Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #1 
Pumpkin

Quick question: fish-in cycle

I have a planted 35g / 130L tank which is in the process of cycling. I am most likely going to put in a female betta soon (unless for some reason someone mentions why this shouldn't be done) to perform a fish-in cycle, given that bettas produce barely any waste and since she will be in a planted 35g it should be insignificant and not really effect her (especially given people do this with bettas in 5g tanks). And of course I will also be checking parameters and doing water changes where needed.

Now, as I do plan to have guppies for this tank (4 females), I'm wondering would I be going too far in adding them in as well? I thought about it since they are small and have low bioloads as well, and again its a 35g planted. Will that be too many fish at once? Too much ammonia in a cycling tank? I only want to do this if the bioload is very small and the effect is pretty much insignificant due to such a low concentration given the water's volume.

Also I will be using seachem prime as a water conditioner.

Please let me know if you think this is safe to do, if the ammonia level will still be basically insignificant, or should I just stick to putting the betta, or even none. Thanks!
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How planted is planted? Can you show a pic of the tank? If your tank is about 50% planted or more than you can do a Silent Cycle which basically means you can add your fish now with little to no adverse effects to your fish, especially with such little bio-load as 5 fish total.

If they are fast growing plants, even better, they'll soak up your ammonia quicker than the BB will be able to which means it takes a lot longer for a tank to go through a Silent Cycle, but, it's much safer for your fish and good for your plants :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #3 
Pumpkin

I guess it is probably considered lightly planted? Not sure, what do you think:

(I plan to get more eventually, and propagating the existing plants once they grow)

Last edited by Pumpkin; 07-17-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, yeah, lightly planted but you've got some good growers in there. They'll help aid in the cycle as well, the Betta won't actually cause enough waste to hold a large BB colony. The BB will only grow to compensate for the fish you have in there, I'd go ahead and throw in the guppies as well to help out.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In a tank that large, you could easily double that bioload with no problem. You have a test kit. You have Prime. You're good to go.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #6 
Pumpkin

That's great to know, thanks guys! I will hopefully be getting them either Sunday or Monday. :D
Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #7 
Pumpkin

I was doing water changes to remove the ammonia in order to add fish, but it wasn't going down. I realised I have ammonia in my tap water (which is weird because I did tests before and there was 0 ammonia, and now there is). I'm wondering if it's still safe to do this despite using prime? The ammonia is about 0.25ppm
Old 07-19-2015, 02:44 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Tapwater parameters can change, sometimes from day to day. It's always good to check.

A reading of 0.25ppm ammonia is no big deal. Prime can handle that with ease. And, once the tank is cycled, ammonia is no worry. Prime in the refill water detoxifies ammonia released when chloramine is split into chlorine and ammonia.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:13 AM   #9 
Pumpkin

Ok, thanks again! :)