Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 
Super Sly

Questions about tetra O algae control

Ok, so I've been having this brown algae problem lately and I got this algae killer from the lps. This is a last resort method and Im not going to use it unless I absolutely have to but on the back it says for use with ornamental fish and I don't know what that means. It also says to remove any activated carbon filters. So I was wondering why you would have to remove the filter.
Thanks in advance
Sly
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

It's talking about use with aquarium fish; ornamental fish is another name for the fish we keep. They can't just say for use with live fish because that would imply it can be used on fish for human consumption. The products that are used with foodfish are different from those used on aquarium fish. Anything that goes into the husbandry of foodfish must also be fit to go in a human body.

The reason you remove activated carbon is that it will absorb the chemicals and not allow them to work.

Is the algae problem really that bad that you have to use algicides? I've never encountered an algae problem that couldn't be solved with an algae scrubber and some hard work.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree...the algicides are just a quick fix-you need to find the root cause and fix that or it will just come back.....

For diatoms-this usually will resolve as the tank matures-until then-rub it off and siphon out with your regular weekly-twice weekly water changes
If this is a mature tank-then it may be old light bulbs or too short a photoperiod...change the light bulb and/or provide at least 6hr per day of light in unplanted tanks-if you have live plants 10h/day PP.

It normal and expected to have some algae in a tank of water that has both light and nutrients-some can be a sign of a healthy system, some can help the tank look more natural and some algae can host microorganism that the fish will graze on...but since this is a closed system we have to control it by manual removal with our water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I would be very careful with algicides. If you get the dose wrong, it can kill your fish or make them very sick. That is a very last resort method. My suggestion, and please people, correct me if I'm wrong, I would setup another aquarium, a temporary home, and I would just start over if it's really that bad that you're thinking of using algicides. Trust me, I've had an algae problem before and it's not fun when it gets really bad, but I have also heard horror stories about algicides.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
Super Sly

I wasn't saying that I am going to use it. I was merely trying to get the facts about it so if it does get really bad I know what to do. Trust me ill definitely put a scrubber to good use over the next few weeks. Someone on here said something about keeping the light on 24/7 and hope for a green algae bloom bit since I have fish in the tank that's kinda out of the question. So any suggestions on what to do along with the regular scrubbing that would help to hey rod of this algae?
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Need some more info.....how big is the tank, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, type of substrate and how deep, how much and how often are the water changes, how long has the tank been setup, is the tank cycled, what kind of lights, watts, kelvin, age of bulbs, photoperiod and stocking.

Do you have any water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH for both the tank and source water-and what type of testing products...

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote