Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #1 
hummingbird

Exclamation WHY does my Male Betta Chase my Female around?

I was wondering why my male crown-tailed betta chases my female around. I'm not sure if he's ready to breed or anything. I have noticed that when my female regular betta(cant think of any other name to describe her as), is hiding in nthe plants where he can't see her, his fins ae somewhat limp. As soona s he sees her, he races toward her and erects his fins in na flare type of way. I can't edxplain this behaviour. There's NO bubblenest and my female has no vertical breeding stripes n her body. her ovaculum is visible though.
Basically, I wish to know if this i sthe begginning stages to betta breeding. :)
Thanks in advance!
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 
tpocicat

Maybe, maybe not. Male bettas will react the same way if the female is receptive (has verticle lines) or not. If she isn't receptive, get her out, he may kill her.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #3 
hummingbird

They seem ot get along fine. I havehad them together for about 4 months. This just started happening. Actually when i first got them, my female kept chasing the male around. Now it's the oposite!
Are they breeding?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

You should never have a male and female together. Sometimes it can work, but he can kill her and vice versa. Females should be alone, or in a sorority (4+ girls). Sometimes, you can have a male with the sorority, but in a big tank (usually 40+ gallons) with the tank being densely planted. Even the most experienced people on here that I know, go against a male and female being together.

I have a friend who kept her male and female together, and it was the same thing. Fine, soem chasing, done.

If you are trying to breed them this is not a proper way to breed. They have to be conditioned (separate), and there is tons of research involved with breeding, plus live foods to prepare and buy (mostly online), plus medications for anything that comes up. They won't breed the way you have them... they are used to each other, and have not bred in 4 months, while being together.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 
hummingbird

I dont have enough money for a new tank to separate them. My tank is 60 gallons... Should i just buy 3 more girls since you said they can live together along with one male?
Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

60 gallons? ok that explains why they got along!!

Well, in that case... yes, you can. remember, the more girls, the less bullying. it evens out the aggression of the alpha female, so she doesn't single out a girl.

For the set up: Add lots and lots of plants if you can! live, like java fern, moss, moss ball, floating, sword.... Fake, like silk and fabric. And hidey holes. This breaks up the line of sight between females, and between females and male. It's essential to add plants when making a sorority (and with a male o_O )
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #7 
hummingbird

So far I have 1 BIG rock ornament and a bunch of plants. Where would i buy moss? Does it float?
You seem to know a lot about Bettas! When is Bretta breeding season?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Okay, well that works... try setting them up so that in every section there is a plant. Try leaving no bare spots. Usually, fish stores, even pet stores, will sell live or fake plants. You'll want to have short, tall and floating plants. Moss, attaches to ornaments, driftwood, rocks, gravel, etc. And I've been owning bettas since I was 13 (5 years) with tons of research, experience, experiment, etc

Betta breeding is a completely different section there really is no "season" for captivity bettas. In the wild, it would be when there is large amount of live foods, to ensure baby betta's survival rate. You can mimic the wild, with keeping the water warm (78 F) and a few other things here and there. I suggest researching first, even posting in the "breeding" section on this site. There are so many knowledgeable people on here. You'd need to have a proper set up, first. Conditioning them is needed.... which means you need 2 more tanks. one for the female, and one for the male in the breeding tank. I'd suggest waiting maybe a year, research, get what you need... it is expensive breeding bettas :o
Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 
GreenTea

Hi, and welcome to the forum. But stop! Females can live together, but not with a male in a 60 gallon!

The females will gang up on him eventually. You need to separate your fish unless you want a dead one. If you have a large vase or container you can float in your main tank, put the male or female betta in that temporary holding while you save for a separate tank, that would be good. Fish release hormones into the water and that set up could stress them, and most likely, one or more will die. You need to remove your male or female.

And you have money to buy more females, but not a tank... ??? Please do not add more fish.

I'd also like to add that bettas can have hundreds of fry, and that they would not survive. That chasing is just aggression. If you have gravel in your tanks, any eggs that might show up would just fall into the gravel and rot. Is your tank heated?

Last edited by GreenTea; 12-30-2011 at 02:37 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Better yet... why not divide the tank? :/ Idk if it'd work, Greentea, but would dividing the tank work? although the horomones will still be there, there cannot be physical aggression, and he could put plants along the divider to keep them from seeing each other.