Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #1 
MiriamandMoonlight

Question Uncycled tank and sick fish

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to talk
to you about my betta fish's home. His name is Yin and I
just moved him to his 10 gallon permanant home.

A month ago, I got him from Petsmart in a tiny cup that stunk and had hardly any air

I brought him home and put him in a 1.9 gallon tank, after acclimating him for 20 mins.
He was very happy & active after the first few days but he had velvet and something wrong with his gill. (the tissue under his gill stuck out when he wasn't flairing. For weeks I used 2 teaspoons of non-iodised table salt in the little tank
but those two problems didn't go away. For a few days, he was a fin-biter but then he stopped, leaving his finns a little nipped up. The salt healed that up quickly but he started losing colors.

After about a month of the little 2 gallon, I decided
to upgrade him to a ten-gallon aquarium.
It has a screen top, thermometer, ten pounds gravel, plus 2 ceramic hidey-pots, and I went to the petstore and got a live plant. I ordered a heater (Hydor mini heater for 5-10 gallons) that I read had good reviews.

He is now in the new tank only filled up halfway to start, (I need to get the money for several more plants before filling it up all the way) and the thermometer reads 77.4-6 F in day and 75.0 F at night. I just got the filter I ordered & installed it. He's still swimming fine so the current must not be too strong. He still has velvet. but his color is stronger now, meaning he must be happy in his new tank. But what should I do about the diseases he still has?

And what about the nitrogen cycle? I just remembered about cycling his
bigger tank!, is it OK to cycle it with him?
MiriamandMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #2 
hrutan

You should be able to cycle with him just fine in a 10 gallon tank. The large amount of water will actually make it safer for him - just don't add any more fish.

But right now, just worry about the velvet (are you sure it is velvet?). I would move to medication specifically for velvet, at this point. Apparently it needs light to photosynthesize, so keep the tank very dark as well.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

Honestly, I do not think this is velvet. If it was, it would have probably killed your fish already.

also, you should NEVER add non-iodized salt to your tank. The only salts you should use is Aquarium Salt or Epsom Salt. Neither of those will help with velvet though.

can you attach a photo so we can confirm if it is velvet or not.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #4 
MiriamandMoonlight

I can't add any photos my camera isn't working. I thought it was velvet because I once (about 2 weeks ago) shined a flashlight on him and the top of his head was covered in gold dust looking thing. And lots of people online say Aquarium salt and table salt are the same. What type of velvet medicine would you suggest if it is velvet, and if not, what could it be?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

Many bettas have a gold iridescence to them, this does not mean its velvet. attached is a photo of velvet. The photo is a reference team member's (lilnaugrim) fish. Its a good reference.

If you can only see the gold dust when you shine a light on him then it not velvet and most likely natural coloring.

Like I said, velvet would have most likely killed your fish.

Aquarium Salt is NOT table salt and table salt should not be used in its place. AQ salt is more closely related to sea salt but sea salt still cannot be used in its place.

If it were velvet you would need to cover his tank and keep is dark ALL the time since the bacteria grows in light and you would need to treat him with a copper based medicine - Like CopperSafe.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #6 
Veloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamandMoonlight View Post
And lots of people online say Aquarium salt and table salt are the same.
This may or may not be true. While both table salt and aquarium salt are both Sodium Chloride, most table salts include an anti-caking agent. And the less you know about anti-caking agents in table salt, the better you'll enjoy your food.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #7 
MiriamandMoonlight

The salt I have said that it might cake because this is natural & doesn't enclude chemical anti-caking agents.
Oh, VivianKJean,
that does not look like what my fish has. When I shine a flashlight on him,
it looks like a FINE light gold dust on the top of his head. It hasn't progressed much if at all, and still looks the same. It does not look like speckles, just a solid dusty color.
I think you are right that it is just his natural color.
It's more yellow than gold.

And what about his gill tissue sticking out? What's that?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #8 
VivianKJean

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the gill tissue. Just have him flare a bit. Sometimes the tissue doesn't fold up neatly. It's nothing to worry about.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #9 
MiriamandMoonlight

OK, great! It's nothing to worry about! I thought I might loose him due to the poor care the petstore gave him, poor boy with little/no air and stinky, ammonia-poisoned water,,, but glad it will probobly work out with my sweet boy!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #10 
MiriamandMoonlight

P.S.
If any of you know about food, please search for my most recent thread, "What feed betta" I am looking for opinions on feeding options;