Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Transporting a Cycled 5 gal

First of all, Happy New Year!

I will be heading back to college in about a week, and wanted to clarify a few things about moving my tank and betta back to my dorm. My commute is about 5 hours.

Since my tank is cycled, I figured that if I took the sponge from my filter and put it in a tupperware container filled with tank water it should keep the bacteria alive and maintain most of the cycle.

Is there anything else I should do to keep as many of the bacteria alive for the trip?

Also, I found a nice Styrofoam container that should fit my betta and the sponge container. I'm only concerned about Cobalt bumping into the sides of the container he came in if I hit a few bumps in the road.

Also, what should I do about access to air?

The attached pictures are the setup of the Styrofoam container
Attached Images

AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With a 5 hour trip you should be fine as long as you keep the filter media wet...I would take as much of the water out of the tank that you can to transport-but bring a couple of gallons of fresh water from your house to mix with the new dorm water and once you get the tank setup-do a slow acclimation by adding small amounts of the new tank water to his holding container over 30min or so.

If the two source water are really different-I would start out with smaller water changes-in the 25% range a couple of times a week for the first couple of weeks then 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality...

Your plan for transport of the Betta looks good-he should be fine-since in the water they are buoyant he shouldn't get knocked around or hit the sides and he will be able to get air without any problems as long as he has enough head space in the cup...

Have a safe trip.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
With a 5 hour trip you should be fine as long as you keep the filter media wet...I would take as much of the water out of the tank that you can to transport-but bring a couple of gallons of fresh water from your house to mix with the new dorm water and once you get the tank setup-do a slow acclimation by adding small amounts of the new tank water to his holding container over 30min or so.

If the two source water are really different-I would start out with smaller water changes-in the 25% range a couple of times a week for the first couple of weeks then 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality...

Your plan for transport of the Betta looks good-he should be fine-since in the water they are buoyant he shouldn't get knocked around or hit the sides and he will be able to get air without any problems as long as he has enough head space in the cup...

Have a safe trip.....
Wow awesome info thanks!

Do you think I should periodically open the styrofoam lid to let fresh air in the container?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome,
Since it is just 5-6 hours-I think he will be fine-they travel 100's of miles in a tiny bag and generally do just fine....I would keep an eye on the temp if it is cold in your area-another thing-place him on the car seat not on the floor since the floor sometimes can get really hot and over heat him.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 
AcrimoniousArbiter

I figured I'd update this letting you know Cobalt got here safely and all is well
Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Great...good to hear all went well....