Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?

224K views 144 replies 90 participants last post by  mjfa 
#1 ·
Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddle

Okay, folks, after a research breakthrough and reminiscing of memories on how I often see people suggest to use vases and bowls for bettas considering "they live in tiny mud puddles", I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all. I've read plenty of books and discovered there is a lot more than what you see on a betta. It has always been a misconception that bettas live in mud puddles. Everytime I see people saying this, I keep thinking to myself "Is this possible?" Even the mud puddles dug by animal hooves would be quite horrible for a betta.:shake: What were those labyrinths for?

Before I go further, please note there are several betta species more than you can think of distributed around Asia, however, the human developments have seriously depleted their habitats with some species already lost and feared extinct.

While roaming around on forums for possible summaries, I discovered this paragraph (I don't own a lot of books however I do spend plenty of time in bookstores but I cannot copy every important bit without purchasing the said books which are expensive.)

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

A very important advice...
The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

So the questions now are..
What exactly is a klong?
A picture is worth a hundred words.
Klong of Thailand

What paddy field are we talking anyway?
Is this really a mud puddle? Is it really small?

What is your conclusion on the whole?
Going to back to the above, I've shared to you my thoughts. Now to answer the question, What were those labyrinths for?, this doesn't mean all anabantids can live in mud puddles as previously suggested by several people but this means it allows them to survive in warm, shallow, slow moving waters with very low oxygen levels.

So like other fish, we should treat the bettas with great care. Efficient filter, heater, etc just like what other tropical fish deserve.

~End of lecture.~

I will sticky this so people won't have a difficult time searching for answers like this.

This site provides excellent information as well.
http://betta.tasarin.net/aquarium.php
An important thing to know when housing a Betta Splendens is that most metals are lethal, and never should metal decorations be used unless they are marked for this purpose. Copper is especially dangerous. Nonetheless, to keep an individual B. splendens, a minimum tank size of 3 U.S. gallons at least is recommended, if it will be kept in a warm room. Decorations can provide hiding places, especially important when two males are housed in a divided tank, or when the betta is living in a community tank. Every decoration must be free of rough areas or sharp points which can damage the delicate fins of the betta. For this reason, silk rather than plastic plants are recommended. Live plants will improve the water quality. Also, since the betta obtains oxygen from the air, the tank must not be covered with an air-tight lid and the betta must be able to easily reach the surface. (Note that some bettas enjoy leaping out of tanks, so a breathable lid is highly recommended.) If the betta has no access to air, it will suffocate.

In Canada and the United States, the Betta is sometimes sold in a vase with a plant, with the erroneous claim that the fish can feed on the roots of the plant and that it can survive without changing the water. This is dangerous for the betta in two ways. First, the betta has a labyrinth organ which allows it to take in oxygen from the surface air, similar to the human lung. If the betta can not reach the surface of the water, which can be the case if a plant's roots are covering the surface, the betta will suffocate in a matter of hours. Secondly, Betta species are carnivorous and an appropriate food must be provided, such as dry "betta pellets" or live or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. However, most aquarium-bred specimens will accept dried flaked food suitable for tropical fish. When kept in a small container such as a vase, the fish need frequent water changes, and the container must be kept in a warm room. A larger tank with a heater will provide better living conditions. Wherever the fish is kept, water must be treated with an appropriate water conditioner before use.

There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their well being, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank. I, personally, keep my Betta in a tank holding 2 gallons of water and it is perfectly happy and healthy.

Other good links:
http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/pontian.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Ayer_Hitam_last1.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Thailand2.htm

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, thanks for posting this and making it a Sticky.
That was somewhat of a shock when I saw that big klong! I wish there was a such thing as a Worldwide Sticky...so that everybody would realize that bettas aren't supposed to be stuck in tiny cups and suchlike.

#15 ·
20+ gallon huh?

Dominus patrus bla bla bla, I give you my blessing :p

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Re: Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" pu

Lupin said:
Okay, folks, after a research breakthrough and reminiscing of memories on how I often see people suggest to use vases and bowls for bettas considering "they live in tiny mud puddles", I decided to crash this myth in an effort to put a stop on what we call betta abuse simply by placing them in a container with no heater, no filter, etc at all. I've read plenty of books and discovered there is a lot more than what you see on a betta. It has always been a misconception that bettas live in mud puddles. Everytime I see people saying this, I keep thinking to myself "Is this possible?" Even the mud puddles dug by animal hooves would be quite horrible for a betta.:shake: What were those labyrinths for?

Before I go further, please note there are several betta species more than you can think of distributed around Asia, however, the human developments have seriously depleted their habitats with some species already lost and feared extinct.

While roaming around on forums for possible summaries, I discovered this paragraph (I don't own a lot of books however I do spend plenty of time in bookstores but I cannot copy every important bit without purchasing the said books which are expensive.)

Information is taken from Labyrinth Fish: The Bubble Nest Builders written by Horst Link and published by Tetra in 1991.

"In my opinion, the natural distribution range is very much smaller than had been supposed until now and is, in fact, restricted to central, western, and northern Thailand...Betta splendens lives in paddy fields and associated ditches, in marshes and flooded grass pits and in the klongs (canals) of the residential parts of towns and villages. At different times of the year, they may be very numerous."

The view that fighting fish often live in mudholes and therefore can be kept in such conditions is not really tenable. The fish will exhibit their full finery in a well-established, balanced aquarium and it is only under such conditions that their keeper will be able to appreciate their beauty at its best

What exactly is a klong?
Klong of Thailand

Going to back to the above, I've shared to you my thoughts. Now to answer the question, What were those labyrinths for?, this doesn't mean all anabantids can live in mud puddles as previously suggested by several people but this means it allows them to survive in warm, shallow, slow moving waters with very low oxygen levels.

So like other fish, we should treat the bettas with great care. Efficient filter, heater, etc just like what other tropical fish deserve.

~End of lecture.~

I will sticky this so people won't have a difficult time searching for answers like this.

An important thing to know when housing a Betta Splendens is that most metals are lethal, and never should metal decorations be used unless they are marked for this purpose. Copper is especially dangerous. Nonetheless, to keep an individual B. splendens, a minimum tank size of 3 U.S. gallons at least is recommended, if it will be kept in a warm room. Decorations can provide hiding places, especially important when two males are housed in a divided tank, or when the betta is living in a community tank. Every decoration must be free of rough areas or sharp points which can damage the delicate fins of the betta. For this reason, silk rather than plastic plants are recommended. Live plants will improve the water quality. Also, since the betta obtains oxygen from the air, the tank must not be covered with an air-tight lid and the betta must be able to easily reach the surface. (Note that some bettas enjoy leaping out of tanks, so a breathable lid is highly recommended.) If the betta has no access to air, it will suffocate.

In Canada and the United States, the Betta is sometimes sold in a vase with a plant, with the erroneous claim that the fish can feed on the roots of the plant and that it can survive without changing the water. This is dangerous for the betta in two ways. First, the betta has a labyrinth organ which allows it to take in oxygen from the surface air, similar to the human lung. If the betta can not reach the surface of the water, which can be the case if a plant's roots are covering the surface, the betta will suffocate in a matter of hours. Secondly, Betta species are carnivorous and an appropriate food must be provided, such as dry "betta pellets" or live or frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. However, most aquarium-bred specimens will accept dried flaked food suitable for tropical fish. When kept in a small container such as a vase, the fish need frequent water changes, and the container must be kept in a warm room. A larger tank with a heater will provide better living conditions. Wherever the fish is kept, water must be treated with an appropriate water conditioner before use.

There is a stereotype that in the wild, bettas live in tiny muddy pools, and therefore that it is acceptable to keep them in small tanks, but bowls are usually too small. In reality, bettas live in vast paddies, the puddle myth originating from the fact that during the dry season, the paddies can dry out into small patches of water. It is not a natural state of affairs by any means, and in the wild, fish trapped in such puddles are likely to die in a short period of time when they dry out.

To maximize the lifespan of the fish and ensure their well being, they should always be kept in appropriate sized tanks. As a rule of thumb, for each inch of fish there must be at least one gallon of water in its tank. Bettas idealy should be kept in a filtered tank 10 gallons or more and treated like any other freshwater tank fish. Although these conditions are ideal, with proper care and filtration a betta can be happily kept in a smaller tank. I, personally, keep my Betta in a tank holding 2 gallons of water and it is perfectly happy and healthy.

Other good links:

Well at least I read you keep your's (Betta) in a two gallon, Most people on this site want to critisize you for anything smaller then 5 gallon for one Betta, To me that is rediculious

#7 ·
Re: Mythbuster: Do bettas really live in "tiny" pu

Lupin said:

What exactly is a klong?
Klong of Thailand

~End of lecture.~

Other good links:

Hi, while your article has many truths... it is quite flawed because you failed to take several factors in to account.

Firstly, you're right - they don't live in tiny mud puddles. But that does not mean they do not live in small spaces. Bettas are SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH. So while Klongs and Paddy Fields look big, it is really not how it seems. In the wild, they become VERY territorial, and when you have BIG spawns that survive, thats a whole lot of males considering the size of those things. The result? Those who do not get killed by others, end up claiming SMALL territories - there's too many males to claim large territories.

Secondly, bettas who live in Klongs and Paddy Fields are wild. Pet Bettas are not. If you placed a pet betta in there, it would probably die. They simply are not as "street-smart" as wild bettas. Sure, bettas may be happier in a larger area, but most of them thrive in smaller homes because their instincts are set on claiming a suitable territory. To them, smaller homes are VERY suitable.

Lastly, pet bettas are adapted and used to living in smaller homes. While I agree that they should have the opportunity to experience life in a larger home... it's unlikely all bettas will get that. I've had several bettas live for YEARS in smaller homes.

To answer your question, "Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?".... No. But they do live in small territories (in the wild.) And Pet bettas are used to living in smaller homes.

#43 ·
Hi, while your article has many truths... it is quite flawed because you failed to take several factors in to account.

Firstly, you're right - they don't live in tiny mud puddles. But that does not mean they do not live in small spaces. Bettas are SIAMESE FIGHTING FISH. So while Klongs and Paddy Fields look big, it is really not how it seems. In the wild, they become VERY territorial, and when you have BIG spawns that survive, thats a whole lot of males considering the size of those things. The result? Those who do not get killed by others, end up claiming SMALL territories - there's too many males to claim large territories.

Secondly, bettas who live in Klongs and Paddy Fields are wild. Pet Bettas are not. If you placed a pet betta in there, it would probably die. They simply are not as "street-smart" as wild bettas. Sure, bettas may be happier in a larger area, but most of them thrive in smaller homes because their instincts are set on claiming a suitable territory. To them, smaller homes are VERY suitable.

Lastly, pet bettas are adapted and used to living in smaller homes. While I agree that they should have the opportunity to experience life in a larger home... it's unlikely all bettas will get that. I've had several bettas live for YEARS in smaller homes.

To answer your question, "Do bettas really live in "tiny" puddles?".... No. But they do live in small territories (in the wild.) And Pet bettas are used to living in smaller homes.
I agree with you in a way it annoys me that everyone always says that in the wild bettas have HUGE ponds not little mud puddles and act like each one has OVER 10 gallons of territory that there are very few bettas and that they have like I said HUGE territories they act like they know that in the wild bettas dont have large spawns or there are a lot but only about 3 survive I mean seriously people actually think about this

#9 ·
bettaboy said:
I agree bettas should be kept in at least 2.5 gallons, but you see - if no one used cups for bettas we wouldn't have bettas for pets. It would be to hard to breed and raise a spawn to adulthood if each betta had to have its own 2.5 gallon spot. So, be thankful that their are cups for bettas, otherwise you would've had to pay a fortune for yours... or you wouldn't have one
That's very true about it's good that they have Bettas in cups since the biggest reason why I got my Betta is since I thought it was able to even live in small areas like a cup or small bowl when I buy them at Pet Stores. When I saw them in cups I though they must be easy to take care and can live in any size bowls but it seems like you guys say that it's best to have a bigger tank for them. I guess Bettas can live in small bowls like mine but if you want the best then get a bigger tank. But I' am assuming that Bettas are easier to take care compaired to normal fish since I talked to some people and they say that they had a Betta fish for 3 or 6 years in a bowl like mine without the filter and other things and it didn't die and made alot of bubble nests. But I looks like for the best best and if you have alot of money then you should get a bigger tank and heater etc. One laddy said that she didn't even have a heater and it lived for 3 years so I guess that that means where ever she had that Betta it didn't get that cold as my room did since my room is downstairs so around winter time it kinda gets cold so I think I will need a heater at least so when winter comes again I can use that to keep the water warm so my Betta fish won't just sit still on the bottom of the bowl like last time again.

#10 ·
I personally think that 2 gallons is a good size for a single fish, they can move around enough for healthy exersize and it leaves room for 2 or so plants and a small cave or hidey hole. I have kept fish in smaller tanks but i think mine seem to be very happy in the sizes they have now.

#11 ·
my Betta "red" is in a 4ft tank with an abundant comunity.
he is doing extremly well,and his colour is viberant. :)
if there was even a sniff that things were going wrong
he would be set up in his own tank,however he's doing great.
:)

#12 ·
Lupin: While this is informative, and I think it's important that people understand the possible living conditions of betta in the wild, the point you're trying to drive home isn't neccisarily valid.

I have a friend who owns several beta throughout her home. It's important to remember that betta have remarkable varied personalities. One betta may greatly enjoy a tiny little bowl where it has just enough room to move around, while another may only enjoy having a GIGANTIC tank with all the fixings.

Just a thought.

Reactions: KZol
This post has been deleted
#13 ·

if you consider those puddles then by all means.

They get stuck in the shallow irrigation system when the monsoon rains come they flood out and the bettas go do their thing.

When my grandpa was in vietnam he used to write home about the fish all the time, even has some black and whites of them, however when the monsoon rains came he rarely had pics and rarely wrote about them other then saying they were gone.

I wouldnt put a betta in anything smaller then a 10g anymore.

#14 ·
bettas have been found in hoof prints (says Walt Maurus's book, Bettas a Complete Introduction) but they really live in hundreds of gallons, so much for the "they like small places" myth :p

#21 ·
To continue the original subject of this thread... I has a story that happened to me a few days ago :O

): Urgh, I went to this pet store that had a ton of bettas in tiny cups, and I was looking(/studying them and diagnosing any of them with illnesses to the associate working in the fish department xD; It was cool that he listened to me without being snobby about it) and this lady behind me (who I might add was listening to me ramble about betta fish) said to her boyfriend "Jeez, some people think it's SOOO cruel to have them in such a small container when they can live in puddles. They're SOO stupid."

I got so angry I almost spun around to yell at her that she was a stupid biatch. B| lol

#23 ·
To continue the original subject of this thread... I has a story that happened to me a few days ago :O

): Urgh, I went to this pet store that had a ton of bettas in tiny cups, and I was looking(/studying them and diagnosing any of them with illnesses to the associate working in the fish department xD; It was cool that he listened to me without being snobby about it) and this lady behind me (who I might add was listening to me ramble about betta fish) said to her boyfriend "Jeez, some people think it's SOOO cruel to have them in such a small container when they can live in puddles. They're SOO stupid."

I got so angry I almost spun around to yell at her that she was a stupid biatch. B| lol
hahaha and i used to be that person that thought they lived in tiny puddles wow i have come a long way from then

#22 ·
Don't you just love people who think that they are so smart and automatically know everything there is to know? Most of them have never researched a thing in their lives and just always speak through the hole in their head where their brain is supposed to be.

I would have turned around and given her an education!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know someone who use to live in malayia and traveeled through india, people use to keep them in jam jars and the person claims that it wasnt rare to find them in puddles but i think it is important to remeber that out there it is A) a differnt climated and B) man didnt put each betta in each puddle it happened as part of a flood.

If you insist on putting it in a vase get a vase which is at least 2 gallons (it really isnt that hard to find) and put a friggin heater in! purchasing your pet you become the owner, the reason animals are pets is because we have to control and look after them, it's the same for every pet.

#25 ·
It is true that Bettas don't permanantly live in puddles and this would be very uncomfortable and miserable for them but there are times when rice paddy fields dry up, I belive I read somewhere that rice has to go through a "dry stage" which is when the rice it is mostly sown into the ground, so that would leave water very scarce and so the betta fish would be forced to live for a short period of time in very little water.
Living in "puddles" and very small amounts of water is a last resort for the animal though and isn't very pleasant for it and as keepers of animals we should do all in our power to make them as comfortable and well looked after as we can. I think a 1 gallon tank is the very least I'd provide a betta with although I'd probably opt for a 2 or 3 gallon.
(if I'm wrong about anything then please feel free to correct me)

A small amount of water in a paddy field, if you look closely you might spot a fish, not sure what type it is.

#31 ·
The only reason they are able to coexist well is the fact they can establish territories without touching each other's boundaries. That's the whole point of why you cannot really combine more than one male betta in the same tank. A tank is an enclosed system. Nature on the other hand differs. You can't compare both at all.

#28 ·
I always found it odd when people would tell me that bettas dont mind the little cups they are stored in when at pet stores because of this myth...thanks for busting it, now I have some people to correct! :)

#32 ·
Ummm..Which fish? And which puddle are we talking about?

#30 ·
What do you mean put a fish in a large puddle?
Where do you think fish live in the wild?

(note, a large puddle in my mind is large- A few feet wide, a foot deep...
which would be close to 25-30 gallons if my math is right... a sq ft is close to a gallon...)

#34 ·
I really wish I was into Betta's when I was in thailand 6 months ago, I would've tried to go search for this stuff. But if I take a step back and look at nature as a whole, plenty of different fish end up in places that isn't preferable but they survive. Especially with monsoon seasons and droughts. Water goes up, water goes down, the area disappears and pockets, pools, puddles are formed. This is also as far as I understand, the reason bettas jump at night. To change location when this happens.

I doubt any fish could survive years in a natural body of water that is a foot square or less, simply because it's incredibly hot in Thailand, so that tiny amount of water would dry up in 2 days and you'd have a baked fish. Secondly, a bright moving fish, in a foot of water, would be easy prey for birds, wild dogs and any other predator.

#37 ·
If you mean puddles at least 1 1/2 inches, yes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.