Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 
Namazzi

Dropsy? Should I worry about my other betta?

Found my betta Sundance all bloated today.. Looked it up online and came across the disease Dropsy. Looked up dropsy in bettas and it looks just like what he has. The raised scales and all.. From what I read theres no cure for it?
Also, he's in a split 35 gallon. My other betta and neons being in the other half. Is this something I should worry about them getting too? I have a spare 3 gallon tank (its what he was in to begin with lol). Should any one or more fish be removed? I don't really know about fish diseases. Especially this one, it's the first I've heard of it ^^;

after looking more it says it's usually caused by feeding live foods.. though I've never fed live foods.. hmm.. odd..

Last edited by Namazzi; 12-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Namazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 
ThorAndGhost

Hi Namazzi,

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I came acorss something today that may be of interest to you.

First, I'm not as experienced as many other users, so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt.

From what I understand, there is no cure for dropsy, BUT ...

I did order some Maracyn Plus awhile back and it came in the mail today. Maracyn is extremely hard to find over here, so I need to order it by mail. Anyway, it said on the Maracyn Plus bottle that it treats dropsy! Now, I don't know how true this is, or how effective it is, but that's what it says on the bottle, and based on what I've seen with Maracyn I and Maracyn II, it's a highly effective line of products.

You may want to look into it and ask other members, but seeing as I've only ever heard that dropsy is almost always fatal, it couldn't hurt to give this stuff a try. You can probably find the stuff easily in the USA, so you're lucky, but in Canada it's almost impossible to come by. If need be I can show you some links from US companies, or Canadian companies that deliver to the USA.

Good luck!
ThorAndGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #3 
callistra

Quarantine him immedietly. Raise temp to 80F (slowly 1 degree per day). Add 1/8tsp per 5 gallons epsom salt and start Kanamyacin (kanaplex) by seachem treatment for 10-14 days.

There is a cure for dropsy. I have experience with it.

What is the temperature of your tank? Is it cycled? Have you checked ammonia? What and how much do you feed? None of your other fish are showing symptoms? I would check water parameters.

Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. General all over bloating is true dropsy. You can also have GI dropsy which is bloating just around the abdomen. All over dropsy is usually kidney failure and usually caused by a bacterial condition. Otherwise it can be caused by internal parasite condition but that's generally the GI dropsy. The Parasite is usually caused by feeding live but the bacterial is usually blamed on poor water or possibly contaminated food.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2011 at 03:07 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #4 
callistra

This forum doesn't let me edit.. so I just wanted to add that with dropsy timing is everything. You must treat immediately and follow through with the whole treatment time and not stop treatment just because he seems like he's getting a little better.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

Isn't that a little low for Epsom salts? Usually 1-3tps per gallon is suggested on here.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #6 
callistra

For a short dip but for treating whole tank I've found some fish can handle higher than others. Thought I was going to lose mine at 1/8th per gallon overnight soak but I've known fish to be okay at 1/4tsp per gallon for 5 days or so. 1/8th per 5 is effective for long term treatment and fish seem to be totally tolerant of it.

If he wants to try a dip idk that's outside my experience but I know it's used.

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

I've always used 1-2 tsp per gallon, in fact I have a boy who's been in this for 14 days now with daily 50% changes. My Hughie did the same as well. I have never heard of such a low dose before lol Interesting!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:54 AM   #8 
Namazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What is the temperature of your tank? Is it cycled? Have you checked ammonia? What and how much do you feed? None of your other fish are showing symptoms? I would check water parameters.

The tank is around 80 It is cycled, has been up and running for a couple of years with weekly water changes. It's of course filtered. lol (canister filter). Water levels all check out fine.. And I feed them Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets. about 4 a day. http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_14.html
I also will use a tiny pinch of Hikari Flake Tropical fish food http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_24.html for the neons. It goes on the side with the neons (with my other betta) and he is usually eating his pellets when i put it in there XD
All other fish seem fine.

But thanks a ton for the info. I moved him to the 3 gallon and started what you suggested ^^
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #9 
Namazzi

they really need to let us edit. lol. Here's some pics of him from about a half hour ago. :(

Its hard to get pics of him. Especially in a tank thats bowed XD

Last edited by Namazzi; 12-31-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #10 
callistra

Yeah my boy shed all his slime coat overnight with the 1/8tsp :\ I don't know what the deal was because I've used 1/4 tsp before just fine so I figured 1/8 was super super safe.. Guess not.

Oh yeah that's stereotypical dropsy.. If you wanted to try more epsom I would just say watch him carefully for signs of stress and be prepared to do a water change with adding less salts. If you want to do a tsp or more I would increase slowly and let him adjust to it and watch in between. Also epsom is magnesium sulfate and Kanaplex is a sulfur based medicine too so you want to be careful with using epsoms with sulfer based meds and not do too much.