Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #1 
AngesRadieux

Should I Start Thinking About a Smaller Tank?

Regulus seems to be a very nervous fish. I posted about him a few days ago; he's my new, very handsome halfmoon. I got him a little over a week ago and put him in Salazar's old 2.5 gallon tank. He spent almost all day hiding in one of the caves. Now he comes out once in a while and he's eating, but when I feed him he comes to the surface very cautiously and the instant he has a pellet in his mouth he dives back down and hides again. With his flakes and FD bloodworms, he only eats when I turn around to feed Severus and he thinks I'm not looking or if the food sinks and he doesn't have to come up to the surface. Is it possible that he just isn't happy in so much space? Should I think about buying a smaller tank for him?

Today when I changed the water I decided not to put the filter back in to see if the reduced current will make him happier. Next time I'm out, I'll probably also pick up some new stuff to put in his tank to see if more cover helps... But I'm starting to think he just needs a smaller space...
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #2 
Zappity

Give him a little more time, I just got my boy a 5.5gal the other day and he wouldn't go out in the open side, just stayed in the plants. Now he's swimming everywhere, and following us around the tank when we walk by :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #3 
AngesRadieux

Okay. He seems a little better without the filter, but he still hides if my hand gets too close to his tank. How long do you think I should wait before looking into a new tank?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
Zappity

Well.. if he's been in there a few days already, give him until Monday and if he's still scared, try getting him some more plants/cover/caves. If that still doesn't help, then I'd try downsizing ;]
Old 12-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 
kitkatbar

It just takes some time to get used to things. Unless he seems super stressed out, I may be wrong but I might give it longer like two 2-4 weeks. It took awhile for my betta to stop being afraid of my hand. He loves his tank now though.

It's hard to pinpoint what is causing stress when everything is new to him. If he is still scared of everything after a month then maybe I would think there was some merit to getting a new tank...

Regulus is a nice name by the way! :)
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #6 
AngesRadieux

Thanks. =) I've named all my fish after Slytherins so far.

The only problem I have with getting him more hiding places is that some of the caves in the pet store have such sharp edges... There was one I was going to get for Salazar before he died but as soon as I picked it up I realized it would end up messing up his tail... And Regulus has such long fins... I could get more silk plants, but he seems to really like having things to go inside of. I guess I'll find something.

That's the thing I really like about my plakat, Severus. He's much easier to buy things for. His tail never seems to have any problems, he's never had problems dealing with the current from filters, etc. But I do think Reg's fins are beautiful, even if they make finding suitable decorations a little more challenging.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #7 
Wolfboy51

My fish ezio used to be like that, he would hide a lot and didnt realy trust me, now he swims up to me whenever im in the room, and loves the space, he will even swim through my fingers :)
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

Spidey was like this when I got him home, he's still very cautious and shy. Its just his personality :) Give him time, he'll come around. Also, put him in a high traffic area if he's not already. The constant movement and seeing people will help him.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #9 
Zappity

Try this cave; http://compare.ebay.com/like/1207808..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
It's very smooth. I got it for my betta (from Meijer) and blocked the top hole cuz it's a little small and he loves it. My Guppies have one too.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #10 
kitkatbar

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71617

This cave looked pretty neat. Nice and basic. Walmart
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote