Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 
arianaburns

Unhappy Sideways! HELP

Hey all, im new to the forum. This is my first post/thread. I have a male orange betta (ted) and a female blue and red betta.

My female i just got yesterday from a friend. I havent had time to get her a bigger aquarium so she is still in the marine cube my friend bought for her. Her front half seems bloated and she is on her side. She is still eating. She swims sideways and upside down sometimes. I dont know whats wrong with her but im afraid in the morning she'll be floating belly side up if you get my drift . What should i do? PH level is 7, and i did a 25% water change last night. She does have a golden snail in the cube with her but they ignore each other. Please help!!! Thank you

Housing
What size is your tank? the female is in a 1/4gal cube
What temperature is your tank? 74 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a golden snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bloodworms and nutrafin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? so far 1 time - only had her one day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
none i let the water sit for 48 hours

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? only pH

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? sideways and bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swims sideways
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 20 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? im not sure

Last edited by arianaburns; 12-31-2011 at 10:32 PM.
arianaburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #2 
ArcticRain

Well, first. If you have Water conditioner on hand do a 100% water change and use the conditioner. If you dont have water conditioner, I recommend you buy water conditioner ASAP! It is better for your fish and you don't have to wait 48 hours before doing a water change.
Another thing, I would take out the snail as soon as possible. The bio load is too high for you to only be doing 25% water changes. When do you plan to get her a bigger tank? What size? Are you going to get a heater?
How much are you feeding her each time?
That's really all I can tell you, hopefully a more experienced member will come to help! Oh, and welcome to the fourm!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-31-2011 at 11:04 PM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #3 
arianaburns

I dont have any water conditioner - i used the last of it 2 days ago when i did a full water change on ted's tank. I plan to get her a bigger tank Monday, a 2.5gal is my ideal plan, maybe a 1.5. The bigger the better but im afraid i wont have a place to put the 2.5 gal so it might just be a 1.5, we'll see. Im going to get a heater, i have to buy a new one anyway since teds quit working sometime last night. Im feeding her as much as she will eat in 5 minutes.

So, shopping list is :

1 - aquarium
2 - heaters
1 - water conditioner

Anything else i should get? Im afraid shes not going to be swimming by morning... Her front half of her body is swollen like a pea. I moved the snail to a cup, i might add it back since she'll be moving to a larger aquarium
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #4 
ArcticRain

You really can't put a snail in with your betta in a tank smaller then a 5 gallon, cycled.
I really think you should go to the store tomorrow to buy water conditioner at least. You need to do a 100% water change but, i dont want you to do it without using the water conditioner. Your list sounds good but, don't forget some soft plants for her to rest on!

Do you feed her flakes and bloodworms at the same time?

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-31-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #5 
arianaburns

No i feed her flakes morning and night and the bloodworms at lunch time. Ive had sandra (blue snail) in the 2.5gal aquarium with ted for 6 months and theyve been doing great, are you sure they cant live together?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

Bloodworms should only be fed Once or Twice a week as a treat. And you should feed Three bloodworms at a time.
With the flakes you should only feed her, twice a day. Four flakes each time. If you feel the need to feed her lunch only give her one flake. It is said that a bettas stomach is as big as their eye. She is probably bloated due to over eating. Fast her for one day and see if she improves. If no improvment is seen you can fast her for another day. If it still doesn't improve something more serious may be happening. Then you will need to seek more answers from the fourm. This is as much info. I can give you on the matter of bloating. I still hope a more experienced member will come to clarify my treatment methods.

I'm not saying that the snail and Betta can't live together. I am saying that the bio-load being produced by the Betta AND snail is to much for a tank under 5 gallons. To clarify, all animals (bettas and snails included) produce ammonia. We do water changes to remove that ammonia. In a small tank with one ammonia producing source, it is easy to keep the ammonia at a non-toxic level. In the same size tank with double the ammonia, it would be very hard to keep the ammonia at a non-toxic level. In a bigger tank the ammonia wouldn't build up as fast because of the larger water volume. Long story short, in a smaller tank you have to do double, maybe triple the water changes to keep the ammonia at a non-toxic. In a bigger tank the ammonia wouldn't build up as fast, so you wouldn't have to do as many water changes. Get my point? Sorry if this makes no since at all. I tried to explain it clearly! I recommend you ask around the Betta Fish Compatibility part of the fourm to get some further suggestions about what to do with your snails. :)

Last edited by ArcticRain; 12-31-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #7 
arianaburns

Crazily enough, I actually understood that!!!! LOL Thank you! My snails will be finding a home soon, and Sasha (female betta) will be on a NEW strict diet! Thank you so much! Poor things... i feel super bad now :( I thought id dont all the research and learned everything and here i am making them sick. Shemane and Sandra will have to go... at least to a new aquarium :) Maybe theyll be housed in the cube once Sasha moves out
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

Don't feel bad. We all make mistakes, what matters now is that your doing something to fix them. :) And your welcome, happy to help! Hope your girl gets better!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #9 
arianaburns

Sasha didnt make it.. :(
I found Shemane and Sandra new homes though.
Ted is doing quite well still so i am happy with that :)
Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #10 
ArcticRain

Hmm, that's surprising. Bloat is only deadly in extreme cases. Did you get a picture that you could post? It may have been something else. At any point did her scales seem to be sticking out (pine-coning)? I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-01-2012 at 09:51 PM.