Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #91 
1fish2fish

I bet if you put a betta in a 120 gallon tank by himself he would be perfectly happy, not overwhelmed. He'd establish himself a nice territory around a piece of driftwood and some plants for hiding in and wait to be fed and probably live extremely happily.

Also.. almost any girl ages 12-40 would probably love to live in a mall.

I think it was OldFishLady who told me when I first started getting on forums and learning how to properly treat bettas that "there is a difference between thriving and surviving" we as owners have to decide which we want for our fish. Do we want them to merely survive in a tiny tank, probably to die in 1-2 years if he's lucky or do we want them to thrive in 2.5 gallon tanks or larger with heaters to live happily for a normal life expectancy of 3-5 years if not more?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #92 
kirby13580

Well, thats true!!!
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #93 
SemioticSleep

I've heard of bettas being put in 10g tanks and freaking out now if you add other fish they should be fine. And when I was talking about a mall I meant one with no stores or no people. I wasn't saying that you shoul'nt put your fish in a HUGE home I was just pointing out that It cannot be too big or too small.
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #94 
MrVampire181

Yes and no. Bettas live in very small AREAS of very large rice paddies and ponds. When another male betta comes into the territory and fight each other the loser has plenty of room to escape and is left unharmed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #95 
betta fish crazy

Even if it is only an inch deep we are still talking about a whole pond/paddy/klong.
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #96 
bloo97

Good post, Lupin. (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #97 
artist4life

im so glad you posted this because people at petco thought it was funny that i got a big tank for a betta
artist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #98 
Pekemom

Interesting facts about bettas Great atticle. Thanks for posting !
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #99 
bettamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboy View Post
Hi, while your article has many truths... it is quite flawed because you failed to take several factors in to account.

Firstly, you're right - they don't live in tiny mud puddles. But that does not mean they do not live in small spaces. Bettas are SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH. So while Klongs and Paddy Fields look big, it is really not how it seems. In the wild, they become VERY territorial, and when you have BIG spawns that survive, thats a whole lot of males considering the size of those things. The result? Those who do not get killed by others, end up claiming SMALL territories - there's too many males to claim large territories.

Secondly, bettas who live in Klongs and Paddy Fields are wild. Pet Bettas are not. If you placed a pet betta in there, it would probably die. They simply are not as "street-smart" as wild bettas. Sure, bettas may be happier in a larger area, but most of them thrive in smaller homes because their instincts are set on claiming a suitable territory. To them, smaller homes are VERY suitable.

Lastly, pet bettas are adapted and used to living in smaller homes. While I agree that they should have the opportunity to experience life in a larger home... it's unlikely all bettas will get that. I've had several bettas live for YEARS in smaller homes.

To answer your question, "Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?".... No. But they do live in small territories (in the wild.) And Pet bettas are used to living in smaller homes.
I agree with you in a way it annoys me that everyone always says that in the wild bettas have HUGE ponds not little mud puddles and act like each one has OVER 10 gallons of territory that there are very few bettas and that they have like I said HUGE territories they act like they know that in the wild bettas dont have large spawns or there are a lot but only about 3 survive I mean seriously people actually think about this
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #100 
bloo97

Ah, but there is a difference between a domestic betta and a wild type.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote