25 watts.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

Thanx kfryman! I'll check out these heaters! But 1fish2fish I'm not sure where the hood is to my 15 gallon because it used to belong to my mom way back when, and I don't know where the hood is. There is no lights or heater or hood in the box with the 15 gallon. Also how would I attach lightbulbs to a light strip? Sorry, I'm kinda stupid with lightbulbs, because the only lightbulbs I've ever dealt with are the tiny ones in my betta's tank. I can take a picture of the tank (hopefully 2morrow) if that would help.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

If you buy a new light strip it will come with a fluorescent bulb :)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #10 
BettaMommy531rip

OK. That seems simple enough. I happened to click on your link to Moon River Bettas. I didn't look around to extensively (I promise I will later). What types of bettas do you breed? I see a double tail female in your avatar. Do you breed double tails?