Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #1 
scootshoot

Best place to buy Play Sand??

Looking to add sand to my 15 gallon long. 50 pound bag should be enough?

Is there such thing as fish safe Play Sand? If so what brand or chemicals I should look out for on the bag.

Where do I buy? Planning to head out soon so hopefully someone with knowledge reads this...
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 
Tisia

I'm not sure what other types of sand are safe but I know silica sand is and that's what I've usually seen for the play sand. shouldn't really have any additives since they're meant for small children to play in and they generally have pretty sensitive skin. I'd be a bit wary about any unnatural colored sand, but I know I saw someone post about using some of the crayola colored stuff and it doing okay. I know home depot, lowes, and places like that carry it. wal mart does too. another option you may think about is pool filter sand. it's a larger grain so it doesn't get kicked up as easily and less likely to form anaerobic pockets, but it's usually a few more bucks. depending on your area it might be a bit harder to find as well. I had to go to a pool supply place for mine
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Thanks. I been doing some google searches. Saw the crayola colored sand, while I am sure it's safe gonna stay away anything colored. Will keep eye out for any additives and silica sand...

Do you think 50 pounds of sand will be enough to adequately cover the 15 long? Plan on having some live plants so will need adequate substrate.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
Tisia

yeah, did about a inch layer on 2 10's and a 20L with a 50lb bag of pool filter sand, and I still have some left, so you should be fine
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 
SmokeNLark

Yeah, don't go colored. Other than that, any play sand. If it's safe for children, it'll be safe for your fish.

50 should be enough. You'll end up dumping a lot when cleaning it. But I bought 80 lbs for my 55 and had about 10-15 lbs left over which I used for my 10.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #6 
Dragonii

If you want natural looking sand go to a pool supply store and ask for pool filter sand. 50 lbs bag will run you about $8 and the stuff works great. I used it for my 150 gallon tank because I needed a lot of sand. It's heavier than play sand and is usually pretty clean.

I have tried play sand and I find that it is too light. It tends to get into the filters easier.

Last edited by Dragonii; 01-22-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 
Dragonii

Here's an example.

Pool filter sand is widely used in African cichlid tanks.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 
fishy friend2

I got my sand from lowes. It was quick Crete playsand
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote