Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #1 
picklewyoming90

Lightbulb Mirrors

Hello. I was reading an earlier post that discussed mirrors, and I decided to post a new thread on the topic. I am sorry if this was a recent discussion on an older page. If there is an older page you can link me to, i have no opposition to it ;}

how much mirror time for a betta is too much? My little guy, pickle, is suffering from what i SUSPECT to be velvet. He is not well. Is it ok to put a mirror in front of an ill betta?
He is in a hospital tank currently. I saved pickle through Craigslist. He had fin rot when we brought him home. So our time together has had a rough start. he spent a week in a pickle jar, was in his ten gallon tank for about 3 days, and then went back to what i now call his hospital tank (the pickle jar..one gallon).
Today i did a 100% water change in the hospital tank. (its been 4 days since i started bettafix to combat illness/finrot in the hosp. tank [no filer, no heater]). Todays water change I added a pinch of aquarium salt along with the conditioner and medicine. And he was very very lethargic to the change. I tried my best to match the temperature. (about 4 degree difference maybe). the ph levels were slightly higher than his old water, but it was within a .05 range. (could this have been the aquarium salt?)
It is important for me to note that there is nothing in his hospital tank. and I wonder if its contributed to his behavior (bored?). going back to the hospital tank he seemed skiddish and scared. but I feared putting anything in the hospital tank due to cross contamination.
we did note that putting the mirror back in front of his hospital tank has raised his spirits. he flares and swims about, and then rests on his side. We decided that was an appropriate time to take away the mirror.

SO IN CONCLUSION: is it ok to place a mirror in front of an ill betta? particularly with fin rot? and it they're healthy, how much mirror time is too much?

Last edited by picklewyoming90; 05-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.
picklewyoming90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I probably wouldn't be flaring a sick betta, especially if it is something like velvet. I wouldn't want him expending valuable energy or potentially stressing himself while he is trying to rest and recover.

Most fish dislike hospital or quarantine tanks because they are usually sparsely decorated and have a bare bottom.

I also wanted to add, if your fish is truly suffering from velvet, you should have the tank completely darkened. Velvet can feed through photosynthesis, so blacking out the tank helps. Furthermore, some of the ingredients in medications aimed at treating velvet are light sensitive.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #3 
picklewyoming90

thanks for the wonderful response, LittleBettaFish! Pickle has perked up a little bit, but i will go ahead and turn off his light.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #4 
FinnDublynn

Also. I have heard many a terrible thing about Bettafix and it harming and potentially leading to the death of some Bettas, and from what I understand about it, it will not help the Velvet at all...

Also, some medications are also temp sensitive, and need to be around the 82 degree range in order to work properly. You say the jar is unheated? If the water is too cold, it could account for his lethargic nature too.

I do not know what medication is suggested for Velvet, I just know bettafix is about as effective as clean water and nothing more. I would post pictures, and a the information from the sticky in the Diseases section and get some better treatment ideas for the velvet and fin rot.

As far as the mirror goes, there is no need to stress him out any more than he is in his weakened state... I would avoid flaring him until he is healed.
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #5 
picklewyoming90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDublynn View Post
Also. I have heard many a terrible thing about Bettafix and it harming and potentially leading to the death of some Bettas, and from what I understand about it, it will not help the Velvet at all...

Also, some medications are also temp sensitive, and need to be around the 82 degree range in order to work properly. You say the jar is unheated? If the water is too cold, it could account for his lethargic nature too.

I do not know what medication is suggested for Velvet, I just know bettafix is about as effective as clean water and nothing more. I would post pictures, and a the information from the sticky in the Diseases section and get some better treatment ideas for the velvet and fin rot.

As far as the mirror goes, there is no need to stress him out any more than he is in his weakened state... I would avoid flaring him until he is healed.
This depresses me, as the town I live in is getting snow which means the interstate is closed which means I wont be able to get proper medicine because this place is so small!!!!
thank you for the good advice. I will post in the disease section.

Overall, how much mirror time is too much for a healthy betta?
Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #6 
FinnDublynn

No more than 5 minutes, I would say, but every fish is different. Some fish get REALLY stressed the moment they see the mirror, and will take to fin biting to relieve the stress. Then theres some like my McKinley... I could leave it in there for hours and he ignores it. 5 minutes of flaring tho, I would say, is a healthy amount of time as long as your fish tolerates it.
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I personally use Seachem Cupramine to treat velvet. Velvet is something I am very familiar with as my wild bettas are particularly prone to it. Seachem Cupramine and keeping the tank dark (I put a towel over my tanks) and the temperature around 28-30 degrees celsius is what I have found works best. However, you do need to wait the whole two week period as the instructions say, and sometimes a repeat treatment may be necessary as some strains of velvet can be extremely tenacious.

However, this is if it is velvet at all. A lot of people on this forum, misdiagnose velvet because they look at the natural iridescence or colour of their fish and think it's the 'gold dust' that indicates an actual infection. Velvet carries with it a raft of other symptoms such as lethargy, skittishness, lack of appetite, clamped fins, rapid breathing, and the fish will often start to scratch itself against substrate or glass, or decorations, in a bid to dislodge the parasite.

Bettafix is pretty much useless in my opinion. I am not someone who thinks it kills fish, but I think it doesn't do anything more than clean water and time will.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote