Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #11 
hummingbird

Green Tea: Bettas are A LOT less expensive then a tank. I get my bettas FREE! If i was to buy a tank, I'd have to pay $250.00 and that just won't do.
hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

o_O why so expensive for a tank??? I'd say give the male a 5-10 gallon (I do!!! ) which shouldn't reach 80.00 o.o;;

Maybe as an alternative, is to divide the tank? You can easily get acrylic (clear plastic), and have the store drill holes to allow air flow, and fit it to your tank. That is cheaper than a tank too

Lucky, getting bettas for free
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #13 
hummingbird

I though Bettas needed 50 gallon or bigger. Thats what the guy at the store said. He said paying for a 50gallon tank for $250.00 was CHEAP! He said normally, the 50 gal tanks are close to 500.00!
Is this true because thats mighty expensive.......
Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

he swindled you out of your money. VERY much so. and he is so full of bull.... A 50 gallon, is regular 250.00 here. a 70 is 350-500. you, have been swindled really bad!! D:

Bettas, safely saying, need 3+ gallons. As long as their water can be heated to 78 F, and you keep up with cleaning, they are fine. a 10 gallon, is easier to cycle than a 3 (though a 3 can cycle), and easier to heat...to me anyways.

A heater: 10.00-20.00 maybe. or a bit more if it is adjustable!
A 10 gallon: 60.00 maybe. depends where you go.
plants and decor: ranges in price...depends what you want, how big, and how much.

did he also tell you to put a male and female together? I never trust associates anymore. 99.9% are lying, or do not know what they are talking about! Luckily, you came to this site. Bettas has a labrynth organ, allowing them to breath air from the top of the water. Males are solitude, and females CAN be in a sorority, except some who are just too aggressive!

my tanks: Shiloh, male VT in a 20 gallon. El Dorado and Riddle male VT's, in a divided 10 gallon, Shadow VT in his own 10 gallon, and females (4) in a 29 gallon.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-30-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #15 
hummingbird

Yes. he told me male and females can be kept together. Actually he said bettas can be kept in schools of 50-75 because they are schooling fish......I didnt think so but he told me he was an expert.....yeah right.
he also said that bettas will eat goldfish which I am still not sure about.
He was also trying to sell me an ornament no bigger than my hand for $50.00 because it was made out of high quality plastic material........
Please advise me! :)
I appreciate your help Sara!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

oh. my. god.
He is a wannabe expert. sorry. lol. I have NEVER seen a school of bettas, as bettas are loner fish... some can be in communities, females can school in large numbers usually (but then you don't know if sally, sammy, or janey go missing in large schools). You can get awesome ornaments, for 5-100 dollars, that are bigger than your hand he is stealing your money... Much like a scam artist.

It's goldies that can eat bettas... because they are bigger. Bettas, may eat smaller fish like shrimp, baby fish, bloodworms, etc... If you had stuck a betta with a goldfish about the same size, nothing would really happen...maybe some aggression. But, goldfish are coldwater, and bettas are tropical... so they shouldn't be together... which makes me ask... where did he get the "bettas eat goldfish" if they don't like each other's water conditions?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #17 
hummingbird

Thanks sara.....I came a bit late tho......I bught another tank(60 gal) for $550.00........oops......Bad deal right?
he oowns a small shop so i guess thats why he rips poeople off. I have to go fro dinner. E-mail me!
hummingbird1795@hotmail.com
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Yeah... well, all well not much you can do. I ask that you avoid his store... if you want the bettas, go for it... But, he is not a good person. There is a non-chain store here too, but the manager and his wife are nice people, and know their stuff. Their employee, sucks though. Get plants and such, from either another store if you can, or even online. so much cheaper, usually pretty good quality, and petco/petsmart have low shipping after a certain price

I also want to ask, (scared to ask) how much do you clean the tank? like, every week? 30%?

oh, and it's Sena, not Sara close though.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-30-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

Sadly, for the price of those two 60g tanks, you could have bought a house full of tanks for Bettas. I spend at the most $100 for a complete set up for a male betta and that's if it's all new stuff. Second hand, I've gotten away with a 15g for less than $50 for my 6 girls fully planted. I wouldn't be a happy camper walking back into that store!! He took you BAD. Although here, 60g tanks cost that much, but this is not what you need for Betta fish. You can give your fish 10g tanks, a 20g tank for a group of females and still pay a fraction of what you paid for two 60gs. I feel so so sorry for you.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #20 
hummingbird

Sena: Sorry for the name mix-up...just busy and all.
Anyways, I change the water 1 a month about 50%. Thats what the store person said. He also said that plants are terrible for bettas as they may get hurt from eating them......is this true as well?
He doesnt give me Bettas for free. I get them from a friend.
He sells his Bettas(crowntails and other types) for $15-20.00.
I thought that was a bit much especialy since i can get 'em for free.

He also says that most people overprice tanks, plants, decorations and fish. He says he gives me the best deal out there.
Isd this true? I can give you details if you want...I really don't want to be ripped off again.
Thanks Sena!