Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #151 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical Fish Guy View Post
So maintaining a tank; ideal PH can be argued as unnatural. As PH would be daily affected. Temp might remain stable. It all depends, did a bear decide to poop in the Forrest that day or not?--However none of this has to do with size requirements!!! Just so called 'natural filtration', on any given day.
Since most people don't strive for an ideal pH in their tanks for pet bettas due to their high adaptability, I'm not sure that's relevant.

Water quality is (in a tank) inherently linked to tank size. That is the point I am making (since, unlike in nature, there is no natural filtration/low pH to counterbalance a small water body). In a small tank size, ammonia will inevitably reach higher levels more quickly because there is less water for it to be diluted in. Therefore, bigger tank = better water quality. This is why it is not a good idea for sellers to promote small tanks as perfect home for bettas, because they do not advocate the necessary water changes that must go along with such a small environment. This is the point I am trying to make.

+100000 to LBF.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #152 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Most animals don't make it to an old age in the wild.. many babies die... I think 6 years is old for a wolf, but I don't want to just give up on my dogs after they reach 6 years, I want them to live as long and as happy as possible :D
Just like my fish. It's a domestic animal in YOUR care and YOUR responsibility, and you should try and give your pets the best.

Nature is really odd, and it is common for many animals to die off, for example a disease can wipe out a huge population, leaving some toughies.. But nature will always restore itself in some way, or another.
There is much more to any wild ecosystem than our common aquarium BB. It is impossible to replicate a perfect ecosystem in a fish tank. Even experienced people like OFL say that their low maintenance tanks are not complete ecosystems.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #153 
Cynical Fish Guy

Actually, because that is what I knew at the time. As I learned more, and earned more, the fish also prospered. My fish now lives in a 15 gallon long tank with a community of other peaceful fishes. The fish's/betta's favorite tank was/is the 1 gallon tank. However I have taken the 1 gallon tank out of commission because it is easier to upkeep the 15 gallon.

I personalized the betta when he was in the Hexagon pint. He did fine. He is doing fine too!
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #154 
Bombalurina

None of us are trying to argue that a fish isn't going to survive in a pint tank. We are arguing that it won't thrive - and the main point of the thread is to prove that small tanks are not justifiable by the "bettas live in mud puddles" excuse, not that small tanks aren't jusitifiable point blank. A gallon tank can provide a decent home with proper water changes, a heater and cover. To quote the OP:

"I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all."

To quote your original point:

"So in a since, Wild Bettas, do live in a teeny tiny area. The Bettas YOU BUY at the store have been conditioned in many cases to living in small environments and they are far from wild!!!!"

This is the point of this thread. The point you made there is invalid, because conditions in a tank are not the same as in the wild. Area is not a consideration by itself - it is inextricably linked with things like temperature stability and water quality. That is why saying that a betta lives in a tiny space in the wild is not a justifiable argument for keeping them in a tiny space domestically.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #155 
Ramble

My vt was in a tiny cup for six weeks when I finally bought him, and when I put him in a long, narrow aquarium, he became active and curious, checking out all his surroundings. I was going to split the tank to share with my other betta but he's having so much fun (and making huge bubble nests!) that I don't have the heart. I'll just get a bigger tank for my other fish. And since moving into the big tank, my VT's fins have grown about 30% ... Very impressive!
My fish didn't get to pick which home he lives in, so I need to give him the most comfortable environment I can so that he has room to swim and stay curious.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #156 
ootfifawithbubba

my betta lives in a (around this much were not sure) 2 gall tank with a plant a sleep leaf and his old cup in the water as a cave , hes got a bubble maker and no rocks or sand for bottom , is this okay , were kinda poor so hes not the most spoild fish
ootfifawithbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #157 
Bombalurina

A two gallon is fine. :) As long as he has a heater to keep the water between 78 and 82F, two water changes per week (1x50%, 1x100%) and a place to hide, that's enough. :)
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #158 
JennybugJennifer

Thank YOUU
I was told the same thing!!!
"here get this 1/2 g and go home and he will be just perfect"
JennybugJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #159 
cjz96

I agree about a 2 gallon and up tank. However, before I knew anything about bettas, I had one in a half gallon tank. He lived for nine and a half years. Happily, I must add. He ate, blew bubbles, puffed up, swam around happily, etc. I guess it depends on the fish?
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #160 
NoochaCarrashua

good to know
NoochaCarrashua is offline   Reply With Quote