Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 
twinjupiter

Question Need help finding small plant friendly bulb for a planted 10 gal sorority

So, the title says it all. I currently have a Deep Blue Professional light and hood for my ten gallon sorority. The bulb installed is Coralife ColorMax energy saver 12 inch 8 watt bulb. I also have a filter and heater set for around 79-82 degrees.
Plants in the tank are as follows: watersprite, amazon sword, anubis attached to drift wood, java fern attached to drift wood.
Now then, does anyone have any suggestions for a more plant friendly bulb i can install to help the plants grow better?
My java fern is currently browning and I am hoping a better light will help it survive. I have also added and am planning on continuing to add Excel Flourish and API Root Tabs as directed. Would placing a root tab inside the drift wood help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by twinjupiter; 12-30-2011 at 08:05 PM.
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

You can go to a home depot and get an 18 watt 6500K daylight bulb.. that should be good enough for those plants. Coraliffe does make a plant bulb but it'll cost more than the one from home depot.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
kfryman

The root tabs are only for plants that get most of their nutrients from their roots, so the swords could use them. Those are really the only plant that could use them. For the java fern, if no other plants are browning it is just that plant. Is it buried in the substrate or is it attached to something?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You can go to a home depot and get an 18 watt 6500K daylight bulb.. that should be good enough for those plants. Coraliffe does make a plant bulb but it'll cost more than the one from home depot.
Is there a website that sells the coralife bulb? I've looked at all my local pet stores and no-one carries a 12 inch plant friendly bulb
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
The root tabs are only for plants that get most of their nutrients from their roots, so the swords could use them. Those are really the only plant that could use them. For the java fern, if no other plants are browning it is just that plant. Is it buried in the substrate or is it attached to something?
The Java fern is attached to a piece of drift wood as seen on the far right in the picture.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 
twinjupiter

That was the setup about two weeks ago. Heres a picture from a couple minutes ago.

Tags
lighting, plants, sorority