Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #1 
Sparklycharley

Exclamation Red strips on betta face!?

My betta was in my communal tank and was getting nipped he's now in his own tank with a warmer temperature and iv noticed reddy pinky lines on the side of his face 2 lines per side near his gills but not on them is this colour coming out as he's happier or something serious can't take a picture at the moment :( worried betta owner! His colouring is blue with slight red in his fins.
Sparklycharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #2 
juanitawolf

it might be normal coloration, just the gill crease, do you have any pics?

does it look like this?

Last edited by juanitawolf; 03-18-2015 at 08:10 PM.
juanitawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #3 
Sparklycharley

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanitawolf View Post
it might be normal coloration, just the gill crease, do you have any pics?

does it look like this?
Yes exactly like that! I think he is just happy know being in a warmer tank and on his own he has lots of accessories as well and I have just started feeding him betta bio-gold (colour enhancing diet) over the past 3 days so hope he's happy :) but I'm not a expert so need advice :) no photos yet but looks exactly like this picture you posted.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #4 
Kim

Do you have any fake decorations in the tank? What are the water parameters? This can be normal coloration, but I've also seen it happen when the gills are irritated by toxins in the water (I once had something leach) or poor water quality (seen in rescues).
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #5 
Sparklycharley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Do you have any fake decorations in the tank? What are the water parameters? This can be normal coloration, but I've also seen it happen when the gills are irritated by toxins in the water (I once had something leach) or poor water quality (seen in rescues).
I have a betta hammock a betta floating log and a plastic plant witch are all from the communal tank he was in previously and I havnt done the water parameters yet will be doing them tonight as my new kit just came today. his water is pristine tho do 30% water change once every week.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #6 
Sadist

Is the hammock one with the wire in it? I've read to take the wire out because it can rust and leech into the water. I hope it's just natural color!
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #7 
fleetfish

Don't think that it's bad, I have a similar VT boy with the exact same markings on his gills. He's an extremely aggressive betta, and is very healthy and happy. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about - simply his colour coming though. He is a red/blue betta, so the red could possibly be coming through now that he's in a better environment. However, do watch him in case you see anything out of the ordinary :)

Here's my boy, Riot, to compare. He's constantly flaring - the lines could also be a sort of "war paint" to ward off potential threats like other males. (Just my theory, but that's what I'm noticing with Riot)

fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #8 
Sadist

My female has them, too. I'm leaning toward thinking your guy's stripes are natural coloring, but we just wanted you to check your tank in case!
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #9 
bettagerl

My girl has them as well! I thought they were scratches but you have the same thing!
bettagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #10 
chelley

My girl has them too. I thought I read somewhere that it might be from the ammonia when they were in the cup at the store. As soon as I put her in her cycled tank they showed up (she was gray at the store) and have been there since. I just say she overdid it with makeup blush or just contoured her face wrong. Lol!
chelley is offline   Reply With Quote