Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #1 
Jamesrlang

sick fish

I have a betta that has been sick for a few days. I called Petco and talked with someone about it. The fish is alittle pale and is floating at the bottom of the tank nose down. I have given him "Betta Revive" but it does not seem to be helping. He also may have a sore on his side that if he were human would appear to be a scab. Can anyone help us? James
Jamesrlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #2 
callistra

Does he appear bloated at all? Is he abnormally skinny or a good weight? Is there anything in the tank that could have hurt him? How often does he poop and what does it look like? Is he eating? What? How much?

What is the temperature of the tank? What is the size? How often and how much of a water change do you do? Have you checked ammonia levels?

Pics would be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:43 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

This is the required form to fill out when seeking help with a sick Betta, I'm sure if you answer this it will help someone help your Betta :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #4 
Jamesrlang

So Mia Tia is in a 10 gal. tank that is heated to about 83 degrs. Others in the tank are a placostamos(?) eel and a shrimp. I change out water about every two weeks at about half the tank Istrted treating him with Tetracycline bu the personat eotol eto stop and use thereproduct ale Betta Revive and I have been doing this for about three days with no change. He is about 6 months old and has never been sick before. I feed him Omega One Betta Buffet flake ood twice a day but h has not eaten for two or three days. He seems to want to ( shows intrest) but nothing. I first started seeing a change in his color about two week ago but did not think much about it until he started to spend alot f his time at the top of the tank and then I found him nose down in the tank 4 days ago. I then did a water change and that seemed to help and the next day I put him in a bowl by alone so I could treat him. This Betta Revive I bought at Petco is a cure all type of med. it is for Protozoan Diseasae,Bacterial and Fungal. The person who sold it to me said it should work. Any thoughts?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Hi and welcome to the forum, James. I'm sorry to hear about Mia Tia. Betta Revive does contain a lot of potent medications but I generally find it best for external problems. Hold off on using it until we can pinpoint exactly what may be wrong. It's never good to medicate unless there is a true need to. :)

Is your fellow bloated? And does the scab look open or healed over? Is it very big, or the size of a scale perhaps?

If you haven't, do a partial water change now and see if that perks him up. Part of the problem may be his tank should have about 25-30% changed every week. Changing out 50% every two weeks may be resulting in a bit of shock to his system. It's always best to do smaller frequent changes than a big rare one.

Plecos get to be 24" long so I'd advise you to either get a very large tank or rehome your guy. And what kind of eel is this???

I'm concerned about ammonia poisoning in your guy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 AM   #6 
Jamesrlang

Sakura, I do appreciate your thoughts here. I know I should have been more on top of the water changes and will do better from now on. He does not appear to be bloated and the scab does appear to be healing but there is a white area at the rear of it like it may have been torn or just not scabed over yet. I did take some water into PetSmart about 2 or 3 weeks ago, when I fir started to see changes in him and they said it was fine. The pleco I have been told I should relocate and plan to soon, the ell I am not sure what kind he is I just know he is about 2 in. long and 1/4 thick and about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. My camera is charging now and hope to get a pic's in the morn. and maybe they will help all who are willing. I would like to thank all of you who have responded to my request and hope to hear from you when I post the pic's and more info. Thanks again and good night for now. James
Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I'm not familiar with freshwater eels so I'd love a pic. :)

I understand, it's easy to get behind on water changes. We've all done it before.

Not bloated is good. If he was bloated, I'd be concerned about a serious infection but it looks like we may have caught it in time. As for his wound, I'm wondering if he perhaps got the scab from one of the other fish. Always possible when there are tankmates.

Leave your little guy in his own bowl for about a week or until he shows signs of getting better. If you can, either float the bowl in the big tank to keep it warm or get a small heater for it. Warm water will really help him keep his strength up. Try to change the water in his bowl once a day and let's see if his behavior perks up with clean water. If he doesn't show any signs of improving after a few days, post back and we'll see if he needs any treatment.

I'm sorry you'll have to rehome your pleco. It's never easy giving up a pet.

Good luck with your guy and keep us posted. And good night. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote