Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #191 
VictorP

+1 Sivan
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #192 
Sivan

Thank you, Victor. I make it my mission to correct misconceptions about betta fish, even if those misconceptions are with the good intentions of improving betta life. In order to end improper care, proper knowledge is needed and to truly understand the species it is critical to know the reasons behind the ideas.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #193 
Sena Hansler

For instance, although 1 gallons "are not ideal" I know many awesome people who use them, on this site even, and they are bullied into staying quiet and NEVER asking for help because they are afraid of people lashing, arguing, ranting etc at them. Help, not hinder :)

Also another reason two males cannot be together... Bred by mankind to fight and kill, domesticated bettas also lack the room to flee, and since the "land" is really glass or acrylic there is no absorbtion of smells, or toxins. In the wild they live in the same body of water...sure... But think of the massive difference in size of environment, mother nature VS artificial, and in the wild... nature cares for them. We have to be that surrogate "mother nature" to them, in captivity. Another reason it is crucial to care for bettas appropriately without ever uttering "but in the wild..."

edit: reading back... ChoclateBetta though I respect you as a person, and your opinions as such... I disagree here. I had a 7 year old betta in a bowl. Cleaned his bowl twice a week because I found it got too dirty otherwise. That was my first ever betta. Some of my bettas in 3-20 gallons died young, died old, died sick (usually severe rescues), died healthy. There erally is no pin-point to how long a betta lives in comparison to the size of tank... However the care that is behind that said tank is what really matters. I find 1 gallon+ best, because anything smaller literally needs 3-7 cleanings a week...and who ever does that?!

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 10-17-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #194 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

1 gallons too small check my sig for link and Carter and Betty are 2 and 1 healthy active.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #195 
VictorP

It's not too small. I don't mean to be rude but when will you get that through your stubborn head chocolate? Just respect others decisions for housing.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #196 
Sivan

Chocolate, your signature does not hold anything of scienfitic value or proof or suggestion. Your signature merely states the number and type of fish you have, as well as "Bowls are soup not fish!" That is an opinion without reason behind it. I do agree that fish should be kept in as large a volume with as large surface space available. However, that does not mean that people who house their fish in a volume of 1 gallon are abusing their fish.

Animal neglect, as defined by the ASPCA, requires an owner of an animal to habitually deny the basic needs of life to an animal in a way that diminishes the quality of life and harms health. As I explained in my previous post, with questions you chose to ignore, the basic needs of betta fish are covered in a 1 gallon in a way that most people (i.e. no breeders) can manage with reasonable amounts care. Unless you can prove otherwise, you are forcing your opinion on others and CONTRIBUTING to the misconception of these creatures.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #197 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
1 gallons too small check my sig for link and Carter and Betty are 2 and 1 healthy active.
actually, its not too small, i agree fully with what sena was saying

Sivan, WELL PUT! WELL PUT, my friend :D
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #198 
Sivan

Thanks for the compliments guys but I do not want it to seem as though we are putting Chocolate down. She has her opinions that are based in love and care but it would be beneficial if she would acknowledge that there is a scientific perspective.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #199 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Accordiong o the admin it is and I am not a she. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #200 
Sivan

Sorry, Chocolate. I thought we had a conversation and you said you were a girl. My bad. While that may be what the Admin suggests, aside from the fact that the admin says 2.5 gallons, there is not evidence as to why. 2.5 gallons is generally a better size if a person has to do a smaller volume tank because it is easier to find heaters and maintain water changes for it in comparison to a 1 gallon.

However, as I showed you, a 1 gallon can be safely maintained and cover the basic needs of the fish but like all smallest and minimum standards, it is harder to deal with. It is not impossible for a non-breeder to handle and thus a plausible permanent housing option.