Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #81 
McAttack

I really wish I was into Betta's when I was in thailand 6 months ago, I would've tried to go search for this stuff. But if I take a step back and look at nature as a whole, plenty of different fish end up in places that isn't preferable but they survive. Especially with monsoon seasons and droughts. Water goes up, water goes down, the area disappears and pockets, pools, puddles are formed. This is also as far as I understand, the reason bettas jump at night. To change location when this happens.

I doubt any fish could survive years in a natural body of water that is a foot square or less, simply because it's incredibly hot in Thailand, so that tiny amount of water would dry up in 2 days and you'd have a baked fish. Secondly, a bright moving fish, in a foot of water, would be easy prey for birds, wild dogs and any other predator.
McAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #82 
Mystic

Reading this thread I am so glad that the petshop I got my little guy from had some common sense. They do not keep theirs in the tiny torture chambers. They put theirs in the community tanks 1 to a tank and they have a small wall setup with 2.5 gallon tanks. Never seen a happier bunch of bettas. I personally keep my guy in a 2.5 gal on a corner table next to my sofa. He is so much fun to watch. He is a Crown-tail Betta.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #83 
Sizzlingtree

Talking Tiny betta containers at petstores

My husband and I have had our betta (and a female betta we got just yesterday) only two weeks and I am already a betta advocate. It takes everything I have to not bring every single betta I see at a petstore home because I hate to see them just sitting there in these tiny cup sized containers.

I saw two at the store yesterday that were dead- one of them had obviously developed popeye/cloud eye and died and was just floating around- it was a very pathetic sight.

Maybe I am projecting my feelings on to fish (lack of space and thinking about how I would feel locked in to a 6 ft by 6 ft room) but it is just so sad that these splendid fish are kept in such deplorable conditions.

My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday and we wondered why pet stores couldnt spend a bit more and maybe keep the male betta's in 5 gallon tanks with tank dividers (at least 1 gallon per betta) and female bettas in sororities.
Sizzlingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #84 
b3ttaf1sh

thanks, that was really helpful
b3ttaf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #85 
Felessan

ok i will be honest i thought that bettas lived in puddles befor i stumbled across this website and read this post now i will upgrade my .5 gallon bowl.
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #86 
BettiBetta

I just love this forum. As a new betta owner I am learning so much! Thanx guyz!
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #87 
PwnCho

I too, was misinformed at the pet store when I got my fish.

Luckily I've armed myself with knowledge from this site, and now I can provide a happier habitat for my scaly friend.
PwnCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #88 
BettiBetta

Since joining this forum I have upgraded all my betta bowls to 1 gallon size, given them all a live plant and a hiding ornament. I can't believe how much happier they are! They are much more active!
BettiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #89 
SemioticSleep

I think if you put a betta in a massive tank he would feel overwhelmed like putting a person in a mall and expecting them to live there. But also people put them in water less than 2 liters is wrong b/c the fish won't thrive. Also I was wondering if they are found in Klongs can you put them in ponds?
SemioticSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #90 
kirby13580

If you mean puddles at least 1 1/2 inches, yes!!!
kirby13580 is offline   Reply With Quote