Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

I'm thinking such a large change might be really stressing him out. What size is your hospital tank? To go from such a small area, to such a big one as a 10g tank might be a bit much for him. Usually with mine, I gradually upgrade until they are in the max sized tank. Sadly, not everyone can do this lol

I think eagle may be correct in thinking this 10g might be too open and big for him.

Other than that, water type and heat may play a part. You said he was in a hospital tank, what was he being treated for? And were you using anything in the hospital tank water like meds or salts? Have you cut down on meds/salt before putting him into a new tank, instead of 100% change?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Hrrmm I'm seeing now that he's been in this tank before. It does sound like stress, just have to figure out WHAT the stress is! lol Maybe you could try lowering the water like Sena said, and let him get used to the tank again. My guys only loose color when they are stressed out (or sick).
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

yes he is my avatar. My golden boy!!! Was supposed to be my breeder male, but he has shown to not wanna-be-bred, so all well

Is there any other changes? like... did his tank move from an old spot? Shadow never flared. Now I have his tank beside the computer and he tackles the filter so he can flare at his reflection behind it.

Any other fish he was used to seeing? or a TV even? (yes, I have a betta who watches TV with me)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #14 
Comet1993

The hospital tank is a little under a gallon. Originally, he was being treated for suspected fin rot. I tried aquarium salt, and he refused to tolerate it; he swam around like a crazy fish and gasped and lost color.. And it really scared me. So, I took him out of it. I tried it again later... Same reaction.. So, I just put him in the hospital tank and watched him and changed his water.. And his fins weren't getting better.. But they didn't seem to be getting worse, either. So, we decided it may just be tailbiting and that putting him back in the ten-gallon may be best, so he could have more room and stimuli and such. So, I tried to put him back in the ten-gallon.. And...you know the rest of the story. >.>
Lovely fish, Sena Hansler. He is such a nice bright yellow. o.o I don't think I've ever seen another fish with that color. You picked out a gem when you got him.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

How much aquarium salt did you use? Maybe you used too much.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #16 
Comet1993

I only used 1 teaspoon/gallon.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

So he does ok in the hospital tank and freaks out in the big one? Are you just putting the salt in the hospital tank or the big one, too?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Thanks he was a return from a different store, to this bad store. I saw him, and snatched him up because never in my life have I seen that yellow on a betta :o

Can I ask how you dissolve it? do you acclimate the mixture before adding? You could also try... lowering the amount you add per hour or something, maybe? I've known some bettas who cannot tolerate small doses of AQ salt (no idea why)
Old 01-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #19 
Comet1993

I was only using it in the hospital tank; then, I stopped when he freaked out. I haven't used the aquarium salt in a while now. He seems to be fine now; it was just when I tried to put him in the ten-gallon. At first, I'd put the salt in the gallon and shake it up and wait a little while.. Then, Sakura8 suggested that I pre-mix it in a smaller container with a little water, add it to the jug, fill the jug the rest of the way up, and dechlorinate it.. So, I did that.. :/ Still didn't work. So.. That's when I stopped doing the salt treatment. After I put him in the ten-gallon, he got all of the odd color changes. So, I took him out, because I'm all paranoid and got afraid even more when I started seeing the red. It took a while, but he got his color back some.. Then, it went away a little.. Then, a lot... I turned off his aquarium light and have him in the hospital tank, "floating" in the ten-gallon.. This morning, his coloring was better.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

hmm it may be the space then. and he also, may have an extremely low tolerance of aquarium salt.... he could be allergic to it (possible).