Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #1 
chrish

Help! Is my Betta sick? Pics included!

Hi all!

About a week and a half ago I inherited a male betta from a relative who didn't want it anymore. Full disclosure - I don't really have any recent experience with fish, aside from when I was a teenager 10+ years ago.

Anyway, she gave it to me in a tiny 1g tank with no light and no heater. I suspect she wasn't very diligent with water changes. I immediately went out and bought a 5g tank kit along with an immersible heater, Seachem Prime and Stability, and an API Water Test Kit. I've spent the last 5 days getting the tank ready - cycling and whatnot. In the interim, I've done 50% water changes on the old tank just to be safe. I finally moved it him over yesterday, and to be honest, this was the first time that I actually got a really good look at him (the tank kit has 16 LEDs - pretty bright!). I'm concerned because he appears unhealthy. His tail looks pretty ragged, and he has some grey coloration on the head - which I don't believe is natural.

I've attached pictures below. Full size images at: http://imageshack.us/g/861/img0987c.jpg/ Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by chrish; 01-09-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added link to full size images
chrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #2 
acez231

I'm sorry if this couldn't help(cuz' im only a kid)but about the fin thing I think its finrot I read some of it in the web and they said thre was a water conditioner or somethin' that could help him heal other than that try asking a petstore I hope I helped
acez231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #3 
acez231

You can also try letting him see another male (in a different tank of course) and see if he stretches his fins while flaring that's what i do when my bettas became bored
Good thing that you bought him a bigger tank are those artificial plants or live ones
acez231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 
youlovegnats

Hello, and welcome!
His coloration looks fine to me, nothing to worry about.
Yes, his fins are badly torn, but they will heal in time. You can either leave him in his 5 gal, or you can do an Aquarium Salt treatment (which will help speed up his healing process).
The AQ treatment will have to be in a small container though.
You just add 1tsp. of AQ salt per gallon and dissolve it in warm water before adding it the solution to the tank (up to 3 tsp at most) for 7-10 days. You will also have to do 100% water changes, adding the salt solution each time.
Good luck!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote