Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 
SummerOj

Real vs Fake Moss Balls

I was at Petsmart today to get marimo moss balls, but they were out. So I was just browsing the store and found these and bought 2:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...767037.2769279

In the water they look like real moss marimo balls and Komodo has been hanging around the one in his tank ever since I put it in there.... Has anyone else used these before? Do you prefer real or these fake ones? I am curious to see if they work like the real deal.
SummerOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
SummerOj

When I first put the fake moss balls in, they cracked O.o and air bubbles came out. But I assume since they are not real, then it's normal.
So far, everything is good with the fake ones.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
kfryman

I saw those the other day! Tell me what you think. If it is a nay I might get the real one, I just don't know about the price of the real.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Haha! I actually saw DEAD ones of those today. The store I went to had some out for display..totally black and brown. Which was kind of hilarious.

Actually all of their plants were dead. PROBABLY because they had almost nothing but straight up houseplants submerged in the water. I saw maybe 2 aquatic plants for every 10 dead plant that should be in the air.

And all those catnip/grass things were bone dry and brown as well! XD I don't think they cared about plants!

Just kind of funny to see something out on display to show how 'cool' it is..while they are just showing off a dead one! LOL!

I want to see yours!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #5 
kfryman

Cracked what do you mean? And a picture would be nice, I wanna see hoe it looks in water.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #6 
SummerOj

They were $5.49 each. According to the package: they trap phosphate, nitrite and nitrate, reduce organic matter accumulation, controls odor, and keeps the water clear.
kfryman- I will test these out this week and see if they help the water like they say they do...I'm not sure of the price on real ones, though i want to try a real one as well..
purplemuffin- Dead? The fake ones or the real ones? I've never seen a real moss ball dead. If it was the fake, then that's nasty because apparently they last about 2-3 months before they need to be changed.

OKay here's a picture of one in my new betta's tank... it looks real enough. the fibers even move with any currents...

Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
SummerOj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Cracked what do you mean? And a picture would be nice, I wanna see hoe it looks in water.
Cracked as in made the sound... like a bowl of rice crispies when you add milk lol
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

They're $5.99 here, or $9.99 for a real one. I'd never buy the fake ones when the real ones last so so much longer. Looks cool though!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

fake dead ones! I've never seen a real dead one either!

It was funny, it was so clearly java moss that had even grown super long. Weird!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #10 
dlite

Be sure to replace them after the recommended expiry date because all the nitrites, nitrates and what ever else the special resin absorbs will leak back into the water after a few months. I'd prefer a real moss ball over a fake one but I'm surprised at how real it looks
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote