Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #11 
teh13371
New Member
 
teh13371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: n.e. usa
lol what about your tank "lucky in mines name"? give some details to your tank, dont just say "oh yay, not too big or too small?"
teh13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #12 
Cashay
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Re: Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
Okay, folks, after a research breakthrough and reminiscing of memories on how I often see people suggest to use vases and bowls for bettas considering "they live in tiny mud puddles", I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all. I've read plenty of books and discovered there is a lot more than what you see on a betta. It has always been a misconception that bettas live in mud puddles. Everytime I see people saying this, I keep thinking to myself "Is this possible?" Even the mud puddles dug by animal hooves would be quite horrible for a betta. What were those labyrinths for?

Before I go further, please note there are several betta species more than you can think of distributed around Asia, however, the human developments have seriously depleted their habitats with some species already lost and feared extinct.

While roaming around on forums for possible summaries, I discovered this paragraph (I don't own a lot of books however I do spend plenty of time in bookstores but I cannot copy every important bit without purchasing the said books which are expensive.)

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

A very important advice...
The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

So the questions now are..
What exactly is a klong?
A picture is worth a hundred words.
Klong of Thailand


What paddy field are we talking anyway?
Is this really a mud puddle? Is it really small?


What is your conclusion on the whole?
Going to back to the above, I've shared to you my thoughts. Now to answer the question, What were those labyrinths for?, this doesn't mean all anabantids can live in mud puddles as previously suggested by several people but this means it allows them to survive in warm, shallow, slow moving waters with very low oxygen levels.

So like other fish, we should treat the bettas with great care. Efficient filter, heater, etc just like what other tropical fish deserve.

~End of lecture.~

I will sticky this so people won't have a difficult time searching for answers like this.

This site provides excellent information as well.
http://betta.tasarin.net/aquarium.php
An important thing to know when housing a Betta Splendens is that most metals are lethal, and never should metal decorations be used unless they are marked for this purpose. Copper is especially dangerous. Nonetheless, to keep an individual B. splendens, a minimum tank size of 3 U.S. gallons at least is recommended, if it will be kept in a warm room. Decorations can provide hiding places, especially important when two males are housed in a divided tank, or when the betta is living in a community tank. Every decoration must be free of rough areas or sharp points which can damage the delicate fins of the betta. For this reason, silk rather than plastic plants are recommended. Live plants will improve the water quality. Also, since the betta obtains oxygen from the air, the tank must not be covered with an air-tight lid and the betta must be able to easily reach the surface. (Note that some bettas enjoy leaping out of tanks, so a breathable lid is highly recommended.) If the betta has no access to air, it will suffocate.

In Canada and the United States, the Betta is sometimes sold in a vase with a plant, with the erroneous claim that the fish can feed on the roots of the plant and that it can survive without changing the water. This is dangerous for the betta in two ways. First, the betta has a labyrinth organ which allows it to take in oxygen from the surface air, similar to the human lung. If the betta can not reach the surface of the water, which can be the case if a plant's roots are covering the surface, the betta will suffocate in a matter of hours. Secondly, Betta species are carnivorous and an appropriate food must be provided, such as dry "betta pellets" or live or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. However, most aquarium-bred specimens will accept dried flaked food suitable for tropical fish. When kept in a small container such as a vase, the fish need frequent water changes, and the container must be kept in a warm room. A larger tank with a heater will provide better living conditions. Wherever the fish is kept, water must be treated with an appropriate water conditioner before use.

There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their well being, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank. I, personally, keep my Betta in a tank holding 2 gallons of water and it is perfectly happy and healthy.


Other good links:
http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/pontian.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/fiel...itam_last1.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Thailand2.htm
Well at least I read you keep your's (Betta) in a two gallon, Most people on this site want to critisize you for anything smaller then 5 gallon for one Betta, To me that is rediculious
Cashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #13 
bettaboy
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Re: Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
Okay, folks, after a research breakthrough and reminiscing of memories on how I often see people suggest to use vases and bowls for bettas considering "they live in tiny mud puddles", I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all. I've read plenty of books and discovered there is a lot more than what you see on a betta. It has always been a misconception that bettas live in mud puddles. Everytime I see people saying this, I keep thinking to myself "Is this possible?" Even the mud puddles dug by animal hooves would be quite horrible for a betta. What were those labyrinths for?

Before I go further, please note there are several betta species more than you can think of distributed around Asia, however, the human developments have seriously depleted their habitats with some species already lost and feared extinct.

While roaming around on forums for possible summaries, I discovered this paragraph (I don't own a lot of books however I do spend plenty of time in bookstores but I cannot copy every important bit without purchasing the said books which are expensive.)

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

A very important advice...
The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

So the questions now are..
What exactly is a klong?
A picture is worth a hundred words.
Klong of Thailand


What paddy field are we talking anyway?
Is this really a mud puddle? Is it really small?


What is your conclusion on the whole?
Going to back to the above, I've shared to you my thoughts. Now to answer the question, What were those labyrinths for?, this doesn't mean all anabantids can live in mud puddles as previously suggested by several people but this means it allows them to survive in warm, shallow, slow moving waters with very low oxygen levels.

So like other fish, we should treat the bettas with great care. Efficient filter, heater, etc just like what other tropical fish deserve.

~End of lecture.~

I will sticky this so people won't have a difficult time searching for answers like this.

This site provides excellent information as well.
http://betta.tasarin.net/aquarium.php
An important thing to know when housing a Betta Splendens is that most metals are lethal, and never should metal decorations be used unless they are marked for this purpose. Copper is especially dangerous. Nonetheless, to keep an individual B. splendens, a minimum tank size of 3 U.S. gallons at least is recommended, if it will be kept in a warm room. Decorations can provide hiding places, especially important when two males are housed in a divided tank, or when the betta is living in a community tank. Every decoration must be free of rough areas or sharp points which can damage the delicate fins of the betta. For this reason, silk rather than plastic plants are recommended. Live plants will improve the water quality. Also, since the betta obtains oxygen from the air, the tank must not be covered with an air-tight lid and the betta must be able to easily reach the surface. (Note that some bettas enjoy leaping out of tanks, so a breathable lid is highly recommended.) If the betta has no access to air, it will suffocate.

In Canada and the United States, the Betta is sometimes sold in a vase with a plant, with the erroneous claim that the fish can feed on the roots of the plant and that it can survive without changing the water. This is dangerous for the betta in two ways. First, the betta has a labyrinth organ which allows it to take in oxygen from the surface air, similar to the human lung. If the betta can not reach the surface of the water, which can be the case if a plant's roots are covering the surface, the betta will suffocate in a matter of hours. Secondly, Betta species are carnivorous and an appropriate food must be provided, such as dry "betta pellets" or live or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. However, most aquarium-bred specimens will accept dried flaked food suitable for tropical fish. When kept in a small container such as a vase, the fish need frequent water changes, and the container must be kept in a warm room. A larger tank with a heater will provide better living conditions. Wherever the fish is kept, water must be treated with an appropriate water conditioner before use.

There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their well being, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank. I, personally, keep my Betta in a tank holding 2 gallons of water and it is perfectly happy and healthy.


Other good links:
http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/pontian.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/fiel...itam_last1.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Thailand2.htm
Hi, while your article has many truths... it is quite flawed because you failed to take several factors in to account.

Firstly, you're right - they don't live in tiny mud puddles. But that does not mean they do not live in small spaces. Bettas are SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH. So while Klongs and Paddy Fields look big, it is really not how it seems. In the wild, they become VERY territorial, and when you have BIG spawns that survive, thats a whole lot of males considering the size of those things. The result? Those who do not get killed by others, end up claiming SMALL territories - there's too many males to claim large territories.

Secondly, bettas who live in Klongs and Paddy Fields are wild. Pet Bettas are not. If you placed a pet betta in there, it would probably die. They simply are not as "street-smart" as wild bettas. Sure, bettas may be happier in a larger area, but most of them thrive in smaller homes because their instincts are set on claiming a suitable territory. To them, smaller homes are VERY suitable.

Lastly, pet bettas are adapted and used to living in smaller homes. While I agree that they should have the opportunity to experience life in a larger home... it's unlikely all bettas will get that. I've had several bettas live for YEARS in smaller homes.

To answer your question, "Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?".... No. But they do live in small territories (in the wild.) And Pet bettas are used to living in smaller homes.
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #14 
Lupin
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" pu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboy
Firstly, you're right - they don't live in tiny mud puddles. But that does not mean they do not live in small spaces. Bettas are SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH. So while Klongs and Paddy Fields look big, it is really not how it seems. In the wild, they become VERY territorial, and when you have BIG spawns that survive, thats a whole lot of males considering the size of those things. The result? Those who do not get killed by others, end up claiming SMALL territories - there's too many males to claim large territories.
The point is people make the wrong impression that bettas are okay in small containers, even less than a gallon at that hence the purpose of this thread. Do you know how a fish feels when conditions are changing extremely when a person neglects his tank? No one is suggesting that you can put several males in one tank and make them even spawn when it is quite obvious that aquaria are an enclosed ecosystem in comparison to klongs and paddy fields.

Quote:
Secondly, bettas who live in Klongs and Paddy Fields are wild. Pet Bettas are not. If you placed a pet betta in there, it would probably die. They simply are not as "street-smart" as wild bettas. Sure, bettas may be happier in a larger area, but most of them thrive in smaller homes because their instincts are set on claiming a suitable territory. To them, smaller homes are VERY suitable.

Lastly, pet bettas are adapted and used to living in smaller homes. While I agree that they should have the opportunity to experience life in a larger home... it's unlikely all bettas will get that. I've had several bettas live for YEARS in smaller homes.
We already know the difference between wild-caught and domestically bred specimens. No one is suggesting to place domestically bred bettas in the wild. That is a despicable act and against the law. There are consequences for this and we will not encourage it.

Bettaboy, surely you should know by now a lot of people make the wrong impression with bettas hence we will not suggest anything smaller than 2.5 gallons. Do you see my point? Bettas are "bullet-proof" as people perceive it but they are not. They need to be treated like other fish, not as a fish marked for torture in extreme conditions due to ignorance on the part of the owner.


Quote:
To answer your question, "Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?".... No. But they do live in small territories (in the wild.) And Pet bettas are used to living in smaller homes.
I can agree with that provided the owner who is keeping bettas does not neglect his responsibilities nor will he attempt plastic cups which is a far stretch from 2.5 gallons tank where bettas are much better off than the stupid myth they live in tiny puddles as small as the cattle's footprint.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #15 
bettaboy
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
I agree bettas should be kept in at least 2.5 gallons, but you see - if no one used cups for bettas we wouldn't have bettas for pets. It would be to hard to breed and raise a spawn to adulthood if each betta had to have its own 2.5 gallon spot. So, be thankful that their are cups for bettas, otherwise you would've had to pay a fortune for yours... or you wouldn't have one
bettaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #16 
lcswoosh05
New Member
 
lcswoosh05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboy
I agree bettas should be kept in at least 2.5 gallons, but you see - if no one used cups for bettas we wouldn't have bettas for pets. It would be to hard to breed and raise a spawn to adulthood if each betta had to have its own 2.5 gallon spot. So, be thankful that their are cups for bettas, otherwise you would've had to pay a fortune for yours... or you wouldn't have one
That's very true about it's good that they have Bettas in cups since the biggest reason why I got my Betta is since I thought it was able to even live in small areas like a cup or small bowl when I buy them at Pet Stores. When I saw them in cups I though they must be easy to take care and can live in any size bowls but it seems like you guys say that it's best to have a bigger tank for them. I guess Bettas can live in small bowls like mine but if you want the best then get a bigger tank. But I' am assuming that Bettas are easier to take care compaired to normal fish since I talked to some people and they say that they had a Betta fish for 3 or 6 years in a bowl like mine without the filter and other things and it didn't die and made alot of bubble nests. But I looks like for the best best and if you have alot of money then you should get a bigger tank and heater etc. One laddy said that she didn't even have a heater and it lived for 3 years so I guess that that means where ever she had that Betta it didn't get that cold as my room did since my room is downstairs so around winter time it kinda gets cold so I think I will need a heater at least so when winter comes again I can use that to keep the water warm so my Betta fish won't just sit still on the bottom of the bowl like last time again.
lcswoosh05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #17 
lcswoosh05
New Member
 
lcswoosh05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Omaha, NE USA
But I guess I could ask this but is there a heater that I can use for the bowl I have? I talked to the pet store and they said you need a actual tank to use the heaters but I was wondering if there is anyway I can use the heater for my bowl when it gets cold again.
lcswoosh05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #18 
iamntbatman
Member
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
How big is your bowl? The pet store might actually be correct this time. A lot of the smaller heaters don't have a thermostat or any sort of adjustability. They simply turn on and heat the water. If you have less water, it'll heat it too much. I bought a small heater supposedly designed for 2-5 gallon aquaria for my 2.5 gallon betta tank, and it heated the water to over 86 degrees, even with no lights on. You might be able to heat your bowl to a more appropriate temperature by just using a desk lamp as a light/heat source. The only problem with doing this is that your water will cool off substantially at night. There really isn't any good way of avoiding this problem with small bowls. Just one of the reasons it's better to get a larger aquarium with a heater that can keep it at a constant temperature.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 AM   #19 
Lupin
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboy
I agree bettas should be kept in at least 2.5 gallons, but you see - if no one used cups for bettas we wouldn't have bettas for pets. It would be to hard to breed and raise a spawn to adulthood if each betta had to have its own 2.5 gallon spot. So, be thankful that their are cups for bettas, otherwise you would've had to pay a fortune for yours... or you wouldn't have one
The problem with cups is this gives the impression beginners can put them wherever else they want as long as they think bettas are supposedly "bullet-proof". I will agree if-and only if- the petstores at least explain their reasons instead of telling the customers that bettas are indeed "bullet-proof" and that you should use the trash "betta water" and other chemicals other than the dechlorinator itself.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #20 
Kim
Member
 
Kim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
In reply to a previous post that stated that we should be glad that there are betta cups otherwise we would have had to pay a fortune for our pet bettas, I have a few things to say. I got a betta a few months ago from a pet store who was in one of those cups. I think that I would have saved a lot of time and effort if this was not so. The money that I spent on various medications to treat ick, and fin rot (not to mention shipping) was probably far greater than it would have been to buy a betta that had been kept in better conditions. In the end I was not even able to save him, even with the best care. I now have another betta, who I also had to treat for fin rot, who is now happy and healthy. I think that we really have to question our thinking in this matter if we are able to justify the huge percentages of fish that die from these conditions with a low cost. I would never spend a fortune on a fish, but in this case, I think that a little extra money is well spent.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Isabella Issy" and "Sparkles Red Captain Hook" Elena Betta Pictures 27 06-18-2011 12:11 AM
wanted "cheap wild type bettas" in fresno lolz Betta Fish Care 0 10-14-2009 12:06 PM
wanted "cheap wild type bettas" in fresno lolz Betta Pictures 0 10-14-2009 12:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.