Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #1 
pensandmarkers

Fish out of water??

So I woke up this morning and found my betta on my desk completely dry! I have no idea how he got out considering that the lid was on the tank all night, and I saw him in there being normal when I went to bed, with the lid on the tank, the only hole being a small hole for the heater cord to come out, which is nowhere near where I found him.

I've heard that they can survive like two days out of water so I put him back in his tank, but it's been like three minutes and nothing.
Is there some way to go about this?
Will he be okay??
Please help.
pensandmarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #2 
hrutan

If he is dry and there is no movement, he has passed. I am so sorry. They can survive out of water only if they are still wet.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #3 
pensandmarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutan View Post
If he is dry and there is no movement, he has passed. I am so sorry. They can survive out of water only if they are still wet.
Yeah it's been like 20 minutes now, I've resigned to the fact that he's gone. I'm going to leave him in there for the rest of the day just in case some miracle occurs.

I'm just so lost as to how he got out though, like I saw him in the tank with the lid on before I went to bed, and this morning I found him out with the lid still on so it's not like I thought I put it on but actually forgot or anything, and the hole is so awkward and small I can't even imagine how he got out from there and then from there to where I found him. I just don't even know. I mean I have to pen the lid with a bloody ruler there's no way he got out the edges.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #4 
hrutan

Some bettas are escape artists. If their body can fit through the hole, they can jump out. And then flop around the surface they land on, which can make it difficult to catch the little Houdini if it's happened during a water change. >.< That's all I can think of, since there's a lid and you saw him in there before bed.

Unless you only thought you saw him in there last night? Sometimes when we're very sleepy, we see things...if you did a water change yesterday and you were moving kind of on automatic that could maybe have happened, too.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

Unfortunately if he is dry then there will be no miracle.

I would remove his body from the tank because his body will only pollute the water.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #6 
Rosebud975

I really hope a miracle occurs, but if his body is dry, chances are he has passed if so I'm really sorry. Bettas are fantastic escape artists, I really hope he lives. Are his gills moving at all?
Rosebud975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #7 
pensandmarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud975 View Post
I really hope a miracle occurs, but if his body is dry, chances are he has passed if so I'm really sorry. Bettas are fantastic escape artists, I really hope he lives. Are his gills moving at all?
It's like he jumped through the glass I think I'm more impressed/confused than upset at this point. But no, I don't think they are, I'll give him until I finish this assessment before I bury him, just in case.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #8 
MiriamandMoonlight

I'm pretty sure there is no hope...He is in betta heaven now happy as ever.
MiriamandMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #9 
Rosebud975

If his gills aren't moving, it's too late... He's in fishy heaven, may he swim in peace...
Rosebud975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #10 
kevinap2

IMO, if it has been 20 minutes and there is no gill movement, take him out and bury him- he's gone. If you want to use this tank for another fish, leaving his body in there will pollute the water (as said before) and add to the ammonia levels as the body decomposes.

Even if he were to somehow pull through, the fact he was dry means his slime coat has been badly damaged which increases the chances something will make him sick.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote