Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #1 
waveseeker

Betta's fin not moving, and has white all around it.

so, the betta i have had for almost a year's left fin has stopped moving when he swims, he swims slowly, does not care for food anymore, and i have noticed the scales around that fin look dead, i mean, as if all the color on the inside have gone, and are gray.

What fish disease is this? and is it far too late for curing it?

additional data,

I just did a 100% waterchange, added four neon tetras, and put liveplants and substrate into the tank a few days ago...

Last edited by waveseeker; 01-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
waveseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need more information and pic....complete this and post...

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 
waveseeker

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? A ten gallon filter.0
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nothing other then what the filter pushes in
Is your tank heated? yes. at 78 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a smallish plecto, and 4 new neon tetras.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon bettaFOOD and (new) frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? two pellets or small worm chunks twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every few weeks,
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just dechlorinators.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

No idea on any of that.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? left fin nor moving when he swims, and gray-ish white scales around it. very dead looking.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swims slowly, and will not eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? started this morning. he ate last night...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet,
Does your fish have any history of being ill? around 5 months ago he started losing fins, he is a crowntail, but he had gotten better, and they grew back for the mostpart.
How old is your fish (approximately)? storebought 8 months ago.

I cannot get a picture that will show it with my cellphone. sorry.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank and start a 10day aquarium salt 2tsp/gal treatment, tannins and water changes-be sure to use a lid so he doesn't jump out and attach it to the side of the tank so the Qt doesn't sink.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1hour today

Tomorrow start 50% daily for 3 days using the Tx water.On day 4 make 100% with the Tx water-repeat this schedule for 10days...then re-acclimate him back to fresh dechlorinated water to get ready to add him back to his tank.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

Keep us posted....
Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #5 
waveseeker

uh, i'm not sure what half of these things are, and the other half i do not have, xD any idea on what price range i am looking at?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveseeker View Post
uh, i'm not sure what half of these things are, and the other half i do not have, xD any idea on what price range i am looking at?
Aquarium salt = Last time I checked it was $4 for the smallest box. ( API brand @ Petco )
Tannin ( Indian Almond Leaf ) = Sold on ebay for about $6-12 shipped... depending on the size, grade, and amount. Majority of them are sellers from thailand and singapore, so it wont arrive until 1-2 weeks later.

QT = Quarantine
Tx = Treatment Water

Last edited by Roxy; 01-05-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

For QT-if you bought your Betta in one of the small temporary cups with a lid...these work great for a QT container-but anything small and fish safe will work-be sure and attach it to the side of the heated tank so it doesn't sink-I use duct tape for mine...

Aquarium salt (Sodium chloride) pickling salt, kosher salt will work

Tannins-Indian almond leaf (IAL) usually have to get this online...I use Oak leaf from my Oak trees-naturally dried and fallen from the tree-18-20 crushed per gallon

For the 1gal jug-I use an old 1gal milk jug

Cost can vary from free to a few dollars-all depends on your location and what you have on hand...
Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 
waveseeker

well, i don't have any of the leaves, and they wont be able to arrive for a while. any substitute in maryland?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #9 
waveseeker

update, It is now white around a black chunk of it, it's the size of half of his left side, and he is sitting in the bottom corner of the QT, i am afraid he will not survive the night. :(
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #10 
waveseeker

WELL! sorry for triple posting, but it is time for this forum to come to a close,

i found him dead this morning, stripped of most of his fins, i found the debrees floating all around the tank. he was all white, other then the black around his fin, where it seemed to have started.

But, does anyone have anyone have any idea what would do something like this?

the new changes in the tank were

4 new neon tetras (with food for them)
new frozen bloodworms.
i did a 100% waterchange, added live plants and soil under the gravel.

all at the same time, he was found with the black spot the next day, and it spread all over him like wild fire.

RIP Jay, 8 months.