Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #101 
bettamaniac

what difference does that make, so your saying something that gets about 3 gallons of territory in the wild needs about 10 in captivity just because it was bred in captivity does not mean it needs more because it looks like they have more in the wild
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #102 
Crazykat

Well, I'd say that the difference is of human making. While bettas may have small territories in the wild, they are in an open system and waste is diluted, circulated and dealt with by the whole ecosystem. So, while it's true that the betta is capable of living in a small AREA, a square foot in a rice paddy is a very different thing from a square foot in a bowl which probably doesn't have enough water changes.

Let's be realistic. The breeders and concientious but money strapped owners are usually not the ones making the arguement that they can put their bettas in vases; 9 times out of 10, it's going to be someone who wants a pretty fish as a decorative piece on their desk OR someone who wants to sell said pretty fish for decorative desk pieces. And that is the problem with perpetuating this story that bettas live in puddles. It makes it morally okay to do this to these fish because "this is how they live in the wild". Just my two cents
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #103 
bettamaniac

I guess your right about that but I think a betta can easily live and be happy in a one gallon aquarium if kept at the right temperature and cleaned enough
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #104 
Thunderloon

when I was in school

Back when I was in school there was a black and white filmstrip about farm life in Vietnam. I think it pre-dated the war as it was not only black and white but the people weren't smoking and WERE smiling.

Family working a rice paddy that is being plowed before planting and the Ox is churning up a lot of water. There are HUNDREDS of fish leaping up out of the water shining in the sun in the short strip and I'll give you one guess as to what their species was.

Betta CAN live in nasty stagnant water, they can appear to be doing fine in water that will kill tetra and goldfish in minutes and humans can wear stinking worn clothes, live in torn layered boxes and survive quite well for maybe five to ten years eating nothing but garbage... that doesn't mean either are happy.

Do a little test if you're not terrified of hurting your fish. Slap the table your tank is on; if your betta hit the other side of the tank in a panic, chances are your tank is too small.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #105 
SweetPoison

Now I want to go and rescue all those Betas in tiny torture bowls. I always did think that was wrong ~ Now I'm tellin them so.
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #106 
crownbettavt

I keep mine in a one gallon and he is fine...no heat no filter twice weekly changes feed pellets and bloodworms daily...he is in a crown royal gallon handle...people suggest heaters but I think it not need as long as your room temp is like 75
crownbettavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #107 
MelKurtonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
You could raise a child in a closet by simply providing food and water ,,but It is doubtful that the child would thrive. They could survive and that's it.
Of the literally thousands of posts,involving sick bettas that I have seen on the internet,, I cannot recall ONE where betta that was kept in filtered,heated tank of ten gal or more ,ever reported a problem with the health of their fish.Always find it troubling, that those who profess to love their fish,,insist on keeping them in enviornments unsuitable for their longterm health. One need not look very hard to see the validity of that statement. I sometimes wish that bettas were ten to twenty dollars a piece. Perhaps then ,,people would be willing to care for them in a manner that ALL fish deserve.Bettas could care less whether or not you love them. All they want,,is ...proper food,proper enviornment, and clean water.
the betta we bought were pretty expensive... my husband spent 15$ on his betta then 30$ on the set up... mine was slightly less because he's a vt but other than that we've had no problems with them in a 1 gallon but I do plan on putting them both in my 5 gallon with a divider and a less powerful filter when I get my 20 gal for my goldies it'll take me a few months but it's the best I can do for now
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #108 
Silverfang

I went to the pet shop today, after having consulted with "experts" or at least folks who have lots of betas, lots of experience, even some who breed them, and bought a 2.65 gal container. The teenage girl I went to ask about the kit (since it had nothing written about contents on it) and she said you don't want something that size! it will freak the fish out. She went on about the rice paddies, I just nodded and bought it anyways. I don't know about stressing him, but he's wiggling around and darting about checking out all corners of his new home.

Makes me so glad I found this site.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #109 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettamaniac View Post
I guess your right about that but I think a betta can easily live and be happy in a one gallon aquarium if kept at the right temperature and cleaned enough
I am sure they can but the first time my male was introduced to his 5 gallon from the petco cup, boy he swam and swam and swam all over kinda like he is doing now as I am watching him. In his cup or 1 gallon bowl he has no choice but to kind of "chill". Nothing wrong with this of course but as a fishkeeper I want to give my fish freedom to roam around and act like a fish, not sit stationary like a statue.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #110 
sassybritt2000

i dont know
sassybritt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote