Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #161 
Pilot00

My father brought me a betta about a month ago. I have him all by himself in a 36 gallon tank with adequate decoration and a couple of live plants and moss. He seems to derive enjoyment from laying on the moss and he sleeps inside the plant leaves.

What i discovered is that those fish have personality. They have their own habits and preferences and they seem to recognize both owners and people who spend time with them. I had fish for 20 years and i can certainly say that their behavior is not based on weather you feed them or not. They establish favorites.

I am appalled at the notion that they keep any kind of living organism in pots and those who say that they do alright... Well try to lock yourself in the bathroom and have a person give you pizza and water every 10 hours. I want to know how would you feel after a week.

The fact that they can be found in small pudles doesnt mean that they thrive on them. And those who still believe its ok do keep em in cups take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSRMqmPbAA
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #162 
JadeAngel

I hear a lot of pet store employees tell people, when asked about what kind of tank to get a betta, that they live in puddles in the wild.

The best way I have found to make people understand this is by telling them...

"There is a difference between surviving, and thriving... there are millions of people living in tiny one room shacks throughout the world... does that mean that because it is takes up less space, we should set you up in a 1 room shack and expect you to be happy with it?"

No one's argued that point so far XD
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #163 
sushitucker

thats just wierd. i mean how could a betta live in a puddle!
sushitucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #164 
MadameDesu

That and they don't live in puddles. They live in rice paddies, which, yes, are shallow. But they stretch out for miles and miles and miles. That's a LOT of space.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #165 
Myates

Many bettas are actually found in puddles.. there have been many cases of them in puddles that were formed from the hooves of cattle.
Water will recede in their natural habitat, and when that happens bettas will bury themselves in the mud to wait out the dry times.. once water comes back they will come out. Sometimes it will only be a small puddle when the betta feels the water trickle down to them and when they emerge it's a small puddle.
I figure that is why it is common to hear of them living in puddles, as they do, but not permanently.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #166 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Betta fish carter he is a male chocolate delta tail from petco live sin a 10 gallon all to himself I feed him freeze dried brine shrimp Flightless Fruit flies and Betta pellets.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #167 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

His tank is filled with plants and one of those floating Betta logs he loves it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #168 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The reason so many are found in puddles is seasonal changes making small areas the dry season is when the most bettas die.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #169 
ysa4912

No that's not what thy meant. What they meant to say was the bettas live in rice paddies not in mud puddles that animals and etc. dig no of course not even an 8 year old can tell that don't be foolish now if an animal made a puddle how can the fish go there? Of course you can't answer that because there's no possible way. So be smart and understand what they meant before you complain.
ysa4912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #170 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've never thought about it that way...
Next time someone says they live in puddles, I'll ask: how on earth do they get into puddles?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote