Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #1 
ArcticRain

Can I use a Filter but still have a Non-Cycled tank?

Today I went out and bought an Aqueon Submersible Heater for my 5 gallon tank. I bought it so I would have the ability to adjust the temp. Well, I set it all up and I noticed that the thermometer wasn't rising even though, according to the heater it was the right temp. Then it hit me. I don't have a filter so the heat wasn't spreading evenly through the tank. The heater has an automatic shut-off so once the water around the heater was the right temp. it would turn off. Leaving the rest of the tank about 4 degrees cooler then I want. I know that I should just get a filter and that it would solve the problem. But, I do not want a cycled tank under any circumstances. Please don't ask why. I just don't.

So, I was thinking that if I got a filter but still treated the tank as if it was
un-cycled. I would have a Filtered Un-Cycled tank.
My questions are... Is this even possible? If so, how many water changes would i have to do to ensure the tank remained Un-cycled? What filter do you recommend?
Thank you for your help!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

The bacteria need someplace to grow so I would "think" if you do 100% water changes, vaccum the gravel, clean the decorations and maybe not use the actual filter cartridge, the bacteria wont be able to grow. basically just keep all surface areas cleaned so they cant colonize.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

What if I got an air pump instead of a filter, and ran the line down the back of the tank wall. If I set the pump on the lowest setting, would the bubbles circulate the heat?
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 
SpookyTooth

If you grab an air stone, an air pump and air line you can rig it all up with the air stone trailing beneath the heater, this would help distribute the heat (or so I've read). You can get pretty long air stones or "air curtains", that are an L shaped air stone type thing that creates a... curtain of bubbles.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote